AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Un(Official) Home Theater Purchasing Advice Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Un(Official) Home Theater Purchasing Advice Thread
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-12-17, 11:22

I need to buy a new record player because mine has crapped out on me. Any suggestions? I'm trying to keep it between $100-200 if possible. Don't mind buying from eBay either.

There's nothing better then relaxing listening to some vinyl.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-12-17, 11:51

Interesting you brought that up Yontsey.

Do you listen to older stuff or can you get new music on vinyl as well?

My dad wanted to throw out his record player a few years ago, but I made him save it because I wanted it.

I'd like to hook it up to some speakers eventually, but I don't have the room right now.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-12-17, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Interesting you brought that up Yontsey.

Do you listen to older stuff or can you get new music on vinyl as well?

My dad wanted to throw out his record player a few years ago, but I made him save it because I wanted it.

I'd like to hook it up to some speakers eventually, but I don't have the room right now.
I listen to a lot of older stuff on vinyl (ie: Doors, Floyd, The Who, Bad Company, Beatles, ect) but I also have a bunch of vinyls from new pop and punk bands (ie: NOFX, Thrice, AFI, Paramore, Panic at the Disco, Brand New ect).

@yontsey
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-12-17, 12:05

Wow, I just looked on Amazon, and there are a lot of current artists releasing things on vinyl.

Guess I'll be making a trip to my parents' house this weekend to see what I need to get that record player hooked up.

Thanks for bringing this up Yontsey.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-12-17, 12:10

If you're into some of the newer artists I mentioned, check out www.interpunk.com They have a huge selection of LP's there.

A lot of bands now-a-days are starting to release their records on vinyl and it's great.

Typically to hook up a record player, all I do is just run it through my home theater. It's basically just a R/L input.

@yontsey
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-12-17, 16:07

How are Denon's LP players? I know they make good receivers and their stuff is usually good quality.

I found a simple one for $150 from Crutchfield, but $125 on eBay so I may pick it up.

@yontsey
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2008-12-17, 23:56

A few artists this year released LPs with a voucher inside for a download which is a pretty terrific scheme. You can find a ton of Vinyl on Amazon. Best Buy brings in major stuff on wax, if it gets issued.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Matsu
Veteran Member

2008-12-19, 09:24

I may be too old, or not old enough, but isn't the line output of a record player a different level than your typical a/v input, such that most recievers had a specific "phono" input way back when?

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-12-19, 09:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I may be too old, or not old enough, but isn't the line output of a record player a different level than your typical a/v input, such that most recievers had a specific "phono" input way back when?
Yeah, they still do. It's like a pre-amp. Some record players have built in pre-amps so it doesnt matter which input you put it in.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-03-16, 12:19

I'm having a semi-problem. I recently installed all new in-ceiling speakers in my living room. Prior to that, I had the receiver and different speakers set up in another room but still had 7.1 surround. I was able to turn up the receiver as loud as I wanted (usually had it around 50, which is pretty loud on a Sony).

Now with my new setup, I have to keep it around 35 or the receiver kicks off and says "Protect", which I'm guessing it means it's over powering and it's shutting down before it fries itself.

One thing I do have is 2 center channels hooked up and running into the one center output. Could that be the culprit or is the receiver just not powerful enough. The receiver itself is only about a year or two old and is made for 7.1 and does around 110wx7 so I was thinking that it should have plenty of juice.

What are your thoughts? Is it the center channel setup I got going or is there something I can get to run with the receiver to boost it a little bit or am I just going to have to buy a top notch receiver in the future? My initial thought is the receiver should have enough power for this.

@yontsey
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2010-03-18, 19:00

You're probably running the two centers in parallel, which effectively cuts the impedance in half. This low impedance can cause your receiver to become too hot and damaged. Most receivers have protection built-in when it detects an issue, so that's why your receiver is shutting down. FYI, this could also ruin your speakers if the receiver doesn't shut down but instead clips the loud volumes, which could ruin the drivers.

One option is to wire the two centers in series, but this would probably decrease the output of each center channel and/or affect the sound negatively.

You should check the manual of your receiver and speakers. If your receiver can handle a 4 Ohm load, and your speakers are 8 Ohm each, the way you have it should be fine. If it's any other way (receiver can only handle 8 Ohm and/or the speakers are less than 8 Ohm each) you shouldn't run it that way since you can damage your receiver and/or speakers.

some info: http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html (it's for car audio, but it's all the same)
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2013-03-16, 11:56

I'm in the market for a new HDTV. I'm going to go with either a 60in or a 65in. I have been looking into Samsungs. I don't really need the 3D or the smart TV options because I have an AppleTV and all that jazz. My question was, is there a significant difference between 120hz and 240hz? I know for sports and such, there's a huge difference 60hz and 120hz but I'm not too familiar with 240hz. Any help would be appreciated. Also, if you have suggestions or recommendations, feel free to offer.

@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-03-17, 09:59

I'm in the market too, though I'm likely going to wait it out until Super Bowl sale times. Seems that is the best pricing for them. My 55" just died yesterday. It was a gift and we used it well. Now we are looking at a 32" and it's so small in comparison.

Samsung is the brand that seems to draw me in the most. No definitives yet though since I have a little bit more time.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2013-03-17, 12:15

I'm planning on picking up this Samsung. My uncle bought 3 of the 60" models of this same tv and they're beautiful. The best part is it's just the TV. No Smart features or 3D. I have no need for that stuff since I have an AppleTV and video game systems.

@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-03-17, 16:22

That does look like a nice model, however it doesn't have enough inputs for me. I need 3 HDMI, Component and two composites at least. Sure I could do a switcher or something but I just don't want to mess with that extra stuff.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2013-03-17, 17:34

I picked it up. I have been using a switch and its no issue.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-03-17, 19:47

Then that is a great deal for you. I've thought about a projector for my house, but I think there is way too much sun in that room it would go in. No real way to block the sun either since there are a few skyligfhts in there.

Maybe I should buy a good receiver and then be able to make the changes through it instead. So many options....

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2015-11-12, 21:24

*badabump*

So I have a nice receiver, a nice display, and even have a Bose Acoustimass 5.1 speaker set. Old, but still works nicely.

I've planned on running cables under the floor, up inside the walls, etc, but man the more I look at it the worse it gets.

Are there *any* decent wireless 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setups that don't cost a fortune? The setup is a bit wonky to start with, TV is in one room, receiver in another, and there's a huge stone fireplace between the rooms. I ran the TV cables (HDMI, power) and gaming cables (Wii, Kinect) between the rooms by finding a spot of wall I could drill through, but I'd rather not add to the bundle too much.

I'd settle for a cable bundle under the floor to a subwoofer unit under the couch that transmits the other channels to small mountable speakers with good sound.

Anything?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-12, 21:49

Sonos and others I'm sure are the only thing I've seen close to what you are looking for minus the price.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-01-25, 18:09

I’ve been thinking about picking up a new surround theater and upgrading my setup to Dolby Atmos. My current receiver is probably a solid 10+ years old but I have a recently purchased Samsung 4K QLED, in-ceiling 7.1 surround and an AppleTV 4K. Does anyone have experience with Atmos and is it worth it? I’ve seen some Denon receivers on Crutchfield that I’ve been eyeing up.