Apple Watch
Page 9 of 11 First Previous 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11  Next Thread Tools
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2015-05-29, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I just ordered a 42mm grey sport. Shipping times seem to be improving - a few weeks ago, it was delivering in July, but mine is coming between June 19 and 25. I can't wait to try it out. I think I'll spend a lot less time on my phone once I have it.
I spend a lot less time on my phone.

But it's weird, I don't think I spend much time using the watch either.

However, it has been very interesting to me how much ruder glancing at your watch can be perceived than looking at your phone.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2015-05-29, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
I spend a lot less time on my phone.

But it's weird, I don't think I spend much time using the watch either.
This is exactly what I'm hoping for. I think a lot of the time we spend on our phones is just idle bullshit after unlocking to read something that got our attention from a notification. I don't expect to have much interest in that on a 42mm screen.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-05-29, 13:03

Congrats on your new Watch Wyatt! I hope you love it as much as I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
However, it has been very interesting to me how much ruder glancing at your watch can be perceived than looking at your phone.
I also spend less time on both my phone and my Watch total. Not just less on my phone.

Your last sentence though it the really key to personal communication I've noticed. More than once I've gotten a notice on my watch and glanced at it while with a friend. They almost always say something about we have more time available or asked if I need to be somewhere. Given I haven't worn a watch in years I'm not used to the key indicator that you're wasting someone's time; look at your watch.

I'm now forcing myself not to look at my watch when I'm engaged with someone so they don't think I'm being rude. Though, I guess I really am being rude. There are times where I intentionally leave the volume on the Watch notifications as high as possible so the other party hears the notice and gets the message I need to tend to it. When I have it silenced (because I'm not that asshat who thinks the world needs to hear my ringtone) is when I see others think I'm being more rude since they don't know I'm getting or responding to a notification of some sort.

For my geekier friends I use a notice as a segue to showing off my Watch.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2015-05-29, 13:43

Quick question to current watch owners: Can you set custom vibration patterns like you can on the iPhone? Maybe through the Watch app on the phone?
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-05-29, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Quick question to current watch owners: Can you set custom vibration patterns like you can on the iPhone? Maybe through the Watch app on the phone?
You cannot. There's three strength settings for the tap and one additional option to give you another tap for 'important' notifications.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2015-05-30, 08:20

That's a bummer. Seems like an obvious feature to me, since the phones have it. Maybe in the next version of Watch OS.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-06-02, 17:21

I don't know how noticeable it would be. I don't tend to notice the taps as much as I thought I would. Certainly not enough to notice a short pattern and that is what the Watch gives. I mean, I might like it if I had it but I just don't typically set custom tones or vibrations anyway.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-06-05, 04:33

Still of the opinion that anyone with a wrist >150mm should go with the 42mm. My 160mm wrist below.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-06-09, 17:43

Have any of you runners out there done the "calibrate your Watch" thing of running with the phone a few times and then leaving the phone behind and only running with the Watch? I'm curious of how accurate the tracking is and i that really makes it more viable than I have the impression of when tracking without a phone for location services.

I have no plans to take up running, just wondering since it was a topic to come of recently.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-06-09, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Have any of you runners out there done the "calibrate your Watch" thing of running with the phone a few times and then leaving the phone behind and only running with the Watch? I'm curious of how accurate the tracking is and i that really makes it more viable than I have the impression of when tracking without a phone for location services.

I have no plans to take up running, just wondering since it was a topic to come of recently.
I haven't because of previous bad experiences with relying on the accelerometer for distance and speed. Probably unfair to the watch but I just don't think it can ever be as accurate.

That, and I like having the GPS map of where I have run/biked.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-06-10, 01:09

If you wouldn't mind, leave the phone home one time and just get a rough idea of how far off it is? I'm like you about the maps though. Mine are on a bike or walking though. I can try it with walking, but that will be after it learns me again since I had to reset my Watch today.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-06-10, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
If you wouldn't mind, leave the phone home one time and just get a rough idea of how far off it is? I'm like you about the maps though. Mine are on a bike or walking though. I can try it with walking, but that will be after it learns me again since I had to reset my Watch today.
Will do.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2015-06-12, 14:03

I got my watch today! I got it about 3.5 hours ago, and it took almost 2 hours to install the watch OS 2 beta. So mostly I've watched it update. Leaving my office in about an hour, and I'm looking forward to some real-world testing over the weekend.

Coming from a fitbit, even the sport watch feels a little heavy. I'm glad I didn't get a steel one.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2015-06-15, 09:22

GF and I got our matching 42mm Space Black Sport models this week!

Ordered May 17.
Original ship date was 'July', then June 17... Arrived June 10.

We're both absolutely loving them so far.

We both "switched" from Pebble (me since Xmas 2013... her since Xmas 2014).

Battery life has been excellent so far (not 6+ days on Pebble, sure... but as yet we've still got plenty left in reserve at the end of each day). Charging time has been equally impressive, as well.

Aside from battery life, the screens, the feature set, and apps on the Apple watch are in another league, and seem to outperform Pebble in every area I've tested:
  • Notifications are superior (and controlled with far more granularity)
  • Accelerometer/pedometer functions are superior (and integrated with Health App far more seamlessly, natch)
  • Vibrations and Haptic feedback are superior (stronger sensation, greater spectrum of possible pressure, and from Heartbeat to user tap transmission both more customisable and more intimate)
  • Public curiosity/inquiries are superior (with Pebble it was "what's that? What's it do? {after demo, cue mild interest}" ... Now it's "is that the iWatch? Looks gorgeous. What's it do? {after demo, cue technolust/purchase plans}" )

One of the biggest surprises was the very first thing we noticed... packing and packaging size.

