User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

What whiskey are you drinking right now?


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What whiskey are you drinking right now?
Page 4 of 7 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  Next Thread Tools
Ryan
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Promise Land of Trustafarians
 
2011-07-02, 16:15

I know it’s not exactly along the same lines of what’s generally drunk in this thread, but I just picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye whiskey. Wow it’s good. Just had it on the rocks, about to try a Scofflaw and later tonight I’m throwing a small get-together where I’ll be mixing up some Manhattans with it. Gonna be a good night.
  quote
tomoe
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Send a message via AIM to tomoe  
2011-07-02, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I know it’s not exactly along the same lines of what’s generally drunk in this thread, but I just picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye whiskey. Wow it’s good. Just had it on the rocks, about to try a Scofflaw and later tonight I’m throwing a small get-together where I’ll be mixing up some Manhattans with it. Gonna be a good night.
Rittenhouse is one of my favorite 'bang for the buck' ryes; Old Overholt is also good.
  quote
murbot
Mammogram Tech
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
 
2011-07-02, 18:33

Hey, good timing on the thread bump. I'm out at the park, just cooked some smokies on the grill, and the girls are all off buying ice cream at the concession so I decided to check in. I'm having a covert Alberta Premium rye and diet in a big red plastic cup with ice out of the cooler. Damn alcohol prohibited parks.
  quote
Ryan
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Promise Land of Trustafarians
 
2011-07-02, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
Rittenhouse is one of my favorite 'bang for the buck' ryes; Old Overholt is also good.
Yea, at $22 this bottle is hard to beat. *Insanely* good in a Manhattan but wow, very strong.
  quote
tomoe
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Send a message via AIM to tomoe  
2011-07-02, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Yea, at $22 this bottle is hard to beat. *Insanely* good in a Manhattan but wow, very strong.
Ha. Have you played around with making Manhattans? With small alternations here and there, you can still get what's more or less the same drink, but friendlier to your particular palate. e.g. chilled glasses (I just leave 2 old fashioned glasses in the freezer when not in use), small ice chunks (finally, that ice pick gets some use!), a combination of sweet and dry vermouth (amount of each up to you; i go ~0.5oz sweet, ~0.5oz dry, and ~1.25oz rye), and both angostura and orange bitters (sparingly).

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
  quote
Ryan
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Promise Land of Trustafarians
 
2011-07-02, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
Ha. Have you played around with making Manhattans? With small alternations here and there, you can still get what's more or less the same drink, but friendlier to your particular palate. e.g. chilled glasses (I just leave 2 old fashioned glasses in the freezer when not in use), small ice chunks (finally, that ice pick gets some use!), a combination of sweet and dry vermouth (amount of each up to you; i go ~0.5oz sweet, ~0.5oz dry, and ~1.25oz rye), and both angostura and orange bitters (sparingly).
I still can’t find orange bitters anywhere here. The ones I’m making tonight are 2oz rye, 1oz sweet vermouth, dash of Angostura. Splash of orange liqueur (I’m using Mathilde) in the glass and freeze it for ten minutes, then swirl and dump. Stir with ice and strain. Pretty tasty.
  quote
tomoe
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Send a message via AIM to tomoe  
2011-07-02, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I still can’t find orange bitters anywhere here. The ones I’m making tonight are 2oz rye, 1oz sweet vermouth, dash of Angostura. Splash of orange liqueur (I’m using Mathilde) in the glass and freeze it for ten minutes, then swirl and dump. Stir with ice and strain. Pretty tasty.
You're in Texas, right? Maybe try a Twin Liquors for orange bitters. Worst comes to worst, I think you can order orange bitters via the interweb. Or if you want to be a DIY baller, you can make your own. Here is Gary Regan's recipe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary regan

REGAN’S ORANGE BITTERS RECIPE NO. 5

Allow four weeks to prepare this bitters recipe.

8oz Dried Orange Peel, Chopped Very Fine
1 Teaspoon Cardamom Seeds (taken out of their pods)
1/2 Teaspoon Caraway Seeds
1 Teaspoon Coriander Seeds
1 Teaspoon Quassia Chips
1/2 Teaspoon Powdered Cinchona Bark
1/4 Teaspoon Gentian
2 Cups Grain Alcohol
4 1/2 Cups Water, Divided Into 1/2 Cup, 3 1/2 Cups, and 1/2 Cup
1 Cup Granulated Sugar

Place the peel, cardamom seeds, caraway seeds, coriander seeds, quassia, cinchona bark, gentian, grain alcohol, and 1/2 cup water into a half-gallon mason jar and push the ingredients down so that they are covered by the alcohol and water. Seal the jar.

We dehydrated our own orange peels, it took about 30 oranges, but the freshness is outstanding.

Shake the jar vigorously once a day for fourteen days.

Strain the alcohol from the dry ingredients through a cheesecloth. Gather the ends of the cheesecloth to form a pouch and squeeze tightly to extract as much alcohol as possible. Place the dry ingredients in a strong bowl or mortar; reserve the alcohol in a clean mason jar and seal tightly.

