Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

White Screen at OS X Startup

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
White Screen at OS X Startup
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
artesc

2009-04-12, 18:37

I did a search, but the only semi-relevant result that came up was from 3 years ago for an iMac G3 so I figured I start up a new thread.

When my gf's MacBook (2.0 Ghz, 1 gb ram, 80 gb hdd, latest leopard install) starts up, I hear the OSX chime, then the computer gets stuck on a white screen. I can hear the hard drive spin up and it doesn't sound weird so I don't think its that. I've tried resetting the PRAM and NVRAM, but the only method that worked was holding down the on button until it chimed (the option, cmd, P, R didn't work). So, I'm basically going in circles here.

I'm waiting for her Leopard install disc to be sent (it's back home and she's across the country in college) so I can boot from the disc (hold down 'c' right?) and run some diagnostics from it.

Any other suggestions? Might it be the RAM? The HDD? What??

artesc all the way!
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-04-12, 18:59

Got a 2nd Mac and a Firewire cable?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-04-12, 19:09

Only a white screen? No Apple logo, grey, spinner, or anything else?

That's a pretty unusual symptom. My guess would be that something has gone bad with the video chipset or the cable that connects the display to the motherboard, either of which is potentially very bad (and probably expensive to repair if out of warranty).

Of course, if it boots from the install disc (yes, hold 'c') and the display works fine, that'll rule out the bad hardware explanation.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
noleli2

2009-04-12, 20:16

It doesn't sound like it's even getting far enough into the process for verbose mode to be of much help, but it couldn't hurt: try booting while holding command-v. If there's anything going on, it'll tell you.

Also, if some RAM went bad, it could be failing the memory test right when you turn it on.
artesc

2009-04-13, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleli2 View Post
It doesn't sound like it's even getting far enough into the process for verbose mode to be of much help, but it couldn't hurt: try booting while holding command-v. If there's anything going on, it'll tell you.

Also, if some RAM went bad, it could be failing the memory test right when you turn it on.
I tried booting into verbose mode, to no avail when I was doing run through of troubleshooting procedures. I was thinking it may be the ram so I'm going to put some other sticks in and see what happens. I really hope it is just the hdd and nothing else, although the whole only white screen thing is scaring me. Still waiting for the leopard disc, so I guess we'll see what happens.

artesc all the way!
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-04-13, 10:35

Target disk mode via FW may tell you if the hdd is ok.
RobUSVI

2009-04-13, 11:37

> Only a white screen? No Apple logo, grey, spinner, or anything else?

If you hear a chime, but get nothing but a blank screen (no apple logo), then firmware failed to load the boot loader from the HDD. Usually indicates a failed HDD. Try to boot from optical media and check the disk with disk utility. If you cannot boot from optical, remove the HDD and try again. I've seen failed HDD controllers confuse firmware into hanging at this point of the boot process.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-13, 16:19

Wouldn't he get the file folder with question mark though if the OS can't be found?
Justin

2009-04-13, 23:05

Going with a friend tomorrow to take his iMac in. It was doing the same thing and they told him over the phone it was the hard drive.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-04-13, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Wouldn't he get the file folder with question mark though if the OS can't be found?
Precisely what I had thought. Just two weeks ago, in fact, I replaced a dead hard drive in a coworker's machine and its display warmed up properly and showed the blinky icon.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
RobUSVI

2009-04-14, 05:15

Quote:
Normally, yes. But if a failed controller on the HDD (the logic on the drive itself) locks up firmware, which I have seen, then the computer hangs here. Easy test is to remove the HDD and see if the broken folder comes up. If so, HDD is the culprit. Regardless, a blank screen with a valid apple tone (POST) and no Apple Logo means that firmware is stuck and has failed to load the boot loader from the HDD. As to why: bad HDD, bad optical drive, bad memory, or bad logic board.

See Leopard Startup, Section A: Hardware Startup in the Mac OS Certification Courses for details.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-04-14, 06:00

Hmmm... I would have thought that a bad logic board would result in POST fail.

According to that wiki, BIOS checks ought to include memory too, eliminating that as a fault candidate if you get the happy POST chime.
Did the internal workings of POST change that substantially with New World Macs and EFI?
Is POST now only checking pass/fail at a lower abstraction level (e.g.: devices, but not volumes... ram installed, but not if it's faulty)?

