User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Display DNS Cache?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Display DNS Cache?
sailships

2006-03-21, 17:47

I know how to clear the DNS cache, but...

Is there a way in Mac OSX to have the DNS cache *displayed*, as there is in Windows? (ipconfig /displaydns)

I realize it may be with the "lookupd" command, however, I have accessed the "man lookupd" (or the BSD System Manager's Manual lookupd).

I find subtitles that I think may apply to me, however, either it doesnt include the actual command, or I am missing it as a result of being new to Mac's.

Hence, my request to someone with more experience than I.

Any idea's? Or is it even possible?

Last edited by sailships : 2006-03-22 at 08:56.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-21, 23:55

1. It's Mac, not MAC. "Mac" is short for Macintosh. "MAC" is an acronym for media access control, machine access code, or message authentication code, but not Macintosh.

2. Run "lookupd -d" in the Terminal window to get a special prompt. Then, enter the command "allHosts" to show details. Enter the command "exit" to return to your shell.

update: Err, scratch that. This only shows hosts stored locally as in your /etc/hosts file.
update 2: Sorry, I couldn't find anything else. Hopefully someone else can help.

3. Welcome to AppleNova.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
sailships

2006-03-22, 08:58

Thanks for the reply Brad!

Sorry about the infraction...
Thank goodness for the edit button!