Paul
Veteran Member

2005-03-13, 10:48

IMDB
CBS
fansite
Google
Quote:
Rob Morrow stars as FBI agent Don Eppes, who recruits his mathematical genius brother, Charlie (David Krumholtz), to help the Bureau solve a wide range of challenging crimes in Los Angeles. From two very different perspectives, the brothers take on the most confounding criminal cases, aided by Don's partner, Terry Lake (Sabrina Lloyd), and new FBI recruit David Sinclair (Alimi Ballard). Although their father, Alan (Judd Hirsch), is pleased to see his sons working together, he fears their competitive nature will lead to trouble. Charlie's colleague, physicist Dr. Larry Fleinhardt (Peter MacNicol), urges Charlie to focus more on his university studies than on FBI business. Inspired by actual events, NUMB3RS depicts how the confluence of police work and mathematics provides unexpected revelations and answers to the most perplexing criminal questions.
pilot... (bt)

This is a really cool show, but the time: Friday 10pm EST, kinda sucks.

Anyone here been watching it? A few of the scenes seem forced and formulaic, but overall there is a good mix (with some filler) between police work, action, the plot, and math.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-03-13, 10:55

I tried to download an episode from BT, but it never finished. I've heard good things about it but I don't want to be watching tv at 10pm on Friday night.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-03-13, 10:56

I saw commercials, and thought it was an interesting concept. I'll download it and check it out.

If it isn't good, I will never trust Paul's Approval™ again.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-03-13, 12:34

The pilot was based on a real cop in Vancouver who invented a method of geographic profiling for serial crimes which did link the 'zones' of crime with where the criminal likely lived.

An interesting show so far... almost A Beautiful Mind in its abstractions of the mathematical moment of inspiration. And the grad student assistant to Epps is sexy.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-03-13, 15:29

I've been watching it, and it certainly is better than most shows on network TV.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-03-13, 16:56

Oh it's as contrived as Hell, and I've watched three episodes. I only watch it because I need the background noise. Most half of the mystery dramas on American television are currently Deus ex Machinas anyway... just like this one. I do, however, like MEDIUM because the girl is HOT and it's got a Quincy-like opening sequence (on a metaphysical level, not visual) and I enjoy the weirdness of the concept. Numb3rs is trite. And I watch it too.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-03-13, 17:44

I can't deal with the idiocy of the [xxx] genius based characters. The only show I have seen pull it off (because the actor is terrific -- I should note that the show only pulls it off every once in a while) is Law & Order Criminal Intent. All others are just depending on the ignorance of the viewing population.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-03-14, 00:17

Bring back Columbo!!!!!!!!
ast3r3x

2005-03-14, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
Bring back Columbo!!!!!!!!
Rockford is on tv, that is the best anyways.

...plus I have some columbo DVD's for that fix
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-03-14, 09:28

Monk destroys any competition along these lines.

At least, the first two seaons did. this season as sucked so far.
ast3r3x

2005-03-14, 09:58

Just watched s1e1 and it wasn't bad. I'll download e2 and check it out.

Gives me something to watch while my smallville seasons download
sildani

Send a message via AIM to sildani  
2005-03-14, 11:31

I watch it, and I really like it. As a fan of math and science, and my wife being a fan of suspense and crime drama, this show is one of the things we can both appreciate together. The time slot is awful, I am usually out, but I TiVO it.

Check out the bluehair page for some witty, ad-free commentary on life as we know it.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2005-03-14, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Monk destroys any competition along these lines.

At least, the first two seaons did. this season as sucked so far.
No ast3etc. is right. Rockford.
ast3r3x

2005-03-14, 15:09

Watching the second episode now.

I love bittorrent...not as fast as tivo, but the same effect.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-03-15, 09:47

You guys should check out Pi (as in 3.14). Same type of concept (math/numbers genius) but done waaaayyyyyyy better.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-03-15, 10:32

Pi isn't about the numbers or math for that matter. It is an exploration of what happens to a person who starts losing his mind from a brain tumor or some such other mental anomaly.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-03-15, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
Pi isn't about the numbers or math for that matter. It is an exploration of what happens to a person who starts losing his mind from a brain tumor or some such other mental anomaly.
Actually it is a play on "the bible code" as well as what happens to a 6 year old who looked into the sun for too long. I wouldn't just blow it off as you did.
ast3r3x

2005-03-15, 11:42

I'm just about to watch the third episode, but I am hoping this isn't going to be a reoccurring patterns...

Problem >> Brother Can't Figure Equation >> Problem Worsens >> Brother Figures Equation >> Problem/Get Guy
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-03-15, 12:02

The show is alright - it's still network TV, though - kinda formulaic (is that a pun?) and predictable at times.
Sabrina Lloyd sure is HOT, though....
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-03-15, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
I'm just about to watch the third episode, but I am hoping this isn't going to be a reoccurring patterns...

Problem >> Brother Can't Figure Equation >> Problem Worsens >> Brother Figures Equation >> Problem/Get Guy
You mean like House on Fox? Person has weird symptom >> doc misdiagnoses >> new symptom >> new misdiagnosis >> repeat until 9:48PM when doc makes correct diagnosis and saves the patient.

Or like CSI? Find dead body >> initially accuse someone due to evidence >> figure out it wasn't them >> accuse someone else >> wasn't them either but clues are mounting >> 9:45PM figure out real criminal, arrest, and piece together for us dunderheads in the audience.

Or Star Trek: TNG? 10 minutes left in the show, spew some technobabble and solve problem/save world.

I think that network TV has about 5 plot skeletons and now they just fill in the blanks; protagonist, antogonist, source of angst, provide resolution, happy ending.

What more could you want?
ast3r3x

2005-03-15, 14:07

I don't watch much TV...besides the daily show, arrested development, and smallville. Whatever is on the history channel of course.

Smallville is horribly scripted, and somehow Clark's secret is always kept by some sort of amnesia, a coma, or the bad guy being considered to be crazy. I have to admit I still love it though, hot girls and the superman story is a equation for success

Last edited by ast3r3x : 2005-03-15 at 14:48.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-03-15, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
I don't watch much TV...besides the daily show, arrested development, and smallville. Whatever is on the history channel of course.

Smallville is horribly scripted, and somehow Clark's secret is always kept by some sort of amnesia, a comma, or the bad guy being considered to be crazy. I have to admit I still love it though, hot girls and the superman story is a equation for success
Darn, I would've remembered who Superman was, if it wasn't for that blasted punctuation mark! Damn commas
ast3r3x

2005-03-15, 14:49

Comma - Any of several butterflies of the genus Polygonia, having wings with brownish coloring and irregularly notched edges.

How do you know I didn't mean that?!