No Car Crash Death Chime anymore, either... pity.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2009-04-14 at 06:14. Reason: YouTube options for Startup/Death chimes
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-04-14, 12:24

I have heard stories of MacBook HDs going bad, and being replaced by Apple (even out of warranty) because it's a "known issue".

So, perhaps it might not hurt to run this by the Genius Bar...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-04-14, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
Hmmm... I would have thought that a bad logic board would result in POST fail.

According to that wiki, BIOS checks ought to include memory too, eliminating that as a fault candidate if you get the happy POST chime.
Did the internal workings of POST change that substantially with New World Macs and EFI?
Is POST now only checking pass/fail at a lower abstraction level (e.g.: devices, but not volumes... ram installed, but not if it's faulty)?

No Car Crash Death Chime anymore, either... pity.
You would think if it was a hardware issue system alerts (flashing sleep light, or beeps) would occur.
artesc

2009-04-14, 20:38

Well, I got the Leopard disc and verified that it was the HDD. It was so strange, I had never seen a completely white screen like that with no response whatsoever.

I ran into a rather less technical issue; I cannot for the life of me get the middle screw off that holds that metal strip in the back. The two side screws came out, but that last will not; I even ruined my little glasses screwdriver (the only one that fit) trying to get it out. WTF?

I'm thinking that I might just take it to the genius bar; it is well out of warranty, but its a Hitachi drive and I seem to recall those drives having issues (or was it Seagate). Anyways, do you all think I'd have a chance of having it replaced free of charge? I mean, there are other problems too; that infamous crack on the lower right side of the palm rest is starting to develop for the second time (had it replaced once under warranty). The only concern that I have is that I took the MacBook's screen apart to do that mod where you change the color of the Apple logo. Would this completely negate any claim I might have?

Also, in your experience, what has been the best way of going about getting stuff repaired out of warranty? Being angry? Polite? What?

Thanks for any input.

artesc all the way!
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-04-14, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by artesc View Post
Also, in your experience, what has been the best way of going about getting stuff repaired out of warranty? Being angry? Polite? What?

Thanks for any input.
Storm in like you are God Almighty Himself and demand your problems are fixed immediately, making sure to push anyone else out of your way as you march towards the Genius Bar....

But seriously, especially as you seem to have some problems with the screws on the casing, are a long way out of warranty, and have most likely invalidated any warranty with your screen mod... I would be very meek indeed.

HDs lasting any more than a couple of years is truly a bonus these days.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-14, 21:48

Quote:

Also, in your experience, what has been the best way of going about getting stuff repaired out of warranty? Being angry? Polite? What?.
Very polite and understanding of what the policy is. I would certainly not give any negative vibe at all. It boils down to the Genius' call on if they send it off for repair.

Here's something that might work for you though; does your MB have cracking plastic? If it has cracking plastic Apple will replace it even outside of warranty. They did for me on my MB (out of warranty) and replaced the combo drive in it while they were in there. This would take care of the screw and the HDD at the same time.

Be nice, ask nicely.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
RobUSVI

2009-04-15, 06:01

Quote:

Thanks for any input.
Best bet is to call Applecare and try to get a CS (customer satisfaction) number out of them. (NOT a case number, but a CS number). As far as any AASP (apple authorized service provider) is concerned, a CS number is as good as money. In my experience, the jerks are the ones that get CS numbers out of Applecare.

As somebody that repairs computers, you will get a lot further with me by being polite. It isn't my fault that your computer isn't working. I deal with jerks every day that believe I owe them something just because I fix Apple computers. I'm sympathetic to the people that are upset at Apple, but the people that take their frustrations with Apple out on me because I am available will see their computer rot in the corner collecting dust before I lift a finger to help them. I don't work in an Apple Store, but imagine that their repair folks probably feel the same way.
artesc

2009-04-15, 18:07

Yup, that's basically what I assumed, always better to be nice, just asking really. We'll see what happens tomorrow at my appointment.
artesc

2009-04-16, 20:57

Whoo, hoo! Yet another glorious Apple service tale!

So, I went to the Genius Bar and I explained my white screen problem; I told the guy, Steven, that I had already ascertained my HDD was dead and I knew there had been some problems with the HDD's used in the MacBooks a while back. I also asked him about the chronic keyboard crack and explained how I had stripped a screwdriver trying to get the screws out. The first thing he asked if I was under warranty; I said no, and he said good, because my little green-apple-logo mod would have invalidated it (after he found out I had to take the computer apart to do it), but I think he liked it more than anything. We talked a bit, he verified my HDD was dead, went to go talk to his manager, and came saying "We really aren't supposed to do this, but we're going to go ahead this time; it would have cost about $300 if you had to pay." Needless to say, I was ecstatic.

