User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

address bar behavior change in Firefox

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
address bar behavior change in Firefox
Lyngo

2005-12-14, 22:41

Hey everyone, I am using Firefox and just downloaded the latest version of it. On the older version, I use to click on the address bar and it would highlight the entire address to delete in order to type in a new address to surf to. Now, to replace the entire text I have to click on it three times to highlight the entire thing. I have looked through the preferences and have tried to switch it back the old way of being able to click once in the space and it would highlight it all. How, if it is possible, do I change it to the old way it once was?

- Jay
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-14, 22:44

1. Tech support issues belong in the Genius Bar.
2. Please do not give threads ambiguous and nondescript titles.

Moving and renaming.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-14, 22:45

You can:
1) Click on the icon to the left of the text field. It marks the entire text field.
2) Click on the text field, then press Cmd-A, as it should be with any text field in OS X.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-14, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyngo
On the older version, I use to click on the address bar and it would highlight the entire address to delete in order to type in a new address to surf to. Now, to replace the entire text I have to click on it three times to highlight the entire thing.
3. FINALLY. This is the correct way on Mac OS X. Previously, Firefox was doing this (like so many other things) the wrong way. I have no idea if you can change it, but I personally welcome the new way with open arms.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Lyngo

2005-12-14, 22:47

Brad -

My apologies, I thought this was a tech question. Well... a software tech question, so I thought this was the best forum. Again, sorry for the inconvenience. Out of curiosity, what would be a better title without explaining the whole problem within the title?

- Jay

EDIT: P.S. Thanks chucker!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-14, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyngo
Out of curiosity, what would be a better title without explaining the whole problem within the title?
Well, he already changed the title to something better. You could have put, for example, "Firefox 1.5: Confusing address bar text field behaviour".
Lyngo

2005-12-14, 22:50

chucker:

I guess so, l guess we all live and learn eh?

- Jay