MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-09-10, 08:56

Must have slipped my radar yesterday.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1857201,00.asp

Download site:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/fire.../1.5beta1.html

Don't see any major changes UI-wise at first glance (sorry Brad) other than ability to reorganize tabs.

Speed-wise it seems very "snappy" though.
Batman

2005-09-10, 09:45

Downloading now...
Batman

2005-09-10, 09:57

I agree - the UI is very snappy. The load speeds are way better too. For example, there is less than half a second of lag time between gmail pages (100 mbps connection). The new Gecko engine is great for speed, but I can't sense any change in page rendering accuracy, better or worse. One last thing. The menus have been changed with slightly more space between each item, and the options box has the items on top.

Sometimes ... things that are expensive ... are worse.

Last edited by Batman : 2005-09-10 at 09:59.
Alexia

Send a message via AIM to Alexia  
2005-09-10, 11:31

Being honest, the only difference I noticed was that it is slightly less jumping when scrolling with the track pad. I'm sticking with 1.0.6 until the full version is release and all the extensions are supported.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-10, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
Don't see any major changes UI-wise at first glance (sorry Brad) other than ability to reorganize tabs.
Heh. Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on this, actually. The biggest UI change is in the preferences dialog. They're trying to copy the Mac OS X UI pixel for pixel in there, applying the Mac preferences UI cross-platform like they tried with the toolbar-editing sheet.

Or maybe that's in Deer Part 1.6.... I can't remember which version has which and don't want to download another build, but know at least that it's on the way.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-09-10, 15:38

The OS X style preferences (options) dialog in this beta. Noticed it when I was messing around with some text options on the Windows build.
Batman

2005-09-10, 20:00

There is also a new "Server Not Found" page. IMO, way better than the original IE "Cannot find..." page that has been spoofed so many ways.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-10, 23:06

Yeah, that's something that's been rolling into the Camino 0.9/1.0 nightlies for a while too. Safari's had a similar page since 2.0 and is less descriptive, but it links to the Mac OS X help pages or the System Preferences for checking the network.

I finally downloaded it and was very happy to see the Mac-friendly disk image complete with drive icon and descriptive background. Cool!

Though, literally within seconds of opening it I found myself having to compensate for its un-Mac-like UI behaviors. *sigh* I thought one of the focuses for [then] 1.1 was to improve the Mac side of things; I guess they changed their minds about that. In any case, I'll be tinkering around here and will have an updated list of "Firefox 1.5 UI Grievances" by the time it's released.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.