Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Chance of powerbooks at WWDC?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Chance of powerbooks at WWDC?
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2005-05-12, 15:10

Here we go......haven't had one of these in a while.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-05-12, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
3.6 GPA bitches!
Summa Cum Laude :smokey:
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-05-12, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709

Here we go......haven't had one of these in a while.
train wrecks really aren't a laughing matter. do you have a number on the injuries involved in the one you picture?

especially since only a week ago there was an extremely deadly train wreck in japan.
¡Damned!

2005-05-12, 19:48

C'mon 'nut. You trying to goad me into something? You knew exactly what I meant.

Whatever. It seems that Chris wasn't up to it. Carry on.

So it goes.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-05-12, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709

C'mon 'nut. You trying to goad me into something? You knew exactly what I meant.

Whatever. It seems that Chris wasn't up to it. Carry on.

sorry, i was half joking. i really am a train nut as well, kind of pulls at my heart so see one in distress.

back on topic,
no powerbooks at WWDC. It is clear Apple has no where to go with their professional lines at this point in time. The processor technology is not here yet
CobaltFire

Send a message via AIM to CobaltFire  
2005-05-12, 20:50

That really is too bad. G4's are a good processor, but i won't be buying another PowerBook until they get a 64-bit processor with some better video hardware in there. I guess my Rev A 15" will keep on truckin' till then. I hope they get the thermal issues worked out soon.
ChrisKelvin

2005-05-13, 12:39

did anybody notice that the pb and ib pages in the hardware section of apples webside do still mention arduously panther as "serious software".

but hey i should preoccupy myself less. maybe it doesn't say anything that they didn't update this pages for the big tiger-hype
unixguru

2005-05-17, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut

sorry, i was half joking. i really am a train nut as well, kind of pulls at my heart so see one in distress.

back on topic,
no powerbooks at WWDC. It is clear Apple has no where to go with their professional lines at this point in time. The processor technology is not here yet
So what wreck was this? Looks to be a bit dated considering the paint scheme on that GE Genesis.
jbloodwo

2005-05-17, 22:52

from the URL of the photo i would say 1997 and somwhere in NV
http://www.reviewjournal.com
/lvrj_home/1997/Aug-10-Sun-1997/photos/derail2.jpg
<edit>
No one died but many passengers suffered injuries when an Amtrak train traveling from Los Angeles to Chicago derailed about 5 a.m. Saturday outside of Kingman, Ariz. Officials are investigating the possibility that floodwaters weakened a wooden trestle under the tracks, causing the accident.
More photos: Click here for more photos, a map and an index to our coverage of the train derailment.Photo by Clint Karlsen.
</edit>

12" PowerBook (1.5Ghz 512 meg combo)
3g iPod (15 gig)
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-05-17, 23:10

How's that for irony? A train wreck pic derailing a thread.
Alexia

Send a message via AIM to Alexia  
2005-05-19, 01:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by error406
Ditto. I don't need a faster CPU, it's just that I don't want to pay today's price for yesterday's CPU....

Because it's ridiculously outdated. It's a joke. Much cheaper notebooks have much brighter screens in a much higher resolution. It's really embarrasing if you see my beautiful Powerbook side by side with some cheap ugly Wintel-notebook, because the first thing anybody notices is how dim and low-res the Powerbook screen is. My Asus (yes, build by Asustek themselves) W1N notebook does a bright and colorful 1680x1050 on the same size widescreen. It just makes the PB look very, very old.
My 15.4" Dell Inspiron XPS is freaking 1920x1200. That was as of early 2004. That is why I didn't get a Powerbook then.

I'm hoping for an update to the Powerbook, but at least the iBook. I just can't find anything comparable to the Powerbook/iBook 12" in the terms of quality, aesthetics, and price. Everything else that is more powerful from an Intel solution looks like a piece of poo even compared to my current Dell laptop.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-05-19, 10:55

if you think HD screens will make it hard to see the roman alphabet you can be sure that it will make chinese and japanese characters tiny. I wish there was a way to increase the size of the chinese character selection popups
CobaltFire

Send a message via AIM to CobaltFire  
2005-05-19, 13:45

Knolwing Apple, they will scale the text automatically once it detects the screen... Or so we can hope.
Roland

2005-05-24, 17:05

nothing important to say except that I really hope we'll see G5 Powerbooks in 2 weeks. I am dying to switch over to apple, but I can't justify buying a Powermac when I have a pretty darn good pc. And since I want to get into Apple because of the great software (logic, motion, final cut and so) it would be pretty useless to get a g4 powerbook if it can't even run motion or can't handle more than 4 vst instruments + 4 vst effects in logic.

