User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple schedules "major event" for January 26, 2010...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple schedules "major event" for January 26, 2010...
Page 5 of 43 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-12-28, 12:18

You see I heard the opposite. 7" was phased out as it wasn't big enough.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-12-28, 12:28

Maybe it's 10" glass with a 1.5" black bezel all around and you get a 7" viewable display.
After all, you still have to hold the tablet somewhere without your thumb inadvertently hitting a link on a webpage.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-28, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Maybe they're launching both a 7" and a 10" model? Who knows?

10" seems a little big too me, but we'll see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
You see I heard the opposite. 7" was phased out as it wasn't big enough.
That's what she said.

How about 8.5" and STFU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Maybe it's 10" glass with a 1.5" black bezel all around and you get a 7" viewable display.
After all, you still have to hold the tablet somewhere without your thumb inadvertently hitting a link on a webpage.
There you go...a sensible, well-reasoned response.

Ban this guy now. Who let him in?!

But seriously, that could be something. It's like the iMac...a 20" display (mine, anyway), but the glass covering it is about an inch larger on each side. Same with the iPhone (minus the one-inch part).

A 7" device would be like having four iPhone screens? 200% enlargement? Is that right?

Quite a bit of room, simply enlarging the current iPhone display by 200%, to 7".

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2009-12-28 at 13:01.

zippy
Veteran Member

2009-12-28, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
That would be a big departure from LCD construction. Bezels that had any significant overlap of the glass were a feature of CRTs, but LCDs have never had much overlap since their inception. Look at the iPhone and iPod Touch - the actual glass has no bezel overlapping it. When they say 10" Display that should end up with just about 10" viewable.

Besides, 1.5" all the way around? That would be fugly.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-28, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
No kidding. It would look like the original Eee PC.

How about a 4.5" 360x640 iPhone and then a 9" 720x1280 tablet? That's basically pscates' "4x iPhone" idea, but with a better resolution on the iPhone and a nice, "compromise" size for the tablet. And Apple's no stranger to groundbreaking computers with nine-inch screens...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-28, 13:19

Is all that black area electrical tape or something? WTF?!

Looks almost like a Kindle.

ducks

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-12-28, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
That would be a big departure from LCD construction. Bezels that had any significant overlap of the glass were a feature of CRTs, but LCDs have never had much overlap since their inception. Look at the iPhone and iPod Touch - the actual glass has no bezel overlapping it. When they say 10" Display that should end up with just about 10" viewable.

Perhaps all the confusion between the two sizes is that the 7" is the LCD panel and the 10" is the glossy glass on top.

Yeah it would be fugly. While the iPhone doesn't have an overlapping bezel, it does have a black border. And it's also the same with the current MacBooks/Pro.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-28, 17:21

Again, I ask you...based on what?

A bunch of meathead analysts go and make a big claim like this, and if Apple "only" sells 1.2 million (of something they've never even said they're making, remember), it'll be seen as a "failure".

Idiots.

It's one thing to speculate, guess, imagine various "what if?" scenarios (for fun), etc. But people and companies (why, I don't know) routinely listen to all this shit and will ding Apple for "underperforming", tied to nothing more than some investment pud's based-on-nothing fevered ramblings. You can't just make stuff up that influences decisions, standing, reputation, etc. based on what you think will happen. Can you? There should be a law.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2009-12-28, 17:30

It's the Newton. Nice.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-28, 17:35

Are you speaking in your official capacity as a campus Apple store rep (or has that gig ended)? Spill it!

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-12-28, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

A bunch of meathead analysts go and make a big claim like this, and if Apple "only" sells 1.2 million (of something they've never even said they're making, remember), it'll be seen as a "failure".
Many analysts do just spew nonsense. And everything they say should taken with a grain of salt.

But let's consider a more conspiratorial angle.
Could Apple also benefit from the hype?
They can strategically leak bits of information without actually committing themselves to anything.
They can gauge both positive and negative responses on forums and various tech blogs.
This gives marketing valuable information on public sentiment.

Of course probably none of this actually happens, since the decision is Jobs and Jobs alone.

Iago

2009-12-29, 08:54

I'll put my neck on the line and guess that they've bought Pystar, and are commissioning them to make a hackintoshed Litl. YMMV.