Of course nobody can compare to Apple in the artistry and elegance of its packaging. The 'unboxing experience' was practically defined by our favourite Fruit designers. Even before I had got to the juicy technology at the centre of the paper and plastic wrapping, I caught myself saying "Niiiice!" at some of the efficiency of simple 'pull here' minimalist arrows that led deeper into the packaging, and the clever origami unfolding of the prongs on the UK plug.

(I took some unboxing shots, but in hindsight could have done them better... is that too fanboi-ish?)

And yet...

Pebble came in a wee box 65 x 70 x 95 mm
Apple Watch Sport box was 65 x 75 x 330 mm

Maybe subliminally choosing a more substantial box was meant to give the product extra cachet. Hmmm...

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-06-15, 17:44

Did a 7.5mi run without my phone and the watch wasn't off by more than .1mi, probably closer to .05mi.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-06-15, 23:52

Congrats on your new pair curiousuburb! It is nice to hear a comparison to the Pebble too.

Thanks Eugene! I was hoping it would be that close. Sure that isn't "outstanding" but it is pretty good given the distance you ran.

Eugene
careful with axes

2015-06-16, 01:10

Bear in mind that I am very anal about running form. I have no idea how big of a deal inconsistencies in pumping your arms or slowing down to a walking pace might affect distance calculation.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-06-17, 00:59

I'm sure it might, but it would seem that if there is enough comparative data from the phone with GPS and without the phone that it would be able to be pretty accurate. Plus, I'm sure most real runners are like you. When I was a runner I also ensured I maintained form the whole time.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-06-17, 17:20

Just reserved and picked up an Apple Watch Sport in downtown Boston in under an hour. Picked up an Apple Watch with Milanese for the GF too.

Funny how long delivery seems to be taking, yet as of today, you can just talk into a store and pick one up.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2015-06-17, 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Just reserved and picked up an Apple Watch Sport in downtown Boston in under an hour. Picked up an Apple Watch with Milanese for the GF too.

Funny how long delivery seems to be taking, yet as of today, you can just talk into a store and pick one up.
Boylston St. store? Did you see Tim Cook? I heard he was in the store this afternoon.
Quagmire
meh

2015-06-20, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Seems to be the case with the 38 mm models at least. They are available in every store. The 42 mm model is in tight supply right now.

I am a bit mad at myself right now..... There was a 42 mm Apple Watch with the black sport band available at my closest Apple Store, but I didn't go for it because preferring to get the classic buckle first. Then realized given how I am outside(ish) most of the time, the sport band will probably be the most used band to deal with the sweat( FL summer and inside aircraft). Should have picked it up.....

giggity
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-06-20, 19:14

I love my black sport band. So comfy.
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-06-20, 19:48

The 42mm is outselling the 38mm by 4-5x, and rightfully so. I think the band sizing chart is the best way to choose. If your wrist is <150mm, then you basically have to get a 38mm. Everyone else should choose the 42mm unless they really know the look they're after.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-06-20, 20:14

I've got the black sport band as well. Takes a little time to get used to after wearing a stainless steel band on my watch for 15 years, but it's nice.

Definitely looking to pick up a few other bands as well.

Just trying to figure out what would go best with the space gray aluminum.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-06-20, 21:05

I chose green because my leather band is already black and all black everything can get a little old.

I've become very adept at putting on the sport band without fumbling around. I do wish the holes were offset by half because it gets a little tight after routine daily activities.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2015-06-21, 08:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
The 42mm is outselling the 38mm by 4-5x, and rightfully so. I think the band sizing chart is the best way to choose. If your wrist is <150mm, then you basically have to get a 38mm. Everyone else should choose the 42mm unless they really know the look they're after.
My wrists are pretty small. When I first tried on my 42mm Sport Black Fluoroelastomer with the default Medium/large band, I found that even in the last hole, the fit was probably going to be just loose enough that I felt the Heart Rate sensor might not make reliable contact. Cue a quick switch (super easy - clever design) to the enclosed Small/Medium strap, and I'm comfortable in the middle (4th of 8) hole... sometimes in the one looser (5th of 8).

The fact the Sport band ships with both sizes is a bonus. For the price of some of the other bands, you'd think they'd throw in the alternative size strap.

My hands are pretty large though. I tried the Milanese loop in both its steel and leather incarnations, and while the greater customisation of fit provided by the magnetic closure may allow for better contact and comfort, I found it difficult to slide the watch over my hand. If I can squeeze my hand smaller or they increase the size of the straps by another cm or two, I would be keen to get one in this style. Awesome magnets, man.

That said... unless you have childlike arms, or are pathologically terrified by slightly larger watches, personally I struggle to see why one would sacrifice the larger screen and battery of the 42 for the fractionally smaller (4mm diagonal) face of the 38.

For some folks, I'm sure the option of "38 now... or 42 if you wait" will prove a tough choice. We had to wait for shipment anyway, so decided to get the best we could. If only the 38 was in stock at the time, the GF might have pushed to sacrifice size for instant gratification.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Quagmire
meh

2015-06-21, 21:13

Well I ran into luck and managed to pick up a 42 mm Apple Watch with the black sport band.

Now I am having a hard time choosing between getting the classic buckle or milanese loop to go along with the sport band.......

EDIT: The Milanese loop won't be here until the 6th vs the Classic Buckle being here in Wednesday. That made the decision for me. I will still get the milanese loop, but will be further down the road.

giggity
R.Williams

2015-06-24, 04:32

My mom is hands down, the best lay I've ever had. Jerry even likes to flog her taint. She also makes great toast. I like potatoes.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-06-24, 07:27

That is a horrible "review."
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-06-24, 12:14

He's a spammer. I'm not willing to give him click credit.