Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Animal (or other types of) sounds you're good at making

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Animal (or other types of) sounds you're good at making
Windswept
On Pacific time

2013-04-21, 18:02

I visit a public library that has peacocks hanging out in the parking lot on a regular basis. When I arrived today, several were making these *REALLY* loud shrieking noises. Since no people seemed to be around, I tried to mimic the shrieking sound and did a pretty good job of it. Very loudly. I think the call I mimicked was one made by the females.

When I was a kid, age 9-10, I used to mimic the sound - a high shrilling call - made by the ground squirrels in the vacant land across the road. I was good at it, and as I looked out across the vacant land, I would see several ground squirrels come out of their burrows and stand upright on their hind legs to answer my call. They would stand tall, and then take a few little shuffling steps to change directions, looking for the squirrel (me!) who made the original call.

The area was dry, and there was no wild grass to obscure one's view across the ground, so it was easy to see the little squirrels standing and looking for me. Grass, as in the pic below, would have made it hard to see anything.

Just wondering if any of you are good at making animal sounds, or any other types of sounds (of machines or other noise-making things).

I can do a pig grunting pretty well, a chicken clucking, a dog barking and a cat meowing. A silly thread, I know, but what the heck.

Thanks for any replies.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-04-21, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I visit a public library that has peacocks hanging out in the parking lot on a regular basis. When I arrived today, several were making these *REALLY* loud shrieking noises. Since no people seemed to be around, I tried to mimic the shrieking sound and did a pretty good job of it. Very loudly.
Video or it didn't / doesn't happen.

Animal impressions... actually I can do a pretty mean cow impression. I don't mean "mooo", I mean I can literally fake the glutteral cow noise with the shrill "finish". I could say monkies too but lots of people can do good monkey impressions so it doesn't count.

Also I do an excellent Dino and Scooby Doo impressions although I haven't used them in many years.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2013-04-21, 21:45

I can get most birds to answer back when I mimic them. I'm sure they think my accent is *horrible*.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2013-04-21, 23:22

I can do a cricket rubbing my thumb and index finger together, this I learned from Muhammed Ali.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-04-22, 08:15

My wife says I sound like an animal, and smell like one - no particular reference to any other species, though I am quite proficient...
Chinney
Veteran Member

2013-04-22, 10:41

I make what is called in our family "monkey noises" for our kids. I have done it ever since they were born, for their general amusement. My wife always wondered where that came from, but then saw my mother doing it for me one day, and came to the conclusion that it was a 'family thing'. It might not just be my family though because I mentioned it to a friend of mine and he said, "like this?" and promptly did "monkey noises" of his own, and said that he always did it for his kids too. His were actually better than mine, I had to admit.

I also do a deranged bunny rabbit impression for my kids, but that is more of a physical thing rather than just noises. My oldest daughter, who is now away at first year at university, sometimes asks for it over Skype, and even asked me once to do it for her dorm mates. They laughed, but probably because they thought that I was deranged. I don't care though - I will do anything to make my daughter smile.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.

Last edited by Chinney : 2013-04-22 at 11:27.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-04-22, 11:11

Donald Duck. It shocks people when they hear it -- they don't expect the sound...

I cannot consciously mimic accents of any variety, but spontaneous outbursts of pristine utterances have been known. asked to repeat... no go...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-04-22, 12:55

I can do some accents convincingly (i.e. I can continue using the accent in conversation as long as I want and people who don't know me would be convinced I'm from that area). Most notably, various kinds of southern accents and some UK accents. My Indian accent is outstanding; drives my wife nuts when I use it because she deals with a number of vendor call centers at work, and she has trouble understanding Indian accents sometimes. It's always fun to use that one. Apparently I have an ear for Indian accents.

Need to practice the UK ones though as occasionally I get accused of not knowing whether I'm from the UK or Australia. There are certain words / sounds that always trip me up and I morph in one sentence from UK to Oz.

Last but not least I can do a decent "German person speaking English" accent (considering I never practice it), although I think after a few sentences it might become apparent I'm not German. That and I don't look like this.

And don't try to convince me Germans don't look like that. I know it's true! It must be. I saw it on TV once.

Last edited by Moogs : 2013-04-22 at 13:10.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-04-22, 13:17

I used to be able to mimic my old boss almost perfectly, to the point where I could exchange pleasantries with colleagues on the phone and they wouldn't know the difference until I said something completely ridiculous.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-04-22, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I used to be able to mimic my old boss almost perfectly, to the point where I could exchange pleasantries with colleagues on the phone and they wouldn't know the difference until I said something completely ridiculous.
That would be an excellent skill to have in certain situations. Especially if you got canned unjustly or were routinely berated or something crazy like that, and wanted some legally harmless revenge. As long as you don't say "I'm ______", you're in the clear. Just have to call people who know the voice well.

