User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Call of Duty 2 on Mac. What are the chances?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Call of Duty 2 on Mac. What are the chances?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
macgeek2006
Genius

2005-11-14, 22:53

My favorite game is Call of Duty, and of course it's expansion pack United Offensive. I watched the trailer for Call of Duty 2 and my mouth went dry, my jaw dropped, and I got goose bumps all over.

This game could possibly be that pinnacle creation that all these years of computer gaming have been building up too. In other words, I couldn't believe my eyes.

I must have this game. What do you think the chances of it's release on the Mac platform are?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-14, 22:56

Moving to the correct forum: Third-party Products.

macgeek2006
Genius

2005-11-14, 22:57

Thanks brad! I posted the thread, and the computer frose, and when I got it unfrozen I posted it again, not realising it actually did post it in spite of freesing.

Anyway. How long will it take for Call of Duty 2 to be on mac?

Discuss

BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-11-14, 23:18

No idea -- what does the developer say?

I'll probably get it for my PS2. It'll run better and won't take up HD space on my iBook.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-11-15, 09:07

Aspyr sent me an email claiming they are "actively considering" a port because of "COD's high popularity" on Mac. I would say there is better than a 50/50 chance it will happen, though when I have no idea. They obviously have not begun a port otherwise it would be on their status page or they would've noted it's "in the works".

I would say expect to see it by summer 2006 as it seems that's the usual amount of lag for many popular titles. In fact, it may be something to showcase at WWDC in terms of marketing OS X' "ease of porting", etc.

I am really psyched about this game, as COD / UO is by far my favorite game as well. MacGeek, there are some custom maps out there that are incredible for mp gaming. Check out Telemark and Barbarosa, as well as the old-school remakes of "Destroyed Village", "The Bridge" and a couple other MOHAA maps. You can look for the map names in your list and make sure "download" is turned on. If you have a fast connection you'll get all the sound, weapon and map mods for these things in maybe 3 or 4 minutes time. Well worth it.

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2005-11-15 at 09:12.

macgeek2006
Genius

2005-11-15, 11:14

I don't play mp. I don't have internet on my Dual 1.25 G4 tower. I use my mom's 450mhz cube to get online.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-11-15, 19:02

You don't play MP? Holy crap dude... that's the best part of the game. You haven't lived until you've capped some hapless bastard in an online killing frenzy.

Legodude522

Send a message via ICQ to Legodude522 Send a message via AIM to Legodude522 Send a message via MSN to Legodude522 Send a message via Yahoo to Legodude522 Send a message via Skype™ to Legodude522 
2005-11-15, 20:04

Well in many cases, cross platform multiplayer is broken. Only a few publishers keep it compatable...
ID Software
Blizzard
and Battlefeid 1942
That is all I know, I'm a PC guy

14" Apple iBook 1.42ghz, 1gb RAM, 160gb 7200rpm HDD. 2ghz AMD Athlon 64 3200+.
Palm m125 > Palm Zire 71 > Tapwave Zodiac 1 > Palm Zire 72 > Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000 -> Palm Tungsten T|3

macgeek2006
Genius

2005-11-16, 15:27

I'm just saying, this game looks so good, I might even buy a PC to be able to play it, if it's not brought to the mac.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-11-18, 13:29

I'm pretty sure it will; it'll just take a few months. BTW, the online MP between Mac and PC is usually pretty good with Aspyr FPS games. MOHAA and COD both work very well. The Mac client doesn't always have parity with the PC at every level, but the actual gameplay itself is very smooth if you have a good connection.

Warning: playing COD multi-player may be habit-forming. Side effects include eye-strain, carpal tunnel, high blood pressure and the urge to throw something at the screen when you're getting maimed map after map. Consult your doctor to see if COD is right for you...

rampancy

2005-11-19, 00:01

According to Glenda Adams on an IMG forum post I saw, CoD2 doesn't use Havok, a third-party game physics SDK used widely in many games, which hasn't been ported to the Mac due to excessive licensing demands (like with GameSpy). On that alone, I'd say that's a very good sign that we'll see CoD2 coming.

FYI, here is a list of titles using Havok...I wouldn't hold my breath for a Mac port of any of these games, sadly.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2005-11-19, 00:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampancy
FYI, here is a list of titles using Havok...I wouldn't hold my breath for a Mac port of any of these games, sadly.
Damn, no F.E.A.R.... or Age of Empires III (of course I've been waiting forever on the long overdue expansion pack port to Age of Mythology)...

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-11-19, 10:19

That Age of Empires game looks pretty cool I must say. Oh well. There's always Myst V.

macgeek2006
Genius

2005-11-28, 03:22

Why doesn't Aspyr respond to emails? Can I call them? Does that phone number on their site connect you to a person who could actually tell you what is going on?

Also, do you think the system requierments will be higher than COD 1?

Will it still work on my Dual 1.25 G4/64mb VRAM?

MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-11-28, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek2006
Why doesn't Aspyr respond to emails? Can I call them? Does that phone number on their site connect you to a person who could actually tell you what is going on?
You could call and find out.

Quote:
Also, do you think the system requierments will be higher than COD 1?

Will it still work on my Dual 1.25 G4/64mb VRAM?
Yes, it will be higher than COD1, at least CPU wise.

Based on the PC system requirements:
http://www.driverheaven.net/articles...Of%20Duty%202/

You might barely be able to play it (assuming a Mac port was produced), although I doubt it would play well.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-12-01, 14:37

Dude, relax. Even if you call they are not going to give you all kinds of information. They're going to say something like "nothing's for sure right now, but we're evaluating bringing this game to Mac." Long story short, they will make it happen because it will make money for them. It's just going to take a few months for it to materialize. Probably late spring or summer. Think about something else for now.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-01, 15:01

I'm going to come out and say you'll need at least a G5 with a Radeon 9800 Pro to be happy with CoD2 performance (assuming it gets ported to Mac). A dual G4 of 1.25-1.42 GHz clock speed might work too. How well does the original Call Of Duty run on your machine? And what video card do you have - is it a Radeon 9000, a GeForce 4MX, or something else?

macgeek2006
Genius

2005-12-01, 15:40

I have a Radeon 9000 with 64MB DDR V-Ram.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-01, 15:52

Yeah, it's not going to look very good. You'll basically have to turn down the settings to the point where it doesn't look any better than CoD 1, and then all you have is the fresh storyline and whatever engine improvements you get. Call Of Duty 2 is graphically impressive enough to show off the Xbox 360's hardware, and I really wouldn't want to run it on a Mac.

In fact, the price of a new video card to (possibly) run CoD2 decently on a Mac (if/when) it comes out is probably around $200. That's the price of an original Xbox along with the Call Of Duty 2 game for that. So I'd think twice before buying a new video card just *maybe* run one game *decently* on your Mac, *assuming it actually gets made*.

macgeek2006
Genius

2005-12-02, 12:02

I'm not getting an xbox, I don't even have a TV.

I'm just gonna wait and see what the requirments for mac are. I know they are releasing it on mac.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-02, 13:22

I got a 19" TV for $35. Found it on a bulletin board at my school.

I'm just sayin'. Hopefully there will be a demo of the game so you can assess the performance on your machine. But I wouldn't get your hopes up, and if you're going to spend a bunch of money on a new graphics card you may as well put that towards a gaming system instead.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-12-03, 09:38

Tell you what, when it comes out I'll run it on my Dual G5 with 6GB of RAM and a Radeon 9800 Pro Special Mac Edition (the 256MB G5 only card with the new fangled architecture, not the other 9800 Pro edition) and if my head doesn't asplode with fragging glee, I'll let you know. I will post screenshots if you guys want also, but it's so far off I have a feeling that you'll have to remind me.

macgeek2006
Genius

2005-12-04, 13:29

Damn it. What are they waiting for???

macgeek2006
Genius

2005-12-05, 14:44

YESS!!! VICTORY!!!

I just called them. The guy said they are working on it. He said it's not in project status because it's still too early. He says it's going to run on mac better than most other games for the mac, and they're shooting for a released date shortly after christmas.

YAY!!!!

he did say though that the video card requirment will probably be FX 5200/Radeon 9600. YIKES!

BenRoethig

2005-12-05, 14:57

No offense, but I'll believe it when it shows up on IMG's front page.

macgeek2006
Genius

2005-12-05, 15:10

*chuckle*. The guy at aspyr on the PHONE told me this. I don't think I got a wrong number.

And yes, he said it's not officaly known yet.

BenRoethig

2005-12-05, 15:56

I have no reason to believe you're being untruthful, but anyone can say they talked to some guy at Aspyr. Without verification, I cannot consider to anything but a rumor.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-05, 16:02

Furthermore, we have no idea if the person on the other end of the phone was someone who is actually actively involved with its development or if it was a generic phone operator who just gives optimistic but noncommittal responses to your requests. The latter is much more likely; very few companies are so full of leaks that one call from a teenaged gamer will extract genuine information about unannounced future releases.

I just think you shouldn't get your hopes too high over this, macgeek.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

macgeek2006
Genius

2005-12-05, 17:01

Why doesn't somebody else from here call to verify? A few weeks ago when I called he said "Most likely" but admitted that they had no plans what so ever yet. Now he said that they are working on it, and it's going to be one of the best mac games yet. But whatever. I'll wait, if you guys need offical evidence.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-05, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek2006
he did say though that the video card requirment will probably be FX 5200/Radeon 9600. YIKES!
Those are very low-end, cheap video cards these days. They're $50 to buy new, at least for PCs, and they shouldn't be over $100 even for Mac users. They are also the lowest-end programmable GPUs, and they support features like Pixel Shader 2.0 and so on.