Muddle the dry ingredients with a pestle or strong spoon until the seeds are broken.

Place the dry ingredients in a nonreactive saucepan and cover with 3 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over a medium-high heat, cover, turn the heat down, and simmer for 10 minutes. Allow to cool, still covered (about 1 hour).

Return the dry ingredients and water to the original mason jar that contained the alcohol, seal, and leave for seven days, shaking vigorously once a day.

Strain the water from the dry ingredients through a cheesecloth. Discard the dry ingredients and add the water to the alcohol.

Put sugar in a small nonstick saucepan and place over a medium-high heat. Stir constantly until the sugar becomes liquid and turns dark brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool for two minutes.

Pour the sugar into the alcohol-and-water mixture. At this point the sugar may solidify, but it will quickly dissolve.

Allow the mixture to stand for seven days. Skim off any bits that float to the surface and carefully decant the clear liquid to separate it from any sediment resting on the bottom.

Measure the bitters; there should be about 12 fluid ounces. Add 6 ounces of water, and shake thoroughly. Pour the bitters into a bitters bottle. Store for up to twelve months.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
  quote
Ryan
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Promise Land of Trustafarians
 
2011-07-02, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
You're in Texas, right? Maybe try a Twin Liquors for orange bitters. Worst comes to worst, I think you can order orange bitters via the interweb. Or if you want to be a DIY baller, you can make your own. Here is Gary Regan's recipe:
TW doesn’t stock them, just Angostura and Peychaud’s. Same with the massive Garbriel’s line of stores (they own >50 stores just in San Antonio). That leaves Spec’s, which does stock Fee’s but is a thirty minute drive.

I’ve looked at ordering online, but I can’t find any with free shipping so it ends up almost doubling the price. I know it’s only a few bucks, but still.
  quote
tomoe
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Send a message via AIM to tomoe  
2011-07-02, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
TW doesn’t stock them, just Angostura and Peychaud’s. Same with the massive Garbriel’s line of stores (they own >50 stores just in San Antonio). That leaves Spec’s, which does stock Fee’s but is a thirty minute drive.

I’ve looked at ordering online, but I can’t find any with free shipping so it ends up almost doubling the price. I know it’s only a few bucks, but still.
I hear you on shipping. Just today I ordered a couple wallets that were cheap ($12) from a place in San Antonio (Saddleback Leather Co), and they charged $9 shipping to Austin for something that could fit in an envelope (I added an extra wallet to soften the blow of paying so much for shipping, and save as a potential gift).

Maybe it's worth asking if a liquor store can just order some orange bitters for you (sounds weird, but I asked my local liquor store why they don't carry Ricard and the next time I visited sure enough they had it). At any rate, I'm jealous you can get Peychaud bitters for Sazeracs (I've had a very tough time finding them here in nyc).

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
  quote
Ryan
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Promise Land of Trustafarians
 
2011-07-02, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
I hear you on shipping. Just today I ordered a couple wallets that were cheap ($12) from a place in San Antonio (Saddleback Leather Co), and they charged $9 shipping to Austin for something that could fit in an envelope (I added an extra wallet to soften the blow of paying so much for shipping, and save as a potential gift).

Maybe it's worth asking if a liquor store can just order some orange bitters for you (sounds weird, but I asked my local liquor store why they don't carry Ricard and the next time I visited sure enough they had it). At any rate, I'm jealous you can get Peychaud bitters for Sazeracs (I've had a very tough time finding them here in nyc).
Man, Peychaud’s are everywhere here. I’ve seen them in grocery stores FFS and grocers can’t even sell liquor in this state.

Sazeracs are definitely on the menu though, I’ve got everything except the Peychaud’s. Maybe I’ll pick up a bottle tomorrow.
  quote
Eugene
careful with axes
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hillsborough, CA
 
2011-07-04, 07:48

Ordered a case of the periodic Oban 18.
  quote
murbot
Mammogram Tech
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
 
2011-07-05, 13:21

It's lunch time and I could post in this thread if I wanted to. That's bad.
  quote
Eugene
careful with axes
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hillsborough, CA
 
2011-07-06, 00:54

And it's heeere...

  quote
torifile
Less than Stellar Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-07-09, 23:20

I bought a bottle of 4 Roses tonight. It's less smoky than the Maker's Mark I just finished up. It's too early for me to have other impressions.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
  quote
Eugene
careful with axes
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hillsborough, CA
 
2011-08-27, 22:05

On a real peaty kick now...



Of all the house styles on Islay, Kilchoman is the most like Laphroaig. On the nose there is more going on, though I could only tell the difference in a blind taste test after letting it dilute in my own saliva. Laphroaig is slightly sweeter.