"Yes, god damnit, I'm serious... 6 dozen boston creme doughnuts and a singing clown-a-gram. We got half of the Portland office in the conference room and a couple of their kids came along too. The CFO's kid is a real brat.... Don't ask me; they just showed up.... Just expense it... and HURRY!"

Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-04-22, 13:57

Except he was an all around nice guy.

I don't have any specific talent, I sometimes just spontaneously mimic people, but can't sustain it. His voice was rather different. Rather distinctive, like mine, I'm told, and I think I could pull it off because it was just an older, raspier, version of my own. We're not related, just accidental I guess. A few times clients called and immediately started into something a mile a minute, when I couldn't interrupt them right away, I'd have to answer real fast, "You need the boss." "Oh, I'm sorry, you sound just like him..."

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-04-22, 17:02

Quote:
Except he was an all around nice guy.
Well in that case you just order one dozen and have it delivered to his office where he would be most willing to share.
addabox
Veteran Member

2013-04-22, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Donald Duck. It shocks people when they hear it -- they don't expect the sound...

I cannot consciously mimic accents of any variety, but spontaneous outbursts of pristine utterances have been known. asked to repeat... no go...
I can do Donald Duck being murdered. I got the squirt air through at the back of my jaw down, but I've never been able to shape it into words. So I just go with Donald shrieking noises.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
addabox
Veteran Member

2013-04-22, 17:31

Speaking of accents, did the UK and former colonies just decide that every thespian had to go to some kind of American accent boot camp and get it down perfectly before they could move on? Seems like every other actor in every other TV series, who you were pretty sure grew up in Kentucky or Ohio or California, proves to be British or Australian or a Kiwi.

I know we've all had the experience of seeing some cast member on a talk show and being floored when they start talking like Peter O'Toole or Crocodile Dundee or something.

Time was, the British "American accent" was this sort of hilarious hybrid of Texas, California and god knows what. Now they have it down so flawlessly it's unnerving.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2013-04-22, 20:54

"Woof Woof Woof! That's my other dog imitation." /Oddball
Windswept
On Pacific time

2013-04-22, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Video or it didn't / doesn't happen.
Peacocks make an ear-shattering shriek. I've only tried it a few times so far, and am not quite ready for prime time just yet.

Quote:
Animal impressions... actually I can do a pretty mean cow impression. I don't mean "mooo", I mean I can literally fake the glutteral cow noise with the shrill "finish".
I'm sure I must have heard the cow sound you're talking about, but I can't conjure it up in my mind. Would be fun to hear you make it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
I can get most birds to answer back when I mimic them. I'm sure they think my accent is *horrible*.
Do you mean you do bird sounds by means of whistling, or some other way? Which bird(s) can you mimic the best, would you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
I make what is called in our family "monkey noises" for our kids. I have done it ever since they were born, for their general amusement.

I also do a deranged bunny rabbit impression for my kids, but that is more of a physical thing rather than just noises.
Would love to see you do both of these. I can't quite picture how you might interpret the deranged rabbit though, I must confess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
I've heard a few people do Donald, but I wouldn't have a clue how to do it myself. It seems like a really difficult sound to mimic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
I can do some accents convincingly (i.e. I can continue using the accent in conversation as long as I want and people who don't know me would be convinced I'm from that area). Most notably, various kinds of southern accents and some UK accents. My Indian accent is outstanding...

Need to practice the UK ones though as occasionally I get accused of not knowing whether I'm from the UK or Australia. There are certain words / sounds that always trip me up and I morph in one sentence from UK to Oz.

Last but not least I can do a decent "German person speaking English" accent (considering I never practice it), although I think after a few sentences it might become apparent I'm not German.
I'm gonna have to try doing an Indian accent one of these days, because it always kills me when I hear someone mimicking one. I'd love to learn UK and Aussie accents, just because it would be really fun to do them well.

When I spoke a little German to a German guy I met in Amsterdam, he said I spoke German with a Bavarian accent. I don't think it was a compliment though.

Quote:
This really would be great for pulling pranks on your co-workers. My own voice is apparently really easy to recognize. I could never pull off a crime if I used my own voice, because anyone would be able to tell who the perp was in a micro-second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
I can do Donald Duck being murdered. I got the squirt air through at the back of my jaw down, but I've never been able to shape it into words. So I just go with Donald shrieking noises.
I wonder if they could ever use a sound like that in a commercial? Maybe one with the Aflac duck being assaulted. Or maybe with the Aflac duck coming to the rescue of Donald, who was being assaulted.

