Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Truth is Out There...
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-10-19, 22:00

...no seriously.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7398108.stm

Britain releases some prior classified info on UFO sightings by airliners and such, into public archives. Discovery channel will have a field day with this stuff.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-10-20, 01:10

This is a pretty old story, if I remember correctly. What brought it to your attention now, if I may ask?

I love alien stories. I wouldn't call myself a believer, but I LOVE to watch those discovery channel, and history channel documentaries about this stuff. The French released their database a while ago, too, but its all in French and mine isn't good enough to read technical documents. Is there a link to the digital files for this stuff? I tried finding it a couple months back but I was unsuccessful.

EDIT: oooh, i found the links to the digital files after a quick google.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-10-20, 01:43

Most of those images look like what the papers have been putting out for years as "eye witness" accounts. They all look like they were drawn from primary school kids too. Maybe I just missed the "real" pictures because I didn't look at all of them.

However, if there is some real facts to this maybe it'll push the US in to telling all that they know too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-10-20, 05:15

I once worked on a job with this "well documented" alien abductee, and must say that I was convinced. Convinced that he had deep-seated issues that were resolved in his mind through the artifice of this utterly lame story.

/covering up for my alien friends

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Fooboy

2008-10-20, 06:22

If I ever saw an alien on my property ... I would shoot it without hesitation.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-10-20, 07:11

This is where I saw the original story and then I saw the other link which might've been older.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7679145.stm

But I got the impression there was a bunch of classified investigative stuff that they released, which I assume if someone files a ridiculous report it's not going to be investigated for very long, much less classified. So whatever these reports were I figured they were more interesting than the usual BS. Obviously the drawings are just amateur drawings. There could be a UFO outside your window right now and if I asked you to draw it accurately for me, more than half of the people here would produce something that looked like it was drawn by a 6th grader.

Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-10-20, 17:16

Dennis Miller:

Quote:
Only man is a narcissistic enough species to think that a highly evolved alien life force would travel across billions and billions of light-years- a group of aliens so intelligent, so insouciant, so utterly above it all, they feel no need whatsoever to equip their spacecraft with windows so that they can gaze out on all that celestial beauty-but then immediately upon landing, their first impulse is to get in some hick's ass with a flashlight.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-10-20, 17:21

Any sufficiently advanced alien wouldn't use Windows.
¡Damned!

2008-10-20, 18:04

Word.

Seriously, do any of you really think intelligent lifeforms would bother with Earth?

Check Fooboy's post upthread for what to expect, then watch the prophetic: The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Yeah. Welcome to Earth. Monkeys with machines, sadly enough.

So it goes.
zsummers
Avast!

2008-10-20, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post

Word.

Seriously, do any of you really think intelligent lifeforms would bother with Earth?

Check Fooboy's post upthread for what to expect, then watch the prophetic: The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Yeah. Welcome to Earth. Monkeys with machines, sadly enough.
Off-topic (click to toggle):
I miss Calvin and Hobbs very badly. I can remember the context for the above panel perfectly, even though I was probably reading it at the dinner table way back in junior high. What a great strip.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
colivigan
Veteran Member

2008-10-20, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooboy View Post
If I ever saw an alien on my property ... I would shoot it without hesitation.

Then you'd have to field-dress it, of course. Like a moose.

Although, I do have a sneaking suspicion that in this scenario, you might end up being the one who gets field-dressed.
Fooboy

2008-10-20, 21:52

I was only joshin' ...

I wouldn't shoot it ... unless he attacked first!!!

I mean come on, would you approach some weird creature without a gun? No probes for me, thanks. :P
artesc

2008-10-20, 22:08

earth is fuckhole

who would want to visit it.
Fooboy

2008-10-21, 07:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by artesc View Post
Earth is a fuck-hole.

Who would want to visit it?
Fixed your crappy english.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-10-21, 08:40

Too bad you can't fix the crappy thought process.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-10-21, 09:28

My grandfather was stationed at Ft. Worth TX in the USAF in 1947.

He was picked to go to a ranch outside Roswell, NM.

He flew a few cargo flights to Wright Field, OH.

He refused to speak about it.

He subsequently entered USAF Intel.

He died without telling me a goddamned thing.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-10-21, 09:40

I have a tough time believing "we're it" in this huge universe...just makes no sense.

But I also have a tough time believing that if we're "not alone", that there is only one more race or whatever out there, and why they would seek us out, of all the others, to come to. And that's assuming they're even advanced enough to have spaceships and all that.

We just assume, from movies and books, that any "alien race" is big-headed, "highly advanced", etc. They might be bigger dumbasses than us, and still banging rocks around and barely capable of building adequate shelter, much less putting together a craft for intergalactic flight.

They probably sit and look up into their night sky wondering the same things we do.