I really think it was combination of two thing.

1) I think he was relieved to be dealing with somebody that new at least a little about computers (Example: The Genius next to us looked absolutely exasperated out of his mind as he was showing some girl how to manually reset her iPod).

2) My green Apple logo seemed to be hit! Like 3 different Apple employee's asked me about it.

3) Steven and I hit it off.

In any case, the Macbook is fixed, brand new keyboard, palmrest, HDD and fresh install of the latest Leopard updates. All in all, a marvelous experience. And I didn't even have Apple Care.

artesc all the way!

Last edited by artesc : 2009-04-17 at 00:33.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-04-16, 21:00

Quote:
Be nice, ask nicely.

That's what Dalton says. Applies to all areas of life.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-04-16, 21:14

Wow, I can't believe I've never seen that gem.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-04-16, 21:30

Quote:
Dalton: If somebody gets in your face and calls you a cocksucker, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won't walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you, and you'll both be nice. I want you to remember that it's a job. It's nothing personal.
http://www.quotes.net/mquotes/D/12
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-16, 22:38

That's actually the movie that came to mind. Now that I'm working retail I have to remind myself this all the time.

Great news on the Apple Store taking care of you! That really is awesome.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-04-16, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
I have heard stories of MacBook HDs going bad, and being replaced by Apple (even out of warranty) because it's a "known issue".

So, perhaps it might not hurt to run this by the Genius Bar...

Seriously, though... good job with the Be Nice method.
artesc

2009-04-17, 00:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post

Seriously, though... good job with the Be Nice method.
So that's where I heard that there had been problems with HDD's failing in the past...
Thanks though, your advice, everyone's advice, worked to a T.
artesc

2009-04-17, 23:36

Fucking Shit.

So, the laptop was fixed and everything and I was riding my bike to my girlfriend's dorm with it in my backpack. A goddamn taxi hit me and now I think my right middle finger is broken and the laptop's screen is broken. I know its just the screen because half of the desktop shows and the rest is just black and white, cracked mess.

Of course, the taxi took off like a fucking coward and I couldn't get any info.

So back to the apple store I go to see how much it would cost to get the screen repaired...I'm guessing, not cheap. Anybody have any experience with how much I'm looking at?

We really cannot afford a new computer right now so I'm thinking I'm going to order a screen online for like $90 and try and fix it myself...anybody have any experience doing this?

Ok, sorry for the rant.

artesc all the way!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-18, 01:15

Holy Crap! I'm sorry to hear you got hit. I'm glad you're (mostly) alright though.

They (Apple) do have a flat rate fix fee, but it doesn't cover screen damage. The GB here locally gives contact info for a third party to do it and it's about $500 from what I heard though I don't know for sure. Your best bet is to call your GB and ask them rather than stopping by. iFixIt does have a guide and also sells the screens too. Though your best bet would be get the screen from a scrapped system to save cost.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-04-18, 04:08

Did you report the hit and run? Any other witnesses?

Many taxi companies track cabs (driver 'zone' button push/GPS/whatever).

Call the taxi company and tell them where and when you got hit... and see if they can identify a driver. Bill them.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
artesc

2009-04-28, 20:25

Well, everything has come to a slightly satisfactory conclusion...I guess. I refused to pay $650 (really? wtf?!) for Apple to replace the screen so I ordered one off'n some website and did it myself. Am I still out $150? Yeah, but at least the laptop is fixed and I feel real proud of myself...

However, my right middle and ring fingers are definitely broken (just had the x-ray today). So that's a minus.

I had no idea what cab company it was since I blacked out, so I can't call them. So that's a minus.

The frame of the laptop was slightly bent from the impact and the top does not sit perfectly flush with the bottom. So that's a minus.

On the other hand, I didn't hit my head (which would have been bad). So that's a plus.

Hmm. All in all, I guess it could have been worse. Lesson to everyone, do not get hit by taxis while carrying laptops in your backpack. If you must get hit by taxis, leave the laptop at home, you will save yourself lots of money.

artesc all the way!