Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Bass guitar advice

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Bass guitar advice
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-07-28, 22:04

I'm in the market for a new bass. I'm in the preliminary stages of buying right now so I'm looking for some advice. I haven't yet decided if I want to get another electric bass or an acoustic bass (not an upright).

I play a Hammer electric bass now that I love. I'm not sure the model or anything, but it's a sort of dark orange color, almost red but not quite. It's a 4 string. I also play guitar, my favorite guitar is the Seagull. I have the SM-6. It's a phenominal guitar, I can't get enough of playing it. I also own two other electrics, one of which isn't worth mentioning and the other is sweet hollow body that I can't think of the name of for the life of me and I don't feel like running around looking for it.

So back on topic. What I'm looking for is advice (I'm looking at you Wrao and Bassplayinmacfiend ). I want a good bass, electric would be best because the more I think about it the more I realize I have no practical use for an acoustic bass. Most employees in instrument shops are borderline retarded and are of absolutely no help at all because all they want to do is sell me the most expensive (but not necessarily best) stuff they have. In my experience high price doesn't equal quality.

So help me out guys, anyone who knows a thing or two about basses or guitars. Help me find a relatively inexpensive, yet good bass. Thanks a lot

Come waste your time with me
Wrao
Yarp

2005-07-28, 22:17

well... Just goto the store, play a bunch and buy the one you like. If it's out of your budget, either save up or get one you liked that is within your budget. Personally, I've been kind of wanting to get a musicman to be my beat around bass.
Hassan i Sabbah

2005-07-29, 05:42

I had a Musicman. A beast: you could smack the shit out of it. Funky. I found the neck too wide. My ideal bass would be a souped-up Fender Jazz or a Warwick.

gibberish
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-07-29, 10:16

For the last fifteen years my rather cheap Status-graphite has served me extremely well. The instrument simply doesn't detune or lose intonation and it has seen many stages in- and outdoors. You should be able to pick one up second hand and in a good condition for about € 600,- Wouldn't know about US-prices though.
Personally, sound wise, I would like to have a stingray as well. But they are a tad or two above my budget right now.

Still my instrument is more allround and with my nice Eden-amp I have a pretty massive funky sound.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-07-29, 10:20

always used fender...still have my orginal...from 1979...still plays great

g
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-07-29, 10:48

Yeah, fender takes my bet too. I also recommend going to the store. But don't necessarily go to the larger stores, hit the "mom and pop" businesses. In my experiences, those mom and pop business were A LOT more help and willing to work with you so that you'll be satisfied. Hope that helps
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-07-29, 12:31

Check into the Fender stuff...the Mexican-made models and so forth. Appear to be, in quality and price, comfortably perched between the Korean-made lower-end stuff and the more price-y American models.

Years ago, when I worked at a guitar store and actually kept up with this stuff, we always sold tons of Fender "Made in Mexico" Strats and Teles, and got good feedback.

I assume there are Precision and Jazz basses from their plant there, as well?

Check fender.com

Epiphone, from Gibson, has some stuff too. When you say "rather inexpensive", what's your ballpark, number-wise? Some people's "inexpensive" is $250, while others have a higher ceiling...

I've always played Jazz basses, even putting my own together from Warmoth years ago (baby blue, pearloid pickguard...you'd weep if you saw how pretty it was).

My last bass was a Jerry Jones white single cutaway with lipstick tube pickups and a hollow body...sounded just like McCartney's Hofner, and that's how I used it! Put flatwounds on it and happily thumped away...

Like a dork, I eBay'ed it 18 months ago...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-07-29 at 12:34.
Hassan i Sabbah

2005-07-29, 13:19

Oh, didn't say: I now have a Precision copy by some company you've never heard of. (Sold my Stingray about seven years ago in order to buy food when I was doing my post-grad!) It's reasonably splankalogical but more difficult to get an elegant tone. My best ever bass was a Korean Fender Jazz. Lovely.

gibberish
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-07-29, 14:06

Funny everyone mentions MusicMan. I have a 4 string Bongo and am currently selling some music equipment to raise cash and make room for a Stingray. Not sure whether I'll go 4 or 5 string yet but I do know it'll be a natural/maple model. Since EBMM introduced their new models last week I'm not sure if I'll go with the classic single pickup model, dual humbucker or hummer/single coil model. Decisions decisions....

Like other people have said, your best bet is to hit a bunch of music stores. Play everything you can get your hands on. Pick the ones that just feel right and make you feel giddy while playing them. If you need to, go blindfolded and have a friend bring you the basses to play so you aren't prejudiced by the name on the headstock.

If you do decide to go with Fender, play all the Fenders you can get your hands on. Fender quality is all over the place. Out of 20 basses you'll get a couple of complete turds, a whole bunch of meh, and the one that came from God's own workshop, made for your hands only.

You are lucky in that you're in Chi-town so there should be tons of stores to check out. You might also want to stop at the Lakland factory (pronounced Lake-land) and check out their instruments. They are very highly regarded and have an affordable Korean line of instruments. www.lakland.com

Of course, you could always log onto TalkBass.com and get more suggestions than you ever imagined. You could also get an idea of which music shops might be the best place to get a good deal.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-07-29, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
Of course, you could always log onto TalkBass.com and get more suggestions than you ever imagined. You could also get an idea of which music shops might be the best place to get a good deal.

First rule...
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-07-29, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
First rule...
You never replied, oh great moderator, I thought you missed that.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-07-29, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
You never replied, oh great moderator, I thought you missed that.

We see, only what we are meant to see.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-07-29, 15:35

Hey, since we're talking about basses, why not I use this is an opportunity to show off how good my bass sounds

Victor Wooten's "The vision"(played poorly by me, but man it sounds nice)
midwinter

Send a message via ICQ to midwinter Send a message via AIM to midwinter  
2005-07-30, 22:41

I like my fretless Fender Jazz bass.
¡Damned!

2005-07-30, 22:47

Whatever. You need to start talking about whores over here *pronto*.
midwinter

Send a message via ICQ to midwinter Send a message via AIM to midwinter  
2005-07-30, 22:52

Dammit. Stupid sexy whores. I can't get away from them.
¡Damned!

2005-07-30, 22:55

Sorry. I couldn't resist.
johnny5w

2005-07-31, 10:00

You can never go wrong with an American made P bass.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2005-08-02, 00:29

The Fender P-Bass is the standard (I think). I'd probably start there if I were you. FWIW, I've got a Schecter guitar and love it.