User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Avi To Dvd And Compression

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Avi To Dvd And Compression
section8joe

2007-03-26, 23:21

I have an AVI files thats 1.25gb and I want to burn it to a DVD. I tried to use toast but I guess when toast encodes the dvd if somehow expands it to 5gb. 5gb is too big for one DVD. Im trying to find a way to compress and burn the AVI. Can someone help me out? I don't know where to look.
thanks
fucayama

2007-03-27, 14:54

I use visualhub for this these days, very versatile little app for almost all of your video transcoding needs (not too expensive, about $20 I think).
It will set the bitrate accordingly depending on the duration of video, they say up to 18 hours worth on one dvd before the quality becomes too poor. Personally I've burnt a couple of 4hr discs and the quality was still superb.
It just uses ffmpeg for it's encoding like most video tools but seems to get the best out of it.

The only downside compared to toast or idvd is that you won't be able to add menus but that's not much of an issue if using a single file, also there is an option to set chapters every 5, 10, 15 minutes etc.

Also just checking but there is an option in toast to set the quality, this can squeeze a bit more time out of a standard dvd if needed but you may have already tried this i guess. also check which disc type is set next to the big record button, this MIGHT affect how toast is doing it's encoding.

hope this helps