I'm pretty good at mimicking a dust mite, as seen under a microscope.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-04-23, 08:27

Quote:
Peacocks make an ear-shattering shriek. I've only tried it a few times so far, and am not quite ready for prime time just yet.
We don't mind; go right ahead and video record yourself the next time anyway. I am 100% confident that everyone here will enjoy it. How accurate it is will not matter in the slightest.

Quote:
I'm sure I must have heard the cow sound you're talking about, but I can't conjure it up in my mind.
Same drawn-out noise cows make on a farm. I think the noise I'm talking about is when the cows are agitated or distressed. Think western movie stampede. Sometimes they just do the low-pitched thing (when grazing), and sometimes they tack on the higher-pitched part at the end.

Quote:
I'm gonna have to try doing an Indian accent one of these days, because it always kills me when I hear someone mimicking one. I'd love to learn UK and Aussie accents, just because it would be really fun to do them well.
Yep they're pretty fun.

mattf

2013-04-23, 13:24

Quote:
It depends on the location (for UK accents, at least). After all, we probably have more accents in our small isles than you have in the whole of the USA. And some of them are godawful

I'm originally from the North West, and there were two predominant accents in my hometown. A very strong "scouse" type accent, and a heavy Lancashire one (it doesn't matter how intelligent you may be, with a Lancashire accent you sound completely the opposite - and to exacerbate that, my local town had the curious habit of adding "me" at the end of any sentence talking about yourself: I like pies, me.)

Interestingly, scouse accents have definitely intensified over the last few decades - probably because it's a relatively new accent (having grown out of a Welsh and Irish influence on Liverpool). Check out two fairly typical scousers from the 1960's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfaX0-t5Zxs

vs John Power from Cast last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1y1m1umN5c (30 seconds in)

Then I moved to the West coast of Scotland, where there was a mix of Glaswegian (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65GEIszPtU0 for a few examples of typical weegie accents), and highland accents. Next was Edinburgh, on the East coast, and although it's only ~40 miles from Glasgow, the accents are very different. Even within the city, accents differ enormously. Irvine Welsh (author of Trainspotting) is from Leith (and he's lost some of his accent in this clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B4uUe-aIwc). Compare that to Ewan McGregor's "Morningside" accent in Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. A "Morningside" accent is meant to be a bit of a joke, but it's one born in truth to be honest. And that vast change in accent within just a couple of miles is fairly typical of many British cities. Oh, and for more of an idea of Leith-speak, try reading Trainspotting.

I've lived in dozens of different areas in the UK as an adult, and the accent I hated the most is from the southern part of Northumberland, which is pretty close to a Geordie accent (for a rough idea listen to Kevin Whately in episodes of Auf Weidersehen, Pet - try to tune out Jimmy Nail though...). I'm probably going to get negative rep for this - I seem to remember at least one ex-Newcastle man on these forums!

My favourite UK accent has to be from the Western Isles. My wife's got a beautiful light Borders accent, but I do wish she'd grown up on the Hebrides
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2013-04-23, 20:21

Pygmy Marmoset.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2013-04-23, 21:02

Thanks for all the examples of accents, mattf. The Scottish ones were the toughest to understand. Whenever I'm watching a British drama on tv, I do pretty well understanding what they're saying unless there's lots of background noise. If there's noise interference, I easily miss figuring out at least half of what's being said. Guess I'll have to remember to turn on the English captions for some of those programs.

When I was in London, and frequently finding the need to ask for directions on getting somewhere, I had trouble finding people who could speak any sort of English that I could understand. I remember asking two guys who were tall and Anglo-looking, and I thought, well at least 'now' I'll be able to understand what's being said; but then, I couldn't make out a single word they said. Even when they repeated their directions, I still was baffled, but too embarrassed to ask again; so I just said thanks very much and went on my very lost way.

I've never heard anyone add 'me' at the end that I can recall. It's kind of strange, but when two doctors were being interviewed this week at one of the Boston hospitals about caring for bombing patients, they both started *every* sentence with the word "So." It was very odd. I've never heard anyone do that either, and that it was two doctors at the same hospital is even more strange. A completely localized speech habit, I guess, kind of like the "me" example.

