User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")
Page 19 of 19 First Previous 15 16 17 18 [19]  Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-05-21, 15:02

I watched through all of season 2 of Love, Death & Robots one evening this week. It passed a lot quicker than I anticipated.

The second season didn't feel as interesting or impactful as the first to me. Admittedly, there's only so much you can fit in 5-10 minutes, which is the total runtime of most of them, but still most of them felt shallow or predictable. The two stand-outs for me were the first episode about the roomba for its humor and the last episode about the giant for its narrator and overall weirdness. When I was watching the first season, I definitely had this urge to tell my friends and coworkers to go check it out. Couldn't care less with this season, and I probably wouldn't have said anything anywhere if not for this thread reminding me.

Otherwise, the animation is certainly top notch, and I kind of see this second season as more of a tech demo reel for the artists than anything else.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kieran
Tweeting @kierankelly

2021-05-21, 21:47

We've been watching Mare of Easttown lately and I've been super into it.

It's based on the county in which I grew up, so I was pretty interested in it for that aspect of it at first, and it think it's hilarious when they name places and I have literally been there multiple times.

It's actually turned into a super interesting show and watching it for just more than the location history.
pscates2.0
Mr. Katan

2021-05-31, 20:38

I've heard about/seen promos for Yellowstone for a couple of years now. They're running a marathon of it on Paramount (formerly Spike, I believe?) and I've been watching for a few hours on this holiday afternoon/evening, giving it an honest shot. Just looking for something new, different to watch.

Holy smokes, what a shitty show.

They're trying so hard to do that whole grim, hard-bitten men's men (a la Sons of Anarchy, which was the stupidest show I believe I've ever seen in my entire 52 years on the planet), and it's even more ridiculous dressed up in ranch wear. What a bunch of morose, stare-at-the-ground-and-say-grim-stuff cardboard cut-outs.

I've watched five episodes now and they're getting worse. I think Kevin Costner is asleep during filming and they CGI in open eyes in post. And all these young punks all over the place. Do any of these people actually work?

They managed to take all the worst aspects of CSI: Miami, Sons of Anarchy and nighttime-soap-of-your-choice (Dynasty, Melrose Place, etc.), roll it all together and "hey, it's a show about assholes in cowboy hats...enjoy!"

Uh, no.

I did see Wilford Brimley skulking about (being all Wilford Brimley about everything), so that was kinda cool. That and the scenery/cinematography (teleography?) are the only things this ridiculous, overwrought hunk of shit seems to have going for it. Nobody to root for, nobody is likable, everyone creates their own misery/drama by doing stupid, pointless things. I can't hang with shows like that. There has to be somebody in the mix that I don't want to see blown up or run over by a tank.

And I typically dig Kevin Costner in laconic, sourpuss-in-a-cowboy-hat mode (Open Range is one of my favorite movies ever), but this shit is absolutely unwatchable.