Macs With Apple Silicon
Page 9 of 9 First Previous 5 6 7 8 [9]  Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-05-23, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I suspect that in 3-5 years we will begin seeing $700 MB Airs, $500 Mac Minis, and $1000 iMacs—all running Apple Silicon.
Don’t count on it. Apple wants to appear as a premium brand and I doubt they have any intention of changing that. Refurbished models, sure, new, doubt it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-23, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Don’t count on it. Apple wants to appear as a premium brand and I doubt they have any intention of changing that. Refurbished models, sure, new, doubt it.
They do have $400 iPhones SE and the $329 iPad, so… maybe? But if so, it’s not clear to me what kept them from doing it in the Intel era.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-05-23, 13:19

I could see Apple keeping previous generation machines around as budget offering, like the used to do with the iPhone, but that seems unlikely given the current globe production shortages. If they did, after a M2 Mac Mini comes out the M1 Mac Mini sticks around at $599 or something like that. Still seems very unlikely.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-23, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I could see Apple keeping previous generation machines around as budget offering, like the used to do with the iPhone, but that seems unlikely given the current globe production shortages. If they did, after a M2 Mac Mini comes out the M1 Mac Mini sticks around at $599 or something like that. Still seems very unlikely.
Yeah, leaving aside the shortage, I do think

1) M1 MacBook Air starts at $849
2) M2 MacBook Air starts at $1099 for a while

is plausible.

I don't think they'll introduce new models at significantly lower price points, no. We might like that, but with the revenue growths they've seen with the Mac, what's their incentive? Financially, the Mac is doing better than ever!