User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Question Possible for me and my wife to remove wrangler hardtop?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Question Possible for me and my wife to remove wrangler hardtop?
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-03-07, 14:06

Me and my wife get our wrangler this thursday. first thing we want to do is remove the hardtop since the weather is great.

will we be able to remove the top ourselfs? Not only that but we live in an apartment building and we will have to put the top in the large lift and take the top up to our apartment for storage (we got a lot of room). So is it difficult to carry the top? We will only be doing this a handful of times a year. Any tips? Tools I need?

Any advice would be great.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
wuf

Send a message via AIM to wuf Send a message via MSN to wuf  
2005-03-07, 14:11

Haven't taken off a hard top before, but I would suggest just getting a soft top too. I've had my Bestop for a few years now with no problems. They are cheap and easie to put down. What year is the jeep?

"Have you hugged your Mac today?"
usurp

2005-03-07, 14:22

its a 2004 sport. We got it with the hardtop plus a bikini thingy. soft top wouldnt be too practical here in kuwait cuz of the weather..
wuf

2005-03-07, 14:42

I've had my softtop go through hurricanes dennis, floyd, isabel, ect....with no problems. I live on the coast, too. You do have a lot of sand and stuff I'm guessing, so that might get a little annoying.

usurp

2005-03-07, 14:51

no more like the 122 degrees heat in the summer
wuf

2005-03-07, 15:17

As far as equipment to take it off, you will probably (knowing jeeps) need a set of torx head sockets. Don't quote me on that, but everything on my wrangler takes them. Oh, and a couple extra sets of hands!

Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2005-03-07, 16:17

The old ones were heavier then hell. It took me, my buddy, alci, and my uncle to carry the last one if I recall correctly, and my friend was enormous. If you have enough people I'm sure it'll be fine, there are about 8 bolts or so you have to unscrew and that's about it. That's if I'm remembering everything correctly.

And All That Could Have Been
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-03-07, 16:34

i took that same one off alone this spring. it's heavy, but if you balance it just right on your back you can do it with one person. the tricky part is stepping down from the car. not sure about the new ones though.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2005-03-07, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
i took that same one off alone this spring. it's heavy, but if you balance it just right on your back you can do it with one person. the tricky part is stepping down from the car. not sure about the new ones though.
Seriously? Well going up stairs to an apartment and navigating doorways might be a tad harder then open NM. If you can get a extra hand or two I'd do it.

And All That Could Have Been