Last edited by Eugene : 2011-08-28 at 06:33.
  quote
Ryan
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Promise Land of Trustafarians
 
2011-09-24, 02:27

Time to start exploring proper scotch. I’ve tasted (so far) Laphroaig 10, Oban 14 and Macallan 12 and I just bought home a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Gonna be a fun weekend.
  quote
Ryan
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Promise Land of Trustafarians
 
2011-09-25, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Time to start exploring proper scotch. I’ve tasted (so far) Laphroaig 10, Oban 14 and Macallan 12 and I just bought home a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Gonna be a fun weekend.
This was a good decision.
  quote
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of ice and snow
Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-11-12, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Time to start exploring proper scotch. I’ve tasted (so far) Laphroaig 10, Oban 14 and Macallan 12 and I just bought home a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Gonna be a fun weekend.
Funny. I randomly went into the local store and picked up a bottle of Oban 14 after kicking my bottle of Macallan 12. I may have to try the quarter cask next then.

The Oban is absolutely delicious for those interested.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
  quote
Eugene
careful with axes
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hillsborough, CA
 
2011-11-22, 03:58

I went out to buy Fin du Monde and Tripel Karmeliet (those are beers, I know.) While I was at the bottle shop, someone else came in and asked for two bottles of Port Ellen 9th Release 30-year-old. He was in and out in 5 minutes...didn't even stop to browse the rest of the whiskies.

So yeah, he's going all out for Turkey Day I guess.
  quote
torifile
Less than Stellar Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-12-16, 00:53

Some Glenlivet 12 year. I picked it up in duty free on my way out of Toronto last month. I almost didn't make home to RDU with it because in Boston I had to go out of one terminal and back through security to get on my connecting flight. The crazy thing is that my bags were checked *before* I bought the bottle. There was no way for me *not* to have more than the allowable 3 oz of fluid when going through the security check in Boston. Luckily I was able to convince the Delta agents to let me check the box.

Anyone going through duty free with a connection on a different airline through Logan would have had the same problem, I imagine. Ridiculous.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
  quote
jcoley2
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Darien CT
Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2011-12-25, 14:39

My wife gave me a bottle of Macallan 18 year old today for Christmas and my promotion this week, so I'm going to try some after dinner tonight.
  quote
jcoley2
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Darien CT
Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2012-04-19, 19:48

Just picked up a bottle of glenmorangie 18 year extremely rare. Found a cheap bottle on West Coast for $75 and had it shipped. This is very smooth.
  quote
Jerman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Siloam Springs, AR
 
2012-04-23, 09:20

Oh man, I LOVE Jameson. Visited Ireland years ago, Guinnes in Dubland too. Was actually my first beer! Anyway, I am fortunate enough to have Jameson available at a local liquor store. They have quite an impressive selection... I think I know what I will be buying today.
  quote
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Whitby
 
2013-01-31, 21:50

I'm drinking Bourbon Sours (Boston sour style) made with Bulleit.

Here's my recipe:

2oz Bulleit
1 1/2oz Lemon juice
1/2oz lime juice
1/2oz simple syrup
1/2oz egg white

Shake with ice. Strain, pour over ice. Serve with lime zest.

Awesome.
  quote
_Ω_
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2013-02-07, 03:31

Been sitting on this for awhile. Thinking of chopping it.

Ardbeg Nam Beist 1990.
  quote
EDS
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
 
2013-02-20, 00:55

Dimple Pinch.
  quote
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Whitby
 
2013-02-20, 14:29

So i'm trying various Bourbons to see what I like best.

So far, I've had:

Maker's Mark
Bulleit
Buffalo Trace
Knob Creek

I think I like the Buffalo Trace best so far. What else shall iI try? Is Woodford worth the extra money?
  quote
Eugene
careful with axes
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hillsborough, CA
 
2013-02-20, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I think I like the Buffalo Trace best so far. What else shall iI try? Is Woodford worth the extra money?
It's all down to personal preference. What did you like about Buffalo Trace over the others? I'd assume you felt Maker's and Bulleit were maybe a little too rich/sweet. And Knob Creek perhaps too boozy?
  quote
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Whitby
 
2013-02-25, 18:53

Sorry, missed the reply:

Indeed: The Buffalo Trace seemed the most balanced so far. The Knob Creek was a bit too "much" for what I'm doing. I did like the Bulleit, just not as much as the BT.

I actually just tried picking up something from the bottom end of the spectrum - some Wild Turkey. We seem to be going through whiskey fast, so maybe cheaper is a good choice.

I'm also wondering if I should try some Canadian Whiskey as well. I read good reviews of Alberta Springs, and that's as cheap as a cheap thing here.
  quote
tomoe
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Send a message via AIM to tomoe  
2013-02-25, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Sorry, missed the reply:

Indeed: The Buffalo Trace seemed the most balanced so far. The Knob Creek was a bit too "much" for what I'm doing. I did like the Bulleit, just not as much as the BT.

I actually just tried picking up something from the bottom end of the spectrum - some Wild Turkey. We seem to be going through whiskey fast, so maybe cheaper is a good choice.

I'm also wondering if I should try some Canadian Whiskey as well. I read good reviews of Alberta Springs, and that's as cheap as a cheap thing here.
Maybe give Eagle Rare a try if you can find it in Canada. It's a pretty tasty bang for your buck bourbon.
  quote
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Page 4 of 7 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  Next

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2021, AppleNova