And, chances are, we'll never know of each other's existence.

I believe other life exists "out there", definitely. I just don't think we'll ever see indisputable, first-hand proof or have some sort of Devil's Tower meet-up.

If this Roswell thing actually happened, it would take the government actually copping to it and releasing all info and records without the blacked-out, censored passages. And all the hundreds of other events, from governments and militaries all around the world, too.

And that just isn't going to happen in any of our lifetimes. It's simply too "big", I think.

Maybe our grandchildren's grandchildren might see something amazing one day (if we're still even around and haven't blown the joint up or anything).
artesc

2008-10-21, 09:44

Whoa, yeah. Sorry about that. I had a dim recollection of posting...something. I was, shall we say, rather depressed last night and attempting to, uh, mitigate the effects of that frame of mind with certain substances. I'm sure that I can be forgiven for my "crappy english" under the circumstances.

Oh wait, I'm pretty sure it is "crappy English."

But please Fooboy, correct me if I'm wrong. I greatly appreciate the insight. Your command of the situation was impeccable; your foresight and your strength of will were, and are, beyond reproach. I look forward to your comments in the future.

artesc all the way!
Fooboy

2008-10-21, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by artesc View Post
Whoa, yeah. Sorry about that. I had a dim recollection of posting...something. I was, shall we say, rather depressed last night and attempting to, uh, mitigate the effects of that frame of mind with certain substances. I'm sure that I can be forgiven for my "crappy english" under the circumstances.

Oh wait, I'm pretty sure it is "crappy English."

But please Fooboy, correct me if I'm wrong. I greatly appreciate the insight. Your command of the situation was impeccable; your foresight and your strength of will were, and are, beyond reproach. I look forward to your comments in the future.
Don't be so sensitive. Sorry if I came across a bit harsh.

Love and Kisses,

Fooboy
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-10-21, 10:19

artesc: drew recommends watching hosket when you are drunk... will ensure you're in a better mood / frame of mind.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-10-21, 10:37

Re: why would anyone visit earth?

We study lichens and little bacteria don't we? How would studying the species developing around you on a galactic scale be any different?

¡Damned!

2008-10-21, 10:40

Less studying and more containment, methinks.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-10-21, 10:42

Quote:
Less studying and more containment, methinks.
Also a good point. Big brother ehhh?
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-10-21, 10:55

I dunno, all our sci fi tells us that we are the newbie race to the galaxy (or the universe), because we haven't made contact with intelligent life from another planet. But what if we're not? As I understand the theory, the Big Bang created our entire universe. So odds are that we're not any further back in development than any other potential planet in this universe, right?

So it may still be a really long time before we make contact with any other planet, and even then it might be us making the contact first. Unless of course we get some hyper advanced race from another universe stopping by to give us a friendly probe now and then.
¡Damned!

2008-10-21, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Also a good point. Big brother ehhh?
I was thinking more along the lines of a virus, and keeping it in check so it doesn't spread.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-10-21, 11:48

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of a virus, and keeping it in check so it doesn't spread.
Yeah, I can buy that. But if they're altruistic enough for that I think maybe they would have faith that humanity will outgrow our gross disregard of nature's balance.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-10-21, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Yeah, I can buy that. But if they're altruistic enough for that I think maybe they would have faith that humanity will outgrow our gross disregard of nature's balance.
Or maybe they're confused why we haven't strip mined the surface to get our asses off this mudball, and start exploiting the rest of the planets in our back yard.

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-10-21, 13:28

Yeah, that what you'd do in Spaceward Ho!, so I don't know why we haven't done it here yet.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-10-21, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
I dunno, all our sci fi tells us that we are the newbie race to the galaxy (or the universe), because we haven't made contact with intelligent life from another planet. But what if we're not? ... it may still be a really long time before we make contact with any other planet, and even then it might be us making the contact first. Unless of course we get some hyper advanced race from another universe stopping by to give us a friendly probe now and then.
Agree pretty much. All of our thoughts about this stuff are colored by our experiences with movies, books, etc which always assume we're the peons. If there is some group out there the truth is probably somewhere between us being the peons and being the technological leaders. I don't think we're the only life out there by a long-shot, maybe not even the only intelligent life, but the distances are so vast that it would take any civilization a very long time to develop the technology to travel astronomical distances within a pragmatic span of time... even aliens will die sometime, one assumes... entropy is the one enemy we'll all have in common.

artesc

2008-10-21, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooboy View Post
Don't be so sensitive. Sorry if I came across a bit harsh.

Love and Kisses,

Fooboy
yeah, sorry if i was a bit snarky. xoxoxo I don't want to be the asshole that everyone hates on 'nova!

my head doesn't hurt now!

artesc all the way!