User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

the "can you do this" with an iPhone thread...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
the "can you do this" with an iPhone thread...
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-07-05, 12:26

ok...loving the iPhone...near perfect so far...

but i have a question or two....and figure others do too

1) if i get an email and it has a photo, well all is cool since i can see the photo and i can enlarge the photo etc...but can i take that photo and put it into my iPhones photo library? i know i can sync it into my iPhone when i get home and on the iMac, but can i move it from email in iPhone to library in iPhone?

2) i love my old phone ring and dislike ringtones in general...but i did use answer or ringback tones (people who call me expect to hear the clash or steely dan or david bowie when they call me)...does the iPhone do answer tones?

more questions to follow

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-07-05, 12:32

Dont know the answer to your first question, but I believe answer tones are a network feature and not a phone feature. Check your att account online and look at the ringtones and games section.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-07-05, 12:45

From the iPhone user manual, p. 37:

"Assign a ringtone to a contact
From Phone, Tap Contacts and choose a contact, then tap Edit. Tap Assign Ringtone and choose a ringtone. When that person calls, you hear that ringtone."

As for the first item, I have not seen any way to do this. P48 of the user manual shows the screen to view image attachments in Mail, but I don't know what that bottom row of icons is.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2007-07-05, 13:16

BR, I think that's the inverse of what he wants to know. He wants to know if, instead of the standard ring that the caller hears when waiting for the recipient to answer, if he can have a different tone. Some networks/packages allow this. So if you call a friend, instead of hearing the ringing sound, you hear "Hey Man, Nice Shot" or something until your buddy picks up.

This has no bearing on what your buddy hears on his end in the classic "ringtone" sense.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2007-07-05, 13:36

Oh, I see. That's a Verizon thing, isn't it? Or have others picked it up? I've never even inquired about it on Cingular/at&t's network.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-07-05, 13:39

Here's a link to AT&T's website explaining about "answer tones."

I don't think it's a phone dependent feature, so it should work no matter what phone you have.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-07-05, 13:49

yeah, i like my phone to just ring...one ring...i don't need people on the street to hear my favorite song...

strangely i don't mind forcing people calling me to hear a song...it is the price they pay to communicate with me

so...forcing strangers on the street to hear my phone play the latest snoop dog song is obnoxious
forcing people calling me to hear the same thing...priceless

g

thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-07-05, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
Here's a link to AT&T's website explaining about "answer tones."

I don't think it's a phone dependent feature, so it should work no matter what phone you have.

thanks for the link...not here yet...

only:

If you live in San Francisco, CA or Indianapolis, IN you may be able to trial the new AT&T Answer Tones service™.

strange choice of cities

g

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-07-05, 13:53

I was just coming back to post that. I didn't notice that the first time I read it. It is a weird choice for a trial.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-05, 14:56

They're going for the gay/race car driver demographic, obviously.

I'm KIDDING.

Seriously, I figure SF for its huge, Bay Area tech-savvy population. And I think Indianapolis is a large AT&T center (did I read that somewhere? One of those "I" states...Indiana, Iowa, Illinois... ).

And if it's not that maybe, it was selected for its central, "middle America" location, population, etc.?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-07-05, 15:00

Any word on some sort of chat client yet? My buddy showed my one website, but because of the server, it only worked in 10 minute intervals.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-05, 15:02

I've not heard anything firm, but there's no reason Apple couldn't offer it with a future software update. Especially upon Leopard's release (where Apple007 speculated yesterday that Leopard being pushed back to October instead of its original June release might've resulted in a few iPhone capabilities and features laying low for now; but, upon Leopard's release, they will see the light of day via some software updates).
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2007-07-05, 15:08

in the meantime, there's always meebo
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-07-05, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Seriously, I figure SF for its huge, Bay Area tech-savvy population. And I think Indianapolis is a large AT&T center (did I read that somewhere? One of those "I" states...Indiana, Iowa, Illinois... ).
It could have something to do with the quality of their network here. AT&T has been consistently rated the best network in Indianapolis. They might think that troubleshooting one feature is easier if you have fewer problems elsewhere with your network.

