Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

My poor, wet cellphone

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
My poor, wet cellphone
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2008-03-09, 04:09

The other day I dropped my cellphone in a glass of water (I did not even know I had it anywhere near me, so I stood up, and somehow the phone ended up in my glass of water next to my chair). Anyway, i grabbed it out of the glass, ripped it open and got rid of the battery and SIM card and stuff. I then towelled it dry and blew in some of the holes. Once it was surface dry, I placed it on the warmest thing I knew of, the top of our old CRT monitor. Later it got moved to the airing cupboard (with hot water cylinder) and today it spent the day outside in the sun.

What else do I have to do/should I do, and what are the chances it will live?

I really don't want to buy a new phone, because it's expensive and I've already wasted NZ$700 on this one so far (I already replaced it once because some bitch kicked it around like a soccer ball). Plus I've already spent a lot of money recently, and dont have any to spare for a replacement phone.

Cheers
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2008-03-09, 08:45

Most cell phones now have a little sensor inside that once the phone comes in contact with water, turn from white to red. It's usually located near the battery or under it. You should look and see if its has turned--if not, perhaps the warranty is still good.

And please do not do like one of my secretaries once did: stick it in the microwave and dry to it out. Trust me, that does not work.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
elvia

2008-03-09, 09:17

I have dropped mine in water many many times. From mud puddles to kitchen sinks. I always pulled battery, blow it out with air.
then, I set the oven on warm and put the phone in the oven for about 30 minutes. Presto one baked phone. It has worked every time. Oner time I had to do it twice to get it to work. Even though the battery has turned to pink on the dot, Battery life has still been good.
Good Luck
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-03-09, 10:04

Just put the battery back in and see if it works. There's very little danger of damage if it's still wet, and more than likely it'll work.
iFerret

2008-03-09, 13:38

I've tried it with the battery and it didnt work.

Unfortunately, last night it was plugged into the mains for a while. It doesn't work today again so maybe it's just stuffed.

I'll keep trying though.

Thanks guys!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-03-09, 15:45

I dropped a phone into a bowl of steaming hot soup one time (don't ask) and it recovered, don't give up!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-03-09, 16:06

I went swimming with mine once and didn't notice I had it until it started buzzing/ringing underwater. 5 min. later.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-03-09, 17:58

I've had phones both live and die after being dropped in water. Not fun.

This won't help after the fact, but most cell companies offer insurance for these types of occasions. The $3 or $5 per month is a lousy investment for a low-level phone, but is likely worth it for expensive phones.
iFerret

2008-03-09, 21:52

Oh so there is a chance. Yay!

Again thanks.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-03-09, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I dropped a phone into a bowl of steaming hot soup one time (don't ask) and it recovered, don't give up!
Ha, I have a similar story.

Like 2-3 years ago I was at school and I was on the phone talking to someone while eating a bowl of cereal at my computer desk and I dropped the phone in my cereal. It was soaked in milk so I pulled it out and cleaned it off and everything.

It started working again and then a few hours later my entire screen went blue. The sticker hadn't turned red so I was still able to claim warranty.

I took it to verizon and told them I had no idea what happened and the screen was blue. He said he had no idea what happened and had never seen that and just gave me a brand new phone, haha.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-03-10, 11:40

Bake it on "warm" like elvia said. Make sure the battery isn't in.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-10, 11:56

iFerret, if it helps: I dropped mine in a swimming pool last summer, where it sank to the bottom (about 10 feet) and was there for a solid 30-60 seconds.

I removed the battery and card, shook it vigorously (er...the phone), put a hair dryer on it for a bit, let it sit for the rest of the day (10-12 hours) to "dry out", put the battery and SIM card back in late that evening, fired it up (and hoped for the best), and it booted up perfectly. I used it for about another six or so weeks, without a problem, until I got my new phone.

Surely "10 feet at bottom of pool for nearly a minute" trumps "glass of water for a few seconds" in terms of damage inflicted?

What else was in that water?

iFerret

2008-03-11, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
iFerret, if it helps: I dropped mine in a swimming pool last summer, where it sank to the bottom (about 10 feet) and was there for a solid 30-60 seconds.

I removed the battery and card, shook it vigorously (er...the phone), put a hair dryer on it for a bit, let it sit for the rest of the day (10-12 hours) to "dry out", put the battery and SIM card back in late that evening, fired it up (and hoped for the best), and it booted up perfectly. I used it for about another six or so weeks, without a problem, until I got my new phone.

Surely "10 feet at bottom of pool for nearly a minute" trumps "glass of water for a few seconds" in terms of damage inflicted?

What else was in that water?

Yer surely ten feet of pool water beats a glass. Later this evening I will try the oven trick.

In the glass... crappy tap water and saliva.
iFerret

2008-03-24, 00:20

Okay so I tried the oven trick and it half worked.

Today I tried to turn the phone on, it showed up the carrier's logo like it normally would and then it faded to black (kind of).
It's battery isn't flat either BTW.

I might have to take it in to the shop and see what they say, unless anyone here has any ideas...