User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

The New iPod Nanos don't scratch as easily?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The New iPod Nanos don't scratch as easily?
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2006-03-12, 14:08

I got the new 1gig Nano (black) just a few days after it was released. I bought it because I figured I could not really worry about it getting scratched since it was relatively inexpensive. Well, I haven't been very careful with it, but although the back gets scratched, the front is perfect.

I've owned several iPods before, and I actually had the 4gig black Nano when it first came out, and in comparison, I have been rougher with this one, but no scratches so far.

I'm thinking Apple is using a different plastic, or is putting some kind of coating to make them harder to scratch. I can find no accounts of this online however.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-12, 14:34

Perhaps.

Or maybe the whole scratching thing was overblown as most cosmetic issues are?
Ghost2

2006-03-12, 15:00

It's because of the new raised edge on the 1gb model.
http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/12/n...ch-protection/
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-03-12, 15:18

Does the raised edge look lame?

Also, rumor had it that the 1GB iPn backlight was worse. Since you've had both, can you tell a difference?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-12, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost2
It's because of the new raised edge on the 1gb model.
Did you read the comments on that post? And the "update" addendum? A lot of people are crying foul that the article is wrong.

Quote:
We really appreciate the link to our forums - thanks. But we've checked the unit we reviewed and there is no apparent lip in the plastic, or other plastic difference between this and our earlier 2GB and 4GB units. The claim is either a fraud, a manufacturing oddity in some subset of units, or something that does not exist in the brand new 1GB unit we have here. As noted in our review, however, and previously linked on Engadget, the new one definitely has a slightly different screen.

Jeremy Horwitz, Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-03-12, 15:34

It looks like someone just put a Crystal Film on the Nano. I have a crystal film on my iPod, and if not placed correctly it will not cover the front or back perfectly, and the edge will have that look to it.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2006-03-12, 16:39

the raised edges theory is bullshit. that would not protect it from getting scratched for shit.

It raises so little I tihnk it's just caused by a change in the material or something. I am quite certain that it doesn't scratch as easily as before though.
Ghost2

2006-03-12, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Did you read the comments on that post? And the "update" addendum? A lot of people are crying foul that the article is wrong.
Sorry about that, I must have skipped over that part, it was an honest (and stupid) mistake.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2006-03-12, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Does the raised edge look lame?

Also, rumor had it that the 1GB iPn backlight was worse. Since you've had both, can you tell a difference?
It might be, but the different is so negligible that I really can't tell. Besides, it's not like you're going to use that screen for any video watching anyway, so it's not a big deal.