User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

British iTMS News Article(s)... iTMS the first step to digital homes?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
British iTMS News Article(s)... iTMS the first step to digital homes?
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-06-19, 21:34

iTMS-the beginning of the digitally serviced home?

The future (other then the article itself ), according to the article, looks like this:

Quote:
As the evolutionary process continues apace, experts believe that a host of long-promised technologies will become a workaday reality, which is music to the ears of Apple founder Steve Jobs who last week launched its London iTunes store. While you amuse yourself with a plethora of instantly available films, music and games, your fridge will suddenly become capable of re-ordering essentials when stocks get low, your microwave will research the perfect cooking time for that frozen pizza and the washing machine will send status reports back to its manufacturer, downloading upgrades and calling out the repairman when necessary.
Sounds pretty do-able actually--the biggest problem would be to get manufacturers to welcome the idea...

"'Smart' Homes" are popping up everywhere, people with universal remotes controlling the lights and shades as well as the electronics... But internet services being pumped throughout the home is still a novel idea. Probably the two best examples of this is TiVo/On-Demand Programing and X-Box Live.

Apple has not expressed ANY interest in EITHER of these areas, but Airport Express is a good start. Should Apple look into other areas to complement the iTMS or should they wait until the audio internet download market matures a little? Should it be up to the cable companies and consumer electronics manufacturers to shape this market?

I personally believe that Apple could make major advances in a lot of these markets. But I also feel that Apple is too small to really give a good effort in more then one area at a time. Right now it is audio and the iTMS. I think Mr. Jobs has his plate full and will not be able to expand into other areas until the iTMS settles down and long-term trends can be extrapolated.

But I hope I'm wrong.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-20, 00:50

I think we'll see a lot more Apple "appliances" as the world moves in that direction.

How cool would an Apple fridge, or Apple washing machine be?

But I can really see Apple making a lot of strides in the "digital home" area. It'll be cool to see what they have up their sleeve.

Come waste your time with me
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-06-23, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
I think we'll see a lot more Apple "appliances" as the world moves in that direction.

How cool would an Apple fridge, or Apple washing machine be?

But I can really see Apple making a lot of strides in the "digital home" area. It'll be cool to see what they have up their sleeve.
Apple Washing Machine - Can only wash 5% of the clothes on the market (limiting style and choice to a myriad of multi-colored turtle necks and jeans, but they will last for years and constantly look as clean as new.

I would buy ever Apple appliance, but Apple wants to be like Sony, not GE
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-23, 11:51

Oh geez...I saw that kind of a reply coming when I was typing that. Haha. I guess it could only be expected.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-06-23, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Oh geez...I saw that kind of a reply coming when I was typing that. Haha. I guess it could only be expected.
I figured I'd get it out of the way
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-23, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
I figured I'd get it out of the way
The first thing I thought of when I wrote that was the Apple car and Apple toaster jokes, yet I did it anyway...seemed like a good idea at the time. Yeah, y'all know what jokes I'm talking about. If you don't, please die.

Come waste your time with me