User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Shortcut to view Info of All Volumes/Exts?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Shortcut to view Info of All Volumes/Exts?
williamb

2007-07-10, 07:53

How do I get a make a shortcut to view this window? I tried clicking the icon at the top middle of this window where it says "John's Computer" and dragging it, but nothing happened.

[IMG]http://img182.***************/loc344/th_71633_Picture_7_122_344lo.jpg[/IMG]
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-10, 08:07

In the Finder, use command-shift-G to go to /Volumes. You should be able to create an alias of that folder.

/Volumes is the default mount point for all volumes, both local and remote.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
williamb

2007-07-10, 08:16

Thanks, Brad. I tried that just now, however it takes me to just the volume aliases, which don't show the information like the original image I posted. Hmm, I'm stumped.

[IMG]http://img160.***************/loc920/th_73076_Picture_1_122_920lo.jpg[/IMG]
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-07-10, 08:21

You can also access those same contents (albeit in a different fashion) by command-clicking on any Finder titlebar and then selecting the bottom-most item. Or go to Finder -> Preferences -> Sidebar, and select Computer as an item to show in your sidebar.

Unlike the /Volumes folder, this pseudo-folder will not display the alias flags on your drives. This was probably where you saw the window in the picture above.
williamb

2007-07-10, 08:24

Majost, thanks. That worked perfectly.

Between your post and Brad's, I've learned a bunch of commands. I never knew about the preferences for the Finder.

By the way, I'm writing this from Seoul, Korea. Have a good day, you two.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-07-10, 08:26

Not a problem. Have a good night.
¡Damned!

2007-07-10, 08:48

I must need more coffee, because I'm not getting this. Doesn't everyone just hit 'Command-N' to get this window?

[edit]: I see now. In Finder Preferences>General I have 'New Finder windows open: Computer' selected. That seems to be another easy way to get this window to pop up.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-10, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamb View Post
Between your post and Brad's, I've learned a bunch of commands. I never knew about the preferences for the Finder.
I'm glad to have helped.

For what it's worth, I usually recommend everyone browse through the preferences of their favorite (or at least frequently used) applications. The preferences should always be accessible from the same place: the bold "application" menu. Learning the various settings helps to make you a more knowledgeable, capable power user.

When trying out any new application, two of the first things I do are check out the customizable options for the window toolbar (right/control-click in the window's top toolbar/buttonbar, choose "Customize Toolbar...") and browse the application's preferences.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.