Jason
Veteran Member

2009-12-29, 09:08

Wow. Analysts are talking about unit pricing and bloggers are talking projected sales figures.
Tech pundits and journalists poring over the dimensions and features.
And all this for a product that has never even been acknowledged by Apple to even exist.

I'm looking forward to my iLife updates on the 26th.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-29, 09:27

Ha! Yeah, that's a very good point, actually. The 26th, because Macworld is no longer a venue, could simply be iLife and iWork '10 releases and demos. Think about it...every iLife (and iWork) release has been part of a keynote or special event presentation, because that's the best place to demo all the new features and capabilities (think back over the years and you'll see I'm right; iLife - or iWork - isn't the type of product they can just put out via an online store update and press release...they demand hands-on demos and working, in-use explanations, all those spiffy new features). I'd go so far as to say that's how most of us even know how to use them, after seeing Steve or Phil walk through it during a Macworld keynote or wherever. "Silent updates" don't make sense for software as sprawling and full-featured as iLife and iWork.

I never really thought about that until now, and you bring up a good case. It will be 2010, after all, in less than a week...as good a time as any for a new iLife and iWork release.

In a way, that would be hilarious...because the entertainment value in watching all the bloggers, pundits and "tech insiders" crap their pants when a tablet isn't unveiled would be through the roof.

Granted, there's nothing saying that a tablet (or some new hardware of some kind) can't be part of this event (or that iLife/iWork can't be part of a larger hardware event). After all, in August 2007, Apple released the aluminum/glass iMacs at a special media event, and, with those, also the new versions of iLife and iWork ('08). If we think about what non-tablet hardware is slated for updates, I can easily imagine an event on the 26th that simply unveils new Mac Pro or MacBook Pro (and/or MacBook Air?) machines, along with the two updated software packages.

People will say "but those are pro machines and the software is consumer-oriented!". Who cares? Then the event will truly be a "something for everyone" affair, won't it? The new machines - "pro" as they may be - will still come with iLife preinstalled, as always, so why shouldn't the two products share an event? It's not as though iLife doesn't run on (or come installed) on the pro gear.

In a way, that almost makes more "real world" sense (an event for new pro machines and iSoftware) than the other thing (that "t" gizmo).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2009-12-29 at 09:44.

Iago

2009-12-29, 09:49

We'll definitely see some new hardware on the 26th, but I'm also of the opinion that it might just be MacBook Pro & Air refreshes.

Incidentally, I don't think we'll see a new iPhone in 2010. The 3GS is "good enough" that Apple will phase out the 3G, cut the price on the 3GS, release 4.0 and go multi-carrier in the U.S.

I'm Joseph Fritzl, and no windows was my idea.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-12-29, 10:04

I also doubt we'll see an upgraded 3G-type iphone this year, other than maybe storage capacity or something worthy of a "silent refresh". 4G is definitely on the way in.

...into the light of a dark black night.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-29, 10:11

What is 4G, technically? Who has that, carrier-wise? How is it different from 3G (or, in my case, EDGE)? When is it gong to be "everywhere" (my city just got 3G coverage about a year or so ago, and things on the tech front don't seem to happen fast or first here).

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-29, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago View Post
Incidentally, I don't think we'll see a new iPhone in 2010. The 3GS is "good enough" that Apple will phase out the 3G, cut the price on the 3GS, release 4.0 and go multi-carrier in the U.S.
If Apple's going to go multi-carrier in the US, we'll have to see some form of new iPhone, even if it's just a refreshed 3G S with T-Mobile's AWS 3G band. And that'd be such a waste, wouldn't it?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Iago

2009-12-29, 10:28

Quote:
If Apple's going to go multi-carrier in the US, we'll have to see some form of new iPhone, even if it's just a refreshed 3G S with T-Mobile's AWS 3G band. And that'd be such a waste, wouldn't it?
This is what I meant. No cosmetic or spec bumps, just multi-carrier support.

Also: I'm beginning to feel that when Apple ordered 30" ACDs from their manufacturers, someone accidentally pressed the 0 key twice, and instead of ordering 300,000, they ordered 3,000,000. PLEASE UPDATE THE 30" ACD FOR THE LOVE OF CRIKEY.

