Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

MacBook can use iMac as a display?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook can use iMac as a display?
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-27, 05:31

I plan on purchasing a MacBook in the medium term and something just popped into my head.

I was wondering if I could connect the MacBook to my iMac G5 for the purpose of using the iMac as 20" display. Is it possible? How can?

Or is this grand plan going nowhere?

Thanks for your time.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-27, 05:39

Your iMac G5 doesn't have video input, which means there's two ways to accomplish this. You could either get a video input device, such as something from Elgato, that you connect via USB or FireWire. Then you could get the video output adapter for the MacBook ($19, IIRC), and there you go. That's very much low quality, however.

The other, much cheaper way is to connect the two using data cables (Ethernet, USB or FireWire). You'd need a software for this. I think something like Teleport may work.

(There may be a way to add VGA in or even DVI in to the iMac, at somewhat restricted bandwidth, but I haven't heard of any solution like this. That would be ideal.)
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-27, 05:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Your iMac G5 doesn't have video input, which means there's two ways to accomplish this. You could either get a video input device, such as something from Elgato, that you connect via USB or FireWire. Then you could get the video output adapter for the MacBook ($19, IIRC), and there you go. That's very much low quality, however.

The other, much cheaper way is to connect the two using data cables (Ethernet, USB or FireWire). You'd need a software for this. I think something like Teleport may work.

(There may be a way to add VGA in or even DVI in to the iMac, at somewhat restricted bandwidth, but I haven't heard of any solution like this. That would be ideal.)
Thanks chucker.

When you say in option 1 "that's ... low quality" what do you mean specifically?

Does option two have the same quality issue(s)?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-27, 06:04

Video is low quality because 1) you're converting a digital image to analog, then back to digital (such conversion is always lossy), and 2) you're working with PAL (or NTSC) resolutions, which are far lower than typical Mac/PC resolutions.

Option two has no quality issues, although perhaps latency.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-27, 06:10

Thanks again, chucker. I guess it is a try-and-see.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar (or the same) setup?
Koodari
Veteran Member

2006-05-28, 05:17

This is a practical example of why I refuse to buy AIO's. I can't afford to waste a good display when I want to use another computer or upgrade. They're fine for people who don't need to upgrade, don't have multiple computers, or have enough moolah that a couple hundred $ simply does not matter.

(end offtopic rant)