Have you ever read an explanation about the variance in accents in Britain between two cities just a few miles apart? Different languages around the globe developed over the millennia, but usually those differences were based on geographic barriers, such as mountain chains, seas, or deserts that prevented easy travel. But those cities that are just a few miles apart... well, it's pretty amazing, don't you think, to have such different accents?
mattf

2013-04-24, 04:27

I'm sure I have read something about the reasons for variaions in local accents, but can't recall exactly where. It may have been in Bill Bryson's The Mother Tongue (http://www.amazon.com/The-Mother-Ton.../dp/0380715430 ) or possibly Mark Forsyth's The Etymologican (http://www.amazon.com/The-Mother-Ton.../dp/0380715430 ). Even if it wasn't, both of those books are excellent reads if you're interested in language. And for UK Kindle owners, keep an eye out for The Etymologican being reduced to 20p or even free, as it is from time to time. There's a lovely section in there on tautological British names, like River Esk, and even Pendle Hill and Bredon Hill, which etymologically both mean Hill-Hill-Hill (Pen and Bre were Celtic words for hill, hul and don were Old English words for hill - and Penhul over the years became Pendle).

All of which is probably a pointer to why we have such variations in local accents. Britain has had so many invasions, immigration patterns, and internal boundaries, over such a long time and that's almost certainly shaped regional variations.

And yes, I find accents and dialects fascinating and see many positive and negative aspects of people holding on to them. And getting back (slightly) on-topic, I unintentionally change my own accent depending on who I'm talking to. I struggle to sound out a genuine sounding Scouse accent if I make a conscious effort, but get me talking to my mother for half an hour, and the genuine thing creeps in. I find it intriguing that a sub-conscious wish to connect to somebody changes how we sound!
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-04-24, 12:52

Interesting. I actually understand the Scottish accent better than a lot of the English accents, and forget Wales. But honestly, since having lived in the UK, I can no longer distinguish the Irish accent from the American one upon first exposure to a speaker. They are simply too similar....
addabox
Veteran Member

2013-04-24, 13:46

I often hear people in specific professions being interviewed on the radio doing that "so" thing at the beginning of sentences.

I suspect it's less of a regionalism than an artifact of being called on to tell what you know in an interview format, especially after a question that might strike you as off the mark or requiring some work to contextualize.

In that case "so" means "OK, let me give you some background, or set this up in a way your listeners will understand, or rattle off some facts that will clarify what we're talking about."

"Is this disease going to turn into an epidemic and render the earth uninhabitable?"

(Pause) "So when the CDC makes a determination regarding status of an illness it uses various criteria...."

¡Damned!

2013-04-24, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
Speaking of accents, did the UK and former colonies just decide that every thespian had to go to some kind of American accent boot camp and get it down perfectly before they could move on? Seems like every other actor in every other TV series, who you were pretty sure grew up in Kentucky or Ohio or California, proves to be British or Australian or a Kiwi.

I know we've all had the experience of seeing some cast member on a talk show and being floored when they start talking like Peter O'Toole or Crocodile Dundee or something.

Time was, the British "American accent" was this sort of hilarious hybrid of Texas, California and god knows what. Now they have it down so flawlessly it's unnerving.
Holy crap this. I remember being mentally startled some years ago when Hugh Laurie took the stage at some awards show (for House, I'm sure) and started speaking.

Now it's become almost commonplace. Witness Jaime Bamber in BSG or Idris Elba in The Wire. Hell, even Christian Bale does an admirable job (though his accent does seep through every now and then).

Recently, on the other side of that coin, watch Hemlock Grove and constantly do wtf?s at Famke's British (I think?) accent, or even Amanda Tapping's accent in Sanctuary (as much as I love her in SG-1). Maybe it's because I'm 'Merican and can overlook anyone who can realistically belt out a "Yeehaw" – but most anyone trying to do British is a weird sound to me. Even Jolie doing Lara Croft I cringed at. But boobs, so whatever.

I can't really do any animal sounds. Maybe a cow if I was still smoking a pack like in the old days. What I can do is mimic a quite a lot of musical artists. I sing in the shower almost always, and Anna is constantly telling me that I should go on the road as a karaoke-pro. [spoiler]: I never in my life have done karaoke, or will ever for that matter.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2013-04-24 at 15:43.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-05-21, 13:21

While attempting to sing in the car for the first time in years I determined my voice has not improved and I cannot reliably immitate any male rock-star worth immitating with the exception of Axel Rose. Therefore, not worth doing.

If you enjoy singing along with your favorite bands, don't ever do this: turn the volume down while you're singing because you think you're "real close" to sounding the same. Trust me: you do not sound the same.