COVID-19 Outbreak

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
COVID-19 Outbreak
Page 21 of 21 First Previous 17 18 19 20 [21]  Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-06-05, 16:57

And the plot gets thicker. The University of Barcelona found COVID in frozen sewer samples (from Barcelona) from March 2019. The study is currently awaiting peer review for verification of the data. This follows what we learned months ago about noticed case in Italy as early as September 2019 (found in frozen samples from caner patients).

https://www.ub.edu/web/ub/en/menu_ei...20/06/042.html
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-06-05, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Redstate is what's called a hyperpartisan website. No surprises there. It's in the very name.

But I did post the Twitter thread that this news was emerging from.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-06-06, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
And the plot gets thicker. The University of Barcelona found COVID in frozen sewer samples (from Barcelona) from March 2019. The study is currently awaiting peer review for verification of the data. This follows what we learned months ago about noticed case in Italy as early as September 2019 (found in frozen samples from caner patients).

Meh.

I think there's clear evidence that the virus was moving back and forth between humans and its zoonotic source for years before the outbreak. This is the way things normally happen as viruses adapt to a new species. I am pretty sure I had covid in late 2019 (extremely high fever and an endless sore throat); and I am almost certain that most of my lab did well before the March 2020 lockdown. First cases rarely are, and this virus or its very close cousins have likely been in the wild for years... which if you take this as it is suggests that a singular lab outbreak is stupidly unlikely.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-06-06, 14:27

They still think it points a China as a point or origin, since Spain has a large number of temporary foreign workers (mostly from China) that go back a forth with farming seasons. I don’t think anyone believes COVID magically appeared from a lab in the fall of 2019 (other than some fake news sites). I don’t doubt that it had already been around the globe by the fall of 2019, or much earlier. Doesn’t mean I don’t think China hid knowledge about it on purpose to make things worse.

People thought SARS-1 disappeared, but did it really? I know SARS-1 &2 aren’t the same line, so not the same thing, but doesn’t mean it isn’t out doing the same thing.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-06-06, 15:01

Quote:

IIRC the Barcelona study was debunked due to a bad test method but I can't find a source atm.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-06-06, 15:32

Yes, looking into it more it appears that the peer reviews have happened, and it's been discredited. It was positive due to similar genomes to COVID-19, but isn't a 100% match. Some suggest this could be due to parts of the virus degrading faster than others. Maybe Bobsky has insight into that sort of thing?
Dr. Bobsky

2021-06-06, 15:45

Quote:
Yes, looking into it more it appears that the peer reviews have happened, and it's been discredited. It was positive due to similar genomes to COVID-19, but isn't a 100% match. Some suggest this could be due to parts of the virus degrading faster than others. Maybe Bobsky has insight into that sort of thing?
Best to doubt bad methods than think that results from bad methods are true.

SARS-1 was contained by an extremely diligent epidemiological response. Cov2 not so much.
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2021-06-11, 00:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
It's practically impossible to NOT get a vaccination today in my neck of the woods, generally on your own schedule. It was not like that in the beginning. During the earliest days it was confusing, but now it's a breeze. How did we get here? Who gets the credit?

Trump for ordering enough vaccines. Biden for the roll out.

The following is an interesting read.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/artic...gn=amp_kickers

As far as where it came from goes, I'd love a definitive answer but I think our energies are better directed elsewhere at this point in time. Sometimes you have to choose your battles.
drewprops
Bastard

2021-06-18, 09:50

Bump. The Daily Beast is providing new details of the rumors of the defection of the Chinese official. That's a second source. There's heat.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rumors...-jingwei-swirl

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-06-18, 09:56

The daily beast? Sounds reliable…
drewprops
Bastard

2021-06-18, 11:01

Quote:
The daily beast? Sounds reliable…

I refrained from making that comment in order to let somebody else have a go!

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-06-18, 16:14

Actually SpyTalk, which is a site devoted to international affairs (and virulently anti-Trump, BTW) is also adding details about the informant.

Don't worry, in about a year it will be acknowledged, and the MSM will then be saying they were on this story all along.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-06-18, 23:38

Don't know what MSM you listen/watch, but it has been talked about somewhat here. The general feel I get from them them is, let's wait and see the facts before passing judgement. Sounds like a legitimate thing for the media to do, but I'm just a crazy centralist, so what do I know?
Dr. Bobsky

2021-06-20, 02:44

You don't defect unless you sense you are imperilled. I'm not sure exposing an origin of the pandemic is the hill anyone is truly willing to die upon: the information is not at all useful. There is also the nation to which he has defected and what they would use of any information he has: learning that the virus (which is, absolutely, found naturally) originally had an outbreak at a lab is useless.

This sounds like there was a high level defection and the virus source is a convenient cover for other state secrets he has, and Biden's administration is using a smoke screen to hide what he's actually revealing...