User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

best way to rip DVD to Harddrive?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
best way to rip DVD to Harddrive?
designerguy

2005-11-24, 22:42

What's the best way to rip a DVD to your Hard drive to watch at a later date on an airplane?

Best compression and quality and speed to view on an ibook 12"?

Is MacTheRipper and Handbrake still the best?

Thanks!
k squared

2005-11-24, 23:15

A quick search will bring up other threads on the subject, but yes, MacTheRipper is still the best way to rip a DVD to your hard drive. It will make a direct copy (no need for compression), so make sure you have enough disk space.

Check out www.ripdifferent.com for additional questions and/or applications
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-11-24, 23:15

For a flight, I would use handbrake to save space if you don't want to special features.

I have ripped whole DVD's for trips before, but I always wished I compressed them and brought those extra few movies I couldn't fit.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
designerguy

2005-11-24, 23:46

Hey Ebby what format do you compress the files to? AVI, MPG, H.xx(high def thingy)? I read the High def format takes 9+ hours to compress....seems a tad too much time.
pilot1129

Send a message via AIM to pilot1129  
2005-11-24, 23:48

This one is really good

it also includes directions and a freeware program to encode your dvd file into iPod Video playable format
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-11-25, 00:27

While h.264 is the latest and greatest, MPEG4 is much faster so I would use that. Around 1024K a second.
WMD

Send a message via ICQ to WMD Send a message via AIM to WMD Send a message via Yahoo to WMD  
2005-11-25, 15:11

I use MacThe Ripper to rip it (super easy), then use ffmpegX in standard MPEG-4 mode to convert it. The file size is around 1.3GB for a 90-minute, good-quality video. On my PowerBook G4/1.5, it goes slightly faster than real-time (around 80 minutes for the above movie). You can use H.264 for smaller size, but it takes around six hours and the videos don't play very well on this machine (choppy in reduced mode, which I use on battery).
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-11-25, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1129
This one is really good

it also includes directions and a freeware program to encode your dvd file into iPod Video playable format
Umm, you realize he's using a Mac, right?
designerguy

2005-11-25, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1129
This one is really good

I noticed the link was for PC too.

Thanks for all the advice! Going to try it and see what works best. thanks!
pilot1129

Send a message via AIM to pilot1129  
2005-11-25, 19:39

a mac? who uses a mac these days? when Microsoft buys them out, there will be no more macs!

just kidding, sorry, i posted that late at night and didnt entirely realize what i was posting/linking
designerguy

2005-11-25, 21:31

Right now I'm converting a 50 min DVD source file and it's taking 5 hours? Is this normal? The RIP only took 10 mins.

I'm converting with Handbrake to MP4 file 44100 samile rate/128 bit rate, target of 700 mb.

What setting do you guys use for max quality vs. shortest time?

Thanks!
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2005-11-25, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by designerguy
Right now I'm converting a 50 min DVD source file and it's taking 5 hours? Is this normal?
Completely normal if you've selected x264 as your "Encoder" in HandBrake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designerguy
What setting do you guys use for max quality vs. shortest time?
I don't encode videos to watch on an airplane because a DVD is so small and lightweight that I see no reason why I shouldn't simply take it onboard. Even H.264 (never mind Advanced Simple Profile MPEG-4) completely mangles video quality if you try to compress a 90-minute film into 700 MB. Given the above, I always use 2-pass x264 which takes about 40 hours for a typical film on my iBook. For best speed, at least with a G4 processor, use the FFmpeg "Encoder". XviD is marginally slower and also marginally lower quality with most material. A single-pass full-frame FFmpeg encode proceeds at real-time on my 1.2 GHz G4, but the quality is horrendous compared to 2-pass x264.