It's still a little puzzling, but I think that's a reasonable explanation. Plus, even though I don't use that feature, it's nice to be included in something like this for a change.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-07-05, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
in the meantime, there's always meebo
TUAW just did a little write up about using Meebo on the iPhone. There are some little quirks, but it seems to work reasonably well.
almost2mac

2007-07-05, 17:04

Can I make iPhoto *stop* coming up after I've imported pictures from the phone?

I've had the same 3 pictures on my phone for several days, but every time I dock, up pops iPhoto helpfully. I've already exported them.

Do I need to delete them from the phone and reimport them to make this happen?

I also want a way to scrub through podcasts easier. How about if you touch the scrub playhead a virtual clickwheel drops down to let you preciscely fast forward?
neiltc13

2007-07-05, 17:11

Does iPhone have a PIN lock on startup? I like to stop my brother from using my phone so I switch it off when it's not with me and he can't use it because of the PIN. I've never seen anything to suggest iPhone has a PIN or password feature though.
rasmits
rams it

2007-07-05, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
yeah, i like my phone to just ring...one ring...i don't need people on the street to hear my favorite song...

strangely i don't mind forcing people calling me to hear a song...it is the price they pay to communicate with me

so...forcing strangers on the street to hear my phone play the latest snoop dog song is obnoxious
forcing people calling me to hear the same thing...priceless

g
I completely agree. My phone is on vibrate 100% of the time because I hate hearing ringtones.

CallerTunes though... well... those are sweet.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2007-07-05, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post
Does iPhone have a PIN lock on startup? I like to stop my brother from using my phone so I switch it off when it's not with me and he can't use it because of the PIN. I've never seen anything to suggest iPhone has a PIN or password feature though.
Yes it does. They show you how to do it in one of the "finger tips" videos...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Check out #9.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-07-05, 17:23

Quote:
You haven't looked hard enough then. Why am I not surprised?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2007-07-05, 17:30

Uh, does Neil have an iPhone? Why? Doesn't it suck? Or was he attempting a (not very well-researched) trolling?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-07-05, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
Uh, does Neil have an iPhone? Why? Doesn't it suck? Or was he attempting a (not very well-researched) trolling?

The latter, I believe. Since he's in the UK, he can't have one yet (or at least one that works).
neiltc13

2007-07-05, 17:43

Jeez guys, I don't deserve this hostility. Get a grip - I only asked a question in an appropriate thread.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-07-05, 17:44

Quote:
Jeez guys, I don't deserve this hostility. Get a grip - I only asked a question in an appropriate thread.
It was a question that could have been answered by looking at Apple's pages for Christ's sake. You didn't even need to look for it.
neiltc13

2007-07-05, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
It was a question that could have been answered by looking at Apple's pages for Christ's sake. You didn't even need to look for it.
Are you going to be such a jackass to everyone who asks legitimate questions about features which are not widely publicised aside from in a video buried away with several mouse clicks?

Take some cues from other Q&A's in this thread. Engine Joe offered help to answer the question and added to the discussion without provoking an argument. I think you'll actually find that it is your behaviour in this thread which is tantamount to trolling, not mine.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-07-05, 18:09

I don't think it's Tori's behavior, neiltc

The fact is that you are in here asking a question about a topic which you've made obvious that you don't like (the iPhone, if it's not obvious enough ), that a simple search would have found out.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-07-05, 18:10

Quote:
Are you going to be such a jackass to everyone who asks legitimate questions about features which are not widely publicised aside from in a video buried away with several mouse clicks?
No. Just to you.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-07-05, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
No. Just to you.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2007-07-05, 18:22

Methinks I missed something during my "sabbatical" (which extends to prior to the iPhone's announcement).
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2007-07-05, 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe View Post
Methinks I missed something during my "sabbatical" (which extends to prior to the iPhone's announcement).
This may shed some light on the situation.