I'm Joseph Fritzl, and no windows was my idea.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-29, 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
What is 4G, technically? Who has that, carrier-wise? How is it different from 3G (or, in my case, EDGE)? When is it gong to be "everywhere" (my city just got 3G coverage about a year or so ago, and things on the tech front don't seem to happen fast or first here).
Roboman's big guide to Teh Gs

GPRS is basically the worst data that the iPhone supports. When you see that little circle instead of an E or 3G, that means you can't even get EDGE. Think of the little circle as an "o," as in "slooooooooooooooow."

EDGE is what the original iPhone used. The original iPhone was actually launched well into the 3G era, which meant that EDGE (think of it as 2.75-G) networks were well-developed, but the speeds weren't really competitive -- especially on such a data-hungry smartphone. Since Apple went 3G, the only major player still making EDGE-only smartphones is RIM (on their lowest-end BlackBerries).

3G comes in multiple flavors (technically all generations have, but the iPhone has supported multiple 3G flavors):

HSDPA 3.6 was the flavor the original iPhone 3G supported (there were other, slower 3G flavors before it).

HSDPA 7.2 is the flavor the iPhone 3G S supports. It's, well, twice as fast (in theory).

HSPA+ is the new hotness, and it's usually known as "3G+" to consumers. The first version is about three times as fast (in theory) as HSDPA 7.2. Several networks in Canada have already rolled it out, and T-Mobile USA is scheduled to light it up next year. AT&T has other things to worry about...

4G is what's coming next. It's called LTE, Long Term Evolution. The cool part about LTE is that Verizon (which previously used CDMA standards that I haven't even covered) and AT&T and T-Mobile (which have used the GSM standards, outlined above) will finally be on the same page. Verizon is essentially switching to the GSM standard for their fourth-generation network, which is a Big Deal, and it makes the "iPhone on Verizon" thing a lot more...plausible.

Verizon is set to start lighting up their 4G network next year, along with a few markets in Canada, but we'll likely see 4G in laptops and data cards (and, *cough,* larger tablet devices) before we see it in phones. If Apple picked up 4G with the 2010 iPhone, they'd be a really early adopter, and many people around the world wouldn't get that key improvement. For cost's sake, it's likely that they'd put 4G radios only in models where the network was there, and then continued to sell a new 3G (3G+?) model elsewhere in the world.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-29, 10:41

Interesting, I didn't know most (okay, any) of that. Thank you.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-12-29, 10:43

I thought 4G was Wi-Max. ??? Isn't that what Sprint has?

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-29, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I thought 4G was Wi-Max. ??? Isn't that what Sprint has?
Sprint has gone off into their own little world with WiMAX, which isn't a GSM or CDMA standard, but rather its own thing. They're calling it 4G because it's the network they're launching after their 3G CDMA one, and because "4G!" is marketable, but it's actually sort of debatable whether they...should.

Sprint/Clearwire hasn't ruled out launching LTE if their WiMAX experiment turns out to be a dud. To date there are no WiMAX phones.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-12-29, 11:58

Good to know. I didn't realize there was a "real" 4G coming down the pipeline. How fast will it be compared to 3G?

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-12-29, 12:23

Quote:

Sprint/Clearwire hasn't ruled out launching LTE if their WiMAX experiment turns out to be a dud. To date there are no WiMAX phones.

Weren't they starting to roll out Wi-Max in test cities a couple years ago for internet connectivity (computers, not phones)? I haven't heard a thing since, so I'm wondering if dud is the correct answer. Usually when companies go off and try to do their own protocols and standards it doesn't work too well unless there's buy-in from the open source community or other companies.

...into the light of a dark black night.

Iago

2009-12-29, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Good to know. I didn't realize there was a "real" 4G coming down the pipeline. How fast will it be compared to 3G?
According to a quick Google, you lazy dog, 3G = up to 2Mbps, 4G = up to 100Mbps.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2009-12-29, 14:00

"Up to" being the operative words there. No way in hell will you get 100Mb/s in real world usage.

Iago

2009-12-29, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026 View Post
"Up to" being the operative words there. No way in hell will you get 100Mb/s in real world usage.
Au contraire, mon ami. My house should be just fine.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-12-29, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026 View Post
Even if it were 10 Mbps, that would be pretty sweet (for example, DVD maximum bitrate is 10 Mbps). Every "G" should be at least an order of magnitude improvement, and that would be about right.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-12-29, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago View Post
Au contraire, mon ami. My house should be just fine.
I still wouldn't bet on it. My office has a cell tower literally next to it (only a hundred or so feet), and we still get shitty 3G service.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.