User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

12" i/power book and Core Image

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
12" i/power book and Core Image
jbloodwo

2005-04-16, 18:25

I don’t know if this is where I need to post this or not.
<rant>
Ok I am ready to take the plunge and switch to Mac. I have been using Linux off and on for about 8 years and pretty much fulltime for the last year and am wanting to get a Mac so a can do get rid of the one and last thing that I use windows for and that is ITMS and feeding my ipod. Also I am planning on going completely Notebook when I make this switch. I am tired of all the space and rats nest of wires coming from my PC’s.
</rant>
Now the real question… I am down to one of the 12” books either I or Power. I understand that currently the radion9200 in the iBook will not support Core Image. If Apple were not to announce a speed bump to the iBook within the next 3/4 weeks is Core Image enough of a killer feature to justify dropping the extra cash to get the powerbook over the ibook. Now I don’t see that I will be doing any video editing or anything like that and I am not a big gamer so the extra raw horsepower is not part of my decision matrix. Although I like the fact that you can change the hdd in the powerbook I do not know if that is enough incentive to make me go with a power book. SO I guess what I am really asking is.
Now that Tiger is shipping on 29 April are there any beta testers ( real or otherwise) that could comment on if Core Image is all that Marketing wants to say.
And if it is what happens on systems that lack a supported GPU?
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2005-04-16, 19:19

Maybe I just havn't noticed it, but I haven't seen CoreImage at all. Not even in iPhoto, an obvious place for it to be. It's my understanding that CoreImage has to be built into a program before it can be used, and as of the time Tiger is released, very few (if any) programs will support it.

Apple has said, though, that they'd like Adobe to implement CoreImage in Photoshop. I doubt they will, but that'd be great, but would require Tiger.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention was that if the graphics card doesn't support CoreImage, it will still work. If no compatible GPU is found, Tiger will send the work to the CPU. It will be slower, but you won't be SOL.

Last edited by screensaver400 : 2005-04-16 at 19:34.
jbloodwo

2005-05-01, 22:22

Well I am now the proud owner of a 12" PowerBook. Computer is yet to be named but this thig is as nice as i was wanting it to be.