User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Watch Pro
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-11, 09:28

Mark Gurman is saying a Pro version of the Watch is inbound with Titanium and larger screen. Of course larger battery would find behind the larger screen too so this would be a huge plus.

The $1000 price seems really steep, but wasn't the what the high end ceramic was going for anyway? I stuck with SS on my lat Watch purchase because I felt it was a better look than the Titanium when it first came out. Oh, as a matter of fact it was close to that price as quoted below:
Quote:
Gurman repeats his predictions that this new, more expensive Apple Watch will offer the following pro features:

Larger and more shatter-resistant display
Enhanced hiking and swim tracking
Longer battery life
A heftier and more rugged case
He also believes this case will be made of a non-aluminum metal. “Probably titanium,” he explains, “given it’s much more durable than steel.”

He makes a price prediction based on the current price for the Apple Watch Edition, which is an Apple Watch Series 7 in a titanium case that starts at $849. He thinks Apple will price the new watch even higher, based on its larger display (rumored to be 50mm), additional sensors and better materials. “I wouldn’t be surprised if it starts closer to $900 to $999,” he writes.
50mm seems positively huge when thinking about my 44mm. My wrist could support 50mm, but Mrs T couldn't if she wanted to. Of course, if this comes by removing the rounded screen edge they can certainly fit more screen size in there without increasing the case much.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-07-11, 09:55

If it's rugged, I don't think "Pro" is quite the right suffix, since it's really more specialized than that. Something like "Explorer" or "Extreme" might work.

I also suspect they'll shoot for "all-week battery life".
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-11, 10:26

I would agree on this. I'm thinking the "Pro" concept comes from titanium though. However an Extreme one would be a new nomenclature Apple would have to cultivate.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-11, 10:50

Will there also be an AppleTV Pro? How about AirTags Pro? Apple Pencil Tips Pro? I'm personally waiting for the Lightning to Headphone Jack Pro.

Seriously, this "Pro" thing is getting run into the ground. Products that don't deserve the name are getting it, while those that do deserve it get misbranded as something less. Get with it, Apple!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-11, 10:53

Thinking about the branding thing for a second. If the iPhone 14 Pro gets the better processor and the non-pro sticks with the current processor then it would almost make sense that Apple would nerf the Watch by putting the newer/better stuff in a Pro version and the non-pro Watch 8 just a refresh of the 7. I could totally see that for a company run by numbers instead of ingenuity.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-11, 11:17

Personally, I don't care what they do with the hardware. What on this Earth makes a watch "Pro"?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-11, 12:21

$$$

I mean, really, marketing. Sadly if this is true it will continue to dilute the "Pro" moniker to where we all know it means more features for more money without being truly professional level.

Think of the 13" MBP. A Watch Pro will be right there in line with that from what I'm reading. It would also make the upgrade cycle on the higher end Watches double.

While I was working out I was thinking about my Watch and if I even really need it. I use mine for everything it is designed for, other than calls and those are only super rare situations where my phone just isn't near me. While I could easily go without using an Apple Watch and go back to a "traditional timepiece" I do use the functions for personal information factors. I do believe the Watch was instrumental in me going from ~200# to the ~155# I now hover around. Now that I have a routine and consistency I think I could get away without the Watch, but I might not notice certain (bad) habits creeping in.

So does the ability to track hiking and swimming matter to me? Nope. I can see some who might benefit from that, but not me. Longer battery life though, that is always a major thing. I have to charge my Watch every day. If you are charging it then you aren't using it. I had an old one I used to swap back and forth with but now I don't do that. I just go with one Watch and charge it while I'm sitting at my desk exerting little energy anyway.

I will say, I love the thought of bigger and better, but I think Pro might be a bad suffix for this new Watch.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-07-11, 14:16

Another useless watch, yay!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-12, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Another useless watch, yay!
It's extraordinarily useful to the bean-counters.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-07-12, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
It's extraordinarily useful to the bean-counters.
AND stock holders

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-07-13, 05:07

I'm probably going to bite the bullet and upgrade. My Watch 4 is showing it's age in the battery area badly.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-13, 09:36

Mrs T has a 4 and it has a horrible battery now. I'm going to do the battery swap thing Apple offers for $79 though so we have a good viable Watch still. Likely pass it down to one of the kids or something like that.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-13, 11:01

I'm gonna do the smart thing and not buy one.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-07-13, 14:19

My series 3 has helped me exercise and walk more, and it's also capable of detecting my seizures shortly before I have them. This model doens't have the fall detection of later models but that matters more for if you have grand mal types. My absence seizures are characterized by a heartrate increase at idle right before the consciousness drift, and setting it to detect that has given me alarm 1-3 minutes beforehand multiple times now.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-13, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
My series 3 has helped me exercise and walk more, and it's also capable of detecting my seizures shortly before I have them. This model doens't have the fall detection of later models but that matters more for if you have grand mal types. My absence seizures are characterized by a heartrate increase at idle right before the consciousness drift, and setting it to detect that has given me alarm 1-3 minutes beforehand multiple times now.
Sounds like Apple's health efforts are benefitting you. Perhaps the next series will offer even more?

There are scenarios where the Watch clearly helps people. I just haven't found a reason to own one. Although this fall I am getting my daughter a new model, which will leave her Series 3 available. Perhaps I will try at that time? Just can't justify spending money on one for myself.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-07-13, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I'm gonna do the smart thing and not buy one.

This is the only rational answer, for most people.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-07-13, 17:48

There are cheaper ways to do basic fitness tracking (you can get a working one for like $40), but AW does better on privacy, integration, and, yes, fashion — lots of bands (incl. from third parties) to choose from. Whether it does 10x as good, thus justifying the price tag, is a different question.

Then there’s the other health (non-fitness) features like detecting heart issues that others don’t do at all or more poorly.

And, lastly, apps that are completely unrelated to health and fitness, such as podcast playback.

Do you need any of that? Probably not, especially if your health is alright (at this point… if you have an elderly parent and they already have an iPhone, gift them a Watch. They’ll enjoy wearing it, and it’ll help them notice health issues). Is it useful? Yeah. Is the price fair? Well, it’s a bit on the high end, just like with any Apple product.

This Apple Watch Extremegasm will be good for hikers. I don’t see the problem.