World-class a-hole almost commits Super Bowl massacre

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
World-class a-hole almost commits Super Bowl massacre
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-02-08, 07:49

Holy. Crap.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

This idiot, mad because he was denied a liquor license months earlier, arrived at the Super Bowl area last Sunday with a rifle and 200 rounds of ammo, prepared to "make people pay".

From the article:

Quote:
A would-be bar owner angry at being denied a liquor license threatened to shoot people at the Super Bowl and drove to within sight of the stadium with a rifle and 200 rounds of ammunition before changing his mind, federal authorities said.

Kurt William Havelock, who ultimately turned himself in, had vowed to "shed the blood of the innocent" in a manifesto mailed Sunday to media outlets, according to court documents. "No one destroys my dream," he wrote.
Get help, pal.

Quote:
A few months ago, Tempe officials denied Havelock's application for a liquor license for a Halloween-themed bar called The Haunted Castle, city spokeswoman Shelley Hearn said.

"There were some neighbors who came forward and said it wasn't the right business for their part of Tempe," she said. "They'd heard he wanted to call his place 'Drunkenstein's.' "
Gee, can you blame them? I wouldn't want such a cheesy-named place in my neighborhood either. Drunkenstein's? Really?

Quote:
The FBI said in the complaint that Havelock had planned to attack Super Bowl fans at the stadium in what he called an "econopolitical confrontation."
Is that even a word? I guess so. I've just never heard it used before.

Quote:
"I will not be bullied by the financial institutions and their puppet politicians," Havelock wrote in the eight-page manifesto, according to the complaint.
Uh-oh...one of those guys, huh? I think we all know the type...

If this deranged knob had put 1/3 of the effort into naming his dream bar as he obviously put into his eight page "manifesto" (I couldn't write eight pages about my entire life), then maybe this all could've been avoided. You can babble on for eight pages about your trampled dreams, but you can't come up with something better than "Drunkenstein's"? Even "The Haunted Castle" kinda sucks (if that was the real name).

There's your problem, slick. Priorities and focus.

Quote:
"I will test the theory that bullets speak louder than words. Perhaps the blood of the inculpable will cause a paradigm shift. ... Someone has to start the revolution but no one wants to be first."
That's funny. Actually you're about to "test the theory" of how badly a tacky, no-clue-having wingnut can get ass-raped in county lockup. Good look with that. Perhaps the blood of the idiotic will cause a paradigm shift...someone has to take it in the laundry room, but no one wants to be first.

This goes down as one of the more idiotic, "WTF?" stories I've seen in a while. And to think that last Sunday's good vibe - exciting game, Petty's performance, etc. - came this close to being undone by this clown.

Amazing. And sad, if that had been the story of the day instead. Sometimes we just never really know how close we come to nutty stuff like this. All it would've taken was for him to follow through with his master plan and squeeze off a few rounds, and a wonderful day would've been ruined by one idiot. Kinda scary...

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-02-08, 08:16

Wow.

Manifesto writing. That's where the party is!

Last edited by Mugge : 2008-02-08 at 09:45.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-02-08, 08:31

Who the fuck turns themselves in for a crime they almost committed?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-02-08, 08:33

Methinks "manifesto" makes his prattling letter sound more cogent than it actually was.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-02-08, 08:34

I guess he thought he needed help, and scared himself that he came *that close*.

He certainly did open a whole can of worms for himself, huh? He could've just quietly driven back home and never spoke of it, but I guess he felt that wasn't enough?

Probably no use trying to figure this guy out. He seems a bit off to begin with, if wiping out complete strangers on Super Bowl Sunday is his "solution" to being denied a liquor license for some shitty bar that nobody was asking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
Methinks "manifesto" makes his prattling letter sound more cogent than it actually was.
Yeah, ever since that whole Unabomber thing (am I spelling that right?), the media loves that word. I wish they'd just say, instead, "badly written rantings of a known shithead/possible wingnut".

