User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

nVidia 7800GT, connectors too close?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
nVidia 7800GT, connectors too close?
starcat102

2006-02-11, 06:37

I have just got the nvidia 7800GT graphics card and besides of the loud fan I have noticed that both DVI connectors are too close to each other. In other words I am unable to connect two latest Apple 23" HD displays because the DVI connectors on their cables are made mechanically too wide to fit both to each other the DVI connectors on the nvidia card. One connector only fits just fine, the problem is connecting the second. Also the current DVI-to-VGA adapter won't plug in because it is about the same width. On the 6600 there is definitely more space between both DVI connectors. Non-Apple connectors fits just right!

Can anyone with a 7800GT and two Apple displays confirm this?

Have I got an "old" release 7800GT card, or have I to use some sort of nvidia adapters?

Last edited by starcat102 : 2006-02-11 at 13:17.
admactanium

2006-02-11, 19:19

i have two monitors plugged into mine. they're sony's but i didn't have any issue placing the plugs in side by side.
starcat102

2006-02-11, 21:46

I also tried with non-Apple monitors and they fit fine. The problem seems to be only when one connects two Apple connectors which seems to be wider then those on other monitors. Not sure if I want to cut out the edges with a dremmel or finding some sort of non-Apple DVI-male to DVI-female cable extension (couple of inches may be enough). Anyone has seen such extension/adapter "cable"?
theyoda3

2006-02-13, 16:14

Try www.cablestogo.com maybe?
dfiler
Veteran Member

2006-02-13, 16:30

Time to bust out the Dremel.

But seriously, I've had to do this a few times for various plugs on electronic gear.
starcat102

2006-02-18, 09:07

Ok, guys, here is the solution:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302702

obviously because the 6600 is manufactured directly by Apple the connectors are ok for fitting Apple's own Cinema Display cables. But the 7800GT and the Quadro are manufactured by Asus and in fact are the same hardware as the PC versions only the firmware differs, the connectors are too close to fit Apple's own displays. All PC monitors fit well because their connectors are not as wide.

Clever design. What have stopped them from using standard size DVI connectors? Just the same as on one end of the adapter!
gck

2006-02-18, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcat102
Clever design. What have stopped them from using standard size DVI connectors? Just the same as on one end of the adapter!
Apparently, they are using the smaller size now (don't know if there really is a "standard" for connector plastic enclosure size): I ordered a 23" ACD together with my 7800GT-equipped Quad, and the connector on the display is exactly as wide as the smaller one on the adapter cable that came with the Quad.

So if you order your two displays together with a new Power Mac + 7800GT right now, you might not even need the cable! That's probably the reason why they use phrases like "may not be able to connect" and "on certain models" etc... in that bug article.

Last edited by gck : 2006-02-18 at 17:00.
starcat102

2006-02-18, 17:10

I see, thanks! I have ordered my 23" Cinema Displays in december, so this may be why the connectors are too wide, because they are the old version. I am now thinking about upgrading to 30" and hopefully I will get the proper cables with those displays.

Cheers,
Bob.