User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

The "check this cool shit out" thread: software version.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The "check this cool shit out" thread: software version.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-11-06, 16:29

I just came across, no idea how old it is, but holy shit is it making Safari faster for me. Like night-and-day faster.

http://www.scifience.com/order/downl...afariSpeed.tar

I used to be able to take a drink of my beer after clicking a new page here... now there is no where near enough time. This app could save me hundreds of dollars a year in beer costs.

Try it out.

Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2004-11-06, 16:37

I took a look inside the package contents, and it looks like the functional part of it is:

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay 0.000001

You could simply type this into the terminal and completely skip the download/install. It does exactly the same thing.

To uninstall, simply type

defaults delete com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay

Edit: Holy Sh!t. This thing is Firefox-fast. Really! Now I don't need to make the choice between beauty or speed. You're the Greatest Murray.

Last edited by Majost : 2004-11-06 at 16:43.
stoo

2004-11-06, 16:38

Freespace 2 was a fantastic but ridiculously undermarketed space shooter, released in 1999. The source code was released a while ago, and there's now a Mac OS X Freespace 2 port. (You'll need a copy of the original PC version for the data files).

Even cooler, if you don't have a copy of the game the end user licence agreement permits the distribution copies, as long as you don't make any money from it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-06, 17:10

It should be pointed out that Murray's fix only helps if:
  1. You have a fast internet connection.
  2. You have a relatively recent, fact Mac.
The page delay is implemented for good reason. By waiting briefly before displaying the rendered page, you usually actually present the final page faster by requiring fewer layout adjustments and redraws. Statistically, this proves to be the case because so many people are not on brand new Macs and don't have cable or DSL.

Just so you know.

'cuz knowing is half the battle...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-11-06, 17:26

Thanks, Snake Eyes. You've been itching to use that logo, haven't you?

This is the same sort of option I think either IE or Netscape gave you. As Brad says, rendering the page at once has a net speed gain for most, but the perception of speed can be greater with murbot's link.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-11-06, 17:28

Yeah, I'll take the perception of blazing speed over actual speed that seems fucking slow, thanks.

It quite literally makes surfing this site twice as fast for me. But it's actually not faster. But whatever, Brad.

rampancy

2004-11-06, 23:50

Ah yes, Freespace 2. I'm sticking kicking myself for not grabbing that Freespace/Freespace Expansion/Freespace 2/Freespace 2 expansion combo pack when I had the chance.

Unfortunately, you can't distribute copies of the game anymore, since Interplay recently reissued the game in a limited-edition fashion, available only online.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
stoo

2004-11-07, 18:01

Doesn't the original EULA still stand? It doesn't look like Interplay has any online presence any more. (Nasdaq: IPLY changed to IPLY.OB; Out of Business?)

It's still up at Home of the Underdogs, but without the movies. (HotU take abandonware links down if asked by the copyright owner.)
rampancy

2004-11-07, 23:26

There was a server based out of Quebec that was up that hosted the movies and hi-res graphics for the game; it was asked by Interplay to cease after the Limited Edition re-issue was brought out (and from that I had the impression that HotU took their links off too -- I guess I was wrong). Pity, because AFAIK, it was the only place that had those files.

Here is a forum post that pretty much told it like it was. $50 bucks...ouch. And check out the price for the FS 2 rerelease on Amazon...$134!?

The last time I payed anything even close to that for a computer game was for the coveted Marathon Trilogy Box Set back in '98.

[EDIT]: Whoa...I was totally, totally wrong...links to missing HotU files here and here. Halleluia!

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by rampancy : 2004-11-07 at 23:33.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-11-08, 18:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost
I took a look inside the package contents, and it looks like the functional part of it is:

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay 0.000001

You could simply type this into the terminal and completely skip the download/install. It does exactly the same thing.

To uninstall, simply type

defaults delete com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay

Edit: Holy Sh!t. This thing is Firefox-fast. Really! Now I don't need to make the choice between beauty or speed. You're the Greatest Murray.
Can this be edited to produce the same results for OmniWeb/Camino? Thanks
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-08, 19:28

I think before you go running off to change the delay in all of your browsers, you should read about it from the horse's mouth, from Dave Hyatt, one of the lead Safari developers at Apple and former leader of the Camino project. You don't get much better than that for sources!

Testing Page Load Speed

You'll find some answers regarding Camino in there too.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-11-09, 22:23

So what I want to know is; is this going to hurt my computer or Safari? I have a 12" PB Rev. C and a 500kbps cable connection.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-09, 22:51

It won't hurt anything. It might make it slower, but there will not be any permanent damage.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-11-15, 00:07

I just found this little gem on MacUpdate: movie showtimes on your iPod.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15811

That is one of the coolest things I've seen for iPod.