(Note that the latest release of HandBrake has introduced a bug that wasn't there in the beta: if you select "AVC/H.264 Video / AAC Audio" from "Codecs", and then decide you don't want that after all so go back to "MPEG-4 Video / AAC Audio", the "Encoder" menu is not updated with the FFmpeg and XviD codecs, but remains at "x264 (Main profile)" or "x264 (Baseline profile)", depending on what you had selected. This might explain why you're unexpectedly getting a 5 hour estimate. The only solution I've found is to quit HandBrake and re-open it.)
kungfuelmosan

2005-11-26, 07:17

have you guys checked out Popcorn from Roxio, ive got Roxio Toast and its the best program for burning and it mounts disk images!!! so i can just save game play disks etc to the hard drive and not have to put them in every time i have to play, i just mount them and OSX thinks theres a disk in there.

but thats besides the point, I havent got Popcorn but it looks verry cool for ripping DVD's as i often find that when im ripping a dvd with mactheripper to the HD its over 4.5G so i cant burn it off onto a normal DVD-R, Popcorn shrinks Dual Layer Disks to DVD-R
k squared

2005-11-26, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfuelmosan
...I havent got Popcorn but it looks verry cool for ripping DVD's as i often find that when im ripping a dvd with mactheripper to the HD its over 4.5G so i cant burn it off onto a normal DVD-R, Popcorn shrinks Dual Layer Disks to DVD-R
Popcorn doesn't rip DVDs -- it just compresses an already ripped Video TS folder.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2005-11-26, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Even H.264 (never mind Advanced Simple Profile MPEG-4) completely mangles video quality if you try to compress a 90-minute film into 700 MB.
???

What is the story here? My point of reference is a one hour TV program that has been formatted to .avi We're talking maybe 45 minutes of video that looks great on the laptop, and it's only 350ish megs. So why does a 90 minute movie compressed to 700megs look like shite??

What am I missing?

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-27, 02:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Of Love
What am I missing?
Your eyes and brain probably just aren't as sensitive to the visual noise. If that's the case, then don't worry about it; the ~700 MB compressed movie will probably look fine to you.

It's like how some people can't tell the difference between a 128 kbps MP3s and a 1.4 Mbps audio CD. Some people simply have a higher sense of visual and auditory awareness and some people don't and therefore aren't bothered by lossy conversions. Dorian Gray is the former; you are the latter. Simple as that.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2005-11-27, 15:35

Yeah, I'm a picky bastard when it comes to sound and video! Sounds like Brad might be too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Of Love
My point of reference is a one hour TV program that has been formatted to .avi
My point of reference is the original DVD, and I fail to see why I should considerably degrade my viewing pleasure by encoding it at a low bitrate when a DVD is small and, even in an airline context, practically weightless. MPEG-2 (the codec used in DVDs) is already a lossy format that often imposes a limit on the image quality. For example, Michael Cimino's titanic 1978 epic "The Deer Hunter", probably the most moving film I've ever watched despite being laced with racism and lies about the Viet Cong, is presented in woeful quality on the commercial DVD. I certainly wouldn't want to try encoding that to another lossy codec. Vilmos Zsigmond would be horrified.

The films I like tend to be visually stunning (2046, Amelie, A Very Long Engagement, etc) so good image quality is important for enjoyment of these films.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2005-11-27, 18:30

Hmm.

Not sure I agree that these formats "look bad" but I'll live with your assessment. Now if I was to out put a 350 meg .avi to a "real" tv monitor, I'm sure I would notice, but on a 12" power book, well, I don't think that too many people could tell the difference.

Same with a 128k mp3. With average speakers or head phones, few can tell. Put those files thru a good amp and speakers and the loss is obvious.

I don't think I'll be "ripping" my DVD's to the laptop anytime soon, but I am curious about it for a couple of reasons. Also, just trying to learn new things....

I had a friend in HS who claimed he could see the TV "Scanning"!
Now if that's true... LOL

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.
designerguy

2005-11-27, 20:55

So far it's been a cool experiement.

A 60 min show will rip to 2.5 gigs. The same show taken to 700 mb avi is ok on a 12" ibook. I took that down to 170mb 360x360 file for my old TT palm. not bad...but needs to be smaller for the processor to get through it.

I'm going abroad and need abou 18 hours of airplane entertainment! So if I could get a ton of TV on a DVD or burn it to my drive that would work great.

Quality is not as good but as the last post said...i'm on a tiny screen listening to it over airplane noise in a cramped as hell seat...as long as it's pretty good it beats the airplane head rest monitors.

Thanks! Works great!