"Manifesto" makes it almost sound lofty and noble.

veryamusing

2008-02-08, 08:42

Do you think he could be charged with attempted murder or something similar? He had the means, motive and opportunity, just no clearly defined victims... Scary stuff indeed.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-02-08, 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryamusing View Post
Do you think he could be charged with attempted murder or something similar? He had the means, motive and opportunity, just no clearly defined victims... Scary stuff indeed.
For a crime to take place, there needs to be an an offender, a victim and a lack of guardianship. None of those happened. Well, I always thought they were the cornerstones of an offense.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2008-02-08, 08:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit
Who the fuck turns themselves in for a crime they almost committed?
Someone who has mailed a manifesto to the press, backs down, and is suddenly terrified of being mowed down by the FBI?
Chinney
Veteran Member

2008-02-08, 12:11

The Super-Bowl thing did not happen, but the news just today has this happening:

6 dead after gunman storms U.S. city council meeting

and this happening:

Woman kills 2 students in Louisiana college classroom, takes her own life

These things are so regular, they barely make more than a temporary ripple in the news.

Now remember folks, the important thing to remember that this has NOTHING TO DO with all those guns floating about so easily available. It is very important to remember that. So very very important. Yes indeedy do. It is impossible that having a gun easily onhand could have any influence at all on a the outcome of a situation where someone loses it and then lashes out. There is simply no logical relationship. In fact, what we really need is more guns, which would allow people to respond to the gunfire with more gunfire. Sure, the crazies are likely to get their shots off anyway and the gunfire in response may turn public spaces into free fire zones, killing yet more people. But at least everyone dies happy, secure that their firearm rights have been preserved as they bleed out in agony on the floor.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-02-08, 12:12

Try harder to make some sort of point. I'm just not grasping it...you're being way to sideways and coy.

On a serious note, let's not louse up my thread and turn it into another one of "those" circular, contentious discussions (where it will get locked by mid-afternoon), please. Been enough of those around here lately. Thanks.

The St. Louis guy sounds like another high-strung nutbag who felt "wronged" by The Man (the "go to city council meetings and interrupt the proceedings, grandstanding and monopolizing the time" kind of guy we all know and love). The Louisiana shooting is unusual in that it was a female shooter (and two female victims). That jumped out at me.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-02-08 at 13:51.
veryamusing

2008-02-08, 12:51

Florida's statute on attempted felony murder:

Quote:
782.051(2) Any person who perpetrates or attempts to perpetrate any felony other than a felony enumerated in s. 782.04(3) and who commits, aids, or abets an intentional act that is not an essential element of the felony and that could, but does not, cause the death of another commits a felony of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, which is an offense ranked in level 8 of the Criminal Punishment Code. Victim injury points shall be scored under this subsection.
Also according to Florida statutes:

Quote:
784.011 Assault.--

(1) An "assault" is an intentional, unlawful threat by word or act to do violence to the person of another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, and doing some act which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent.

(2) Whoever commits an assault shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

784.021 Aggravated assault.--

(1) An "aggravated assault" is an assault:

(a) With a deadly weapon without intent to kill; or

(b) With an intent to commit a felony.

(2) Whoever commits an aggravated assault shall be guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
Surely they could charge him, but getting a conviction to stick would probably be a bit tougher.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-02-08, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
The Ohio guy sounds like another high-strung nutbag who felt "wronged" by The Man (the "go to city council meetings and interrupt the proceedings, grandstanding and monopolizing the time" kind of guy we all know and love).
Not Ohio - St. Louis, basically. Kirkwood MO is within the greater STL area, basically about 10 miles away from where I live and about 15 miles west southwest of the Arch. It's a STL suburb.

real hackers don't use sigs
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-02-08, 13:48

I'm sorry. Yeah, St. Louis. I got my locations mixed up. Fixing it now...
Chinney
Veteran Member

2008-02-15, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Try harder to make some sort of point. I'm just not grasping it...you're being way to sideways and coy.

[...]
I am a master of subtlety. And I am very subtly not making any further comments after yesterday's news. See other thread.