AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

"Only On A Mac" Advertisements

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Only On A Mac" Advertisements
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-08-30, 00:13

Holy Crap Batman!
Apple is advertising the OPERATING SYSTEM in mainstream venues!!????
I just saw it on CNN.com and expect that the ads are showing up elsewhere. Am I late to this party or has the revolution just started?

Started AGAIN I mean....

Anyhow.

Somebody nudge Mr. Scates and stand back....

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-08-30, 00:20

Heh. I've seen the "Widgets. Only on a Mac." flash ads for about the last week or so on Yahoo! Finance several times. Have they been advertising other features? Seems like Spotlight is the better one to advertise IMO.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-08-30, 01:04

Where is scates? I would have thought he would have been the first one to post when Apple finally started advertising the OS.

I havent seen any as of yet, but then again I did just work 32 hours in 2 days so....

I think Ill wait until they put them up on the site, watching CNN for any length of time is too painful.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-30, 03:46

Wow. Not before time. It would be nice to think Apple had belatedly had a change of heart about advertising their best product.
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2005-08-30, 03:58

Its about time they FINALLY did some OS advertising...in Australia I haven't seen ONE Mac add, ipod adds yes, mac, no.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-30, 13:25

I've seen a few of the Widget advertisements too. I crave more. However, I wish Apple wouldn't advertise the second weakest aspect of their OS (Finder being the weakest). I guess I shouldn't complain though. I'm very happy they are finally getting OS X out there in the public eye.

It's about time Apple.

Come waste your time with me
rasmits
rams it

2005-08-31, 03:53

I haven't seen any, and it's weird that there was no "Hot News" announcement from Apple. Usually their commercials are available for download too.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-31, 07:36

Would anyone save and host some of these? I've yet to see any. Of course, that might be thanks to my thorough hosts file filtering on all my machines...
MCQ
Veteran Member

2005-08-31, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Would anyone save and host some of these? I've yet to see any. Of course, that might be thanks to my thorough hosts file filtering on all my machines...
Google is your friend.

http://www.tuaw.com/2005/08/26/apple...gets-on-yahoo/

http://www.tuaw.com/files/2005/08/widgets.mov

Rasmits: It's just a 10 sec flash ad... these aren't full blown Quicktime ads. No reason for them to post this on the website.

Last edited by MCQ : 2005-08-31 at 08:03.
rasmits
rams it

2005-08-31, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
Rasmits: It's just a 10 sec flash ad... these aren't full blown Quicktime ads. No reason for them to post this on the website.
Oh, I got confused. I thought he meant CNN the TV station, not CNN.com
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-08-31, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits
Oh, I got confused. I thought he meant CNN the TV station, not CNN.com
Thats what I thought too.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-08-31, 18:32

It's so funny that I'm so known for a particular aspect of the Mac-using experience!

"Ohmigosh, go wake up up Paul...he'll freak!"

OS X is their big bat...they SHOULD swing it more than they do, and proudly.

Glad to hear about this. Always cool to bitch about something for 3-4 years, then see it actually happen!

Now, if Macs would all drop $500 or so, you could get Matsu to shut up too!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-08-31, 19:26

Good one, Paul!

Of course, if they did that, everyone would shut up. The heart attacks would kill us all!

Good spots. Hope they show that stuff during MNF!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
MCQ
Veteran Member

2005-08-31, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

Free Mac minis? Sign me up!
Wrao
Yarp

2005-08-31, 20:19

Seems like a dangerous ad campaign. Surely there are tons of widget like applications one can get for windows. Right off the top of my head, doesn't the windows active desktop feature essentially provide an easy way to accomplish 90% of what widgets do from the desktop? That feature has been in windows for a long time too.

What's more... what other really nifty things are 'only on a mac'? There are tons... sure, but, many of them are fairly insignificant and/or not something to brag about, they just add nice touches to the mac experience on a whole.

Exposé´is a big one that I constantly impress windows users with. But, from what I understand it there is Winexposé available...or did that get axed?

Shrug... It's a nice idea, but I just don't think there are really that many things that are significant and 'only on a mac'. The draw to apple for me has never been because of exclusive features, it's been because it does virtually everything a windows based computer can do, only... better.
¡Damned!

2005-08-31, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

Heh. I love Matsu's *rants*. You have to admit, they're usually pretty right on...and damn good fodder for discussion. I, for one, am glad to see him coming over here more often.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2005-08-31 at 21:17.
rasmits
rams it

2005-09-01, 02:27

I agree with Wrao. I also think it's funny that of all the more useful features they could be advertising about OS X, they instead choose widgets whom many argue is a waist of processor space.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-09-01, 10:53

Next they'll be advertising the Finder.

You're all invited to my funeral.

Edit: Yes, I really do feel that DB is right up there with the Finder in terms of suckyness. Things that need to be fixed or scrapped totally in OS X (in order of importance): 1. Finder 2. DB

Come waste your time with me

Last edited by DMBand0026 : 2005-09-01 at 10:55.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-09-02, 02:22

A Secure Operating System.... only on a Mac

Stress-free computing experience.... only on a Mac
rasmits
rams it

2005-09-02, 03:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby
A Secure Operating System.... only on a Mac

Stress-free computing experience.... only on a Mac
Exactly.

"0 viruses in 6 years. Only on a Mac" etc. etc.

Not really only on a Mac but what ever.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-09-02, 05:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Seems like a dangerous ad campaign. Surely there are tons of widget like applications one can get for windows. Right off the top of my head, doesn't the windows active desktop feature essentially provide an easy way to accomplish 90% of what widgets do from the desktop? That feature has been in windows for a long time too.
Active Desktop has been around since... was it 95 or 98? But no one has cared enough to use it. I have just peeked at widget code but I understand you can make a Dashboard widget and need not much more than an elementary understanding of how to make a webpage. For AD, I think you need to know how to make an ActiveX component. Plus, due to the graphics residing mostly in video memory, DB isn't ridiculously slow like anything similar done with AD would be.
Quote:
Exposé´is a big one that I constantly impress windows users with. But, from what I understand it there is Winexposé available...or did that get axed?
Nothing like Expose for Windows. I think Expose and Sleep are two things that should be shown in ads. Even if they say you should never show a competitor's product in an ad, in this case it might be in order.

Imagine a scene where a guy sits down in a crowded bus and suddenly has to make a note for whatever reason. He picks up a clumsy, inelegant laptop from a bag, flips it open, and waits for 8 seconds or whatever it takes to un-hibernate, then types a few words in to a note, waits yet more for the computer to hibernate itself - barely avoiding dropping it when the person in the next seat moves.

Then the exact same scene, different guy, with a nice, light iBook or a Powerbook that comes effortlessly out of the bag and fits in the lap. This guy just flips the screen open, types and shuts the screen. "Just works better. Apple."
Quote:
Shrug... It's a nice idea, but I just don't think there are really that many things that are significant and 'only on a mac'. The draw to apple for me has never been because of exclusive features, it's been because it does virtually everything a windows based computer can do, only... better.
I started writing counterexamples such as connecting to networks, sharing files.. and then realized Windows is also supposed to do those, it just does many of them so horribly I didn't think of it as the same thing

For techies, it might be a good idea to show in ads how you can put on a web server with one click right after booting up the first time. As if the cleanness of System Preferences and the ease of setting up networks wasn't enough, I thought the list of fileserving, SSH and others mighty impressive.