User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Breaking: Whitney Houston dies at 48 in L.A.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Breaking: Whitney Houston dies at 48 in L.A.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-02-11, 20:43

No details/cause, but on all the wires. Dang...

I knew she had troubles a while back, but I was under the impression she'd cleaned up. Hope it wasn't the cause.
EmC

2012-02-11, 20:45

So sad. She looked much better the last time I saw her on television.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2012-02-11, 20:47

On one of the tabloid shows last night they showed her outside some club in Miami signing autographs, and had some blood running down her legs.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-02-11, 23:43

Quite sad really. She had an amazing voice. R.I.P.
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-02-12, 03:09

"I hope life treats you kind."
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-02-12, 07:47

R.i.p
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-02-12, 08:02

Talented woman, but I wish that she had had an easier time of it. Bad addictions / bad marriage. I always felt that she could have done a lot more with her career and that we missed out from getting that something more. R.I.P. indeed.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-02-12, 11:55

The "fame and fortune" industry really does a number on some. I think about that, and the kinds of people who are in it.

I think it's like that cave on Dagobah. You find/see only what you bring with you. If you get into it as insecure, weak, troubled, etc., it's very unlikely that years, or decades, of insane riches/access and living in a fishbowl (far worse in the Internet/cell cam era, where everything "makes news") will go well for you.

There are exceptions, but artistic, creative types being what they are - sensitive, etc. - they're on a hamster wheel of trying to outdo their past efforts, stay relevant, avoid temptations most of us will never know, etc. And the first time they fail or screw up, it's everywhere. And with the music business being how it is, it's unlikely you'll be nurtured or given time to hit your mark. It's easier to drop you because there are 18 million other desperate, fame-starved people to take your place and churn out "product". How could you not be a neurotic, insecure wreck? You're only as good/relevant as your latest hit or release, etc.

Ugh.

There probably aren't 25 sane, well-adjusted individuals in the movie or music biz. Think about it...I don't know how you could be!

It's a circus. We appreciate the talent and successes, but, as a culture, we love it when the elephant goes berserk or the tight wire walker slips and falls.

It's why I can't get into stuff like American Idol and all that. It goes far beyond the derivative, hack "talent" on display. I simply sit there going "why? Chances are you'll get a couple of albums out of it, and heaven help you if the second one doesn't surpass the first."

A couple of exceptions, of course (there always will be), but, on balance, how many normal, good lives have been uprooted and permanently loused up in the pursuit of fame.

Those interviews on Idol are telling...they're not artists, serious about honing/sharing their craft. They're wanting to be "famous".

Be careful what you wish for...you might just get it. And I don't think anyone is truly prepared for all the things it requires and demands. Especially the 21st century version of it. You can't fart in an elevator or have a quiet lunch with a friend without it winding up on TMZ in HD and pristine audio.

No thanks.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-02-12, 12:25

yep I'd rather be comfortably off, than rich and/or famous any day of the week.