what a shame

Last edited by Roland : 2005-05-24 at 17:16.
iDaver

2005-05-25, 09:52

If G5 PowerBooks were close, I think we would have heard rumbling about progress at IBM on low-power chips. I haven't heard anything lately. I seem to have heard more about Freescale's progress with G4s. Isn't it likely that's what the next bump will be?
gar

2005-05-31, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
nothing important to say except that I really hope we'll see G5 Powerbooks in 2 weeks. I am dying to switch over to apple, but I can't justify buying a Powermac when I have a pretty darn good pc. And since I want to get into Apple because of the great software (logic, motion, final cut and so) it would be pretty useless to get a g4 powerbook if it can't even run motion or can't handle more than 4 vst instruments + 4 vst effects in logic.

what a shame
you know that the great software you mentioned exceeds the price of a powerbook or a midpriced G5tower. can you justify this $ 5,000 + switch? G5 or not.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-05-31, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
How's that for irony? A train wreck pic derailing a thread.
Today's a day for "Galgenhumor" (gallows humor) but you cheering me up Tor.
Roland

2005-05-31, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gar
you know that the great software you mentioned exceeds the price of a powerbook or a midpriced G5tower. can you justify this $ 5,000 + switch? G5 or not.
well the express versions aren't that expensive and I think they'll do just fine.
that's 600 euros minus edu and I won't buy them all at once.

but thanks for caring so much
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-05-31, 15:48

I ask why it would be so impossible for Apple to release a PowerBook G5, one week from today? A lot of people were not believing that Apple would ship an iMac G5 in September, when they did; even with Jobs a no-go for the Paris Keynote. Back then, it was about 50/50 about whether the next iMac would be a G4 or G5. It turned out to be a G5, as we all know, and better than most had expected.

I think we'll finally see the "mother of all thermal challenges" be solved, one week from today.

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2005-05-31 at 15:56.
c-choox

2005-06-01, 05:08

On the subject of laptop screens, how close do Apple laptops stick to the Apple mantra of 72dpi?

I know that the 12" and 14" ibooks have the same resolution, so obviously not that close.

Still, do you think it's a design decision to stay with lower res screens, or just neglect.

I for one find very hi-res laptop screens rather hard to read...

Then again, I'm probably just an old geezer :smokey:
Dave Hagan

2005-06-01, 05:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
I ask why it would be so impossible for Apple to release a PowerBook G5, one week from today? A lot of people were not believing that Apple would ship an iMac G5 in September...
And when you really think of it, that iMac g5 was supposed to be announced at the WWDC last year with the new Apple displays and we all remember what happened. As a matter of fact, everyone would have been taken by surprise with a G5 in an iMac, and its form factor, had everything gone according to plan. I don't think any of the rumor sites knew what was going on until well after the iMac delay.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-06-01, 06:25

@c-chook
Most Apple screens are close to 100 dpi at the moment. Apple themselves have concluded this is the sweet spot until a fully resolution independent UI has been created.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-06-01, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hagan
And when you really think of it, that iMac g5 was supposed to be announced at the WWDC last year with the new Apple displays and we all remember what happened. As a matter of fact, everyone would have been taken by surprise with a G5 in an iMac, and its form factor, had everything gone according to plan. I don't think any of the rumor sites knew what was going on until well after the iMac delay.
Good point. I just don't think anyone should write off the PowerBook G5 so quickly, based on what, the register or the digi times? lol

I think it's hard to go against the rumor sites these days but if you think about how much of the time they are wrong, and how many times in the past they have missed monumental product introductions (iPod), it's pathetic.
macdad

2005-06-02, 03:45

Back to the PB hoped-for upgrade and screen resolution issue: God, I am HOPING Apple will update these things! Dell offers their 15" notebooks at 3 screen resolutions - up to 1920x1280 pixels! If Apple can't offer a major update to the processor, they could at least bump up the screen to 1680x1050? Even the 17" PB is limited to 1440x900. I'm in the market to get a new PB now, but I'm not blowing my cash on something that's already a year outdated. I'll wait it out - but hopefully I'll only need to wait another week!
greenhybrid

2005-06-02, 18:41

How soon do products come out after they're announced at a conference like this? Shipping date, I mean.
Dave Hagan

2005-06-02, 19:19

It depends. Sometimes it's two weeks, sometimes like the G5s, it's 6 to 8 weeks or longer.