Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The WordPress Thread
Page 5 of 8 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  Next Thread Tools
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-05-04, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Really busy right now but it looks like that's because your OLDER link is pointing to your NEWER posts and your NEWER link is pointing at your OLDER posts..... try swapping the PHP calls....
I'm not really sure the reasoning, but that's the way WordPress has developed their navigational links. I guess it's that the "next" page in the series (ie 2 < 3) is the further back in time you're going.

Quote:
I personally just discovered that I borked the stylesheet of my own blog last night AND that the permissions on my themes are CHMODed to allow me to work on them remotely.... so my sidebar will be puke green all day today. Doesn't really matter..... but it's annoying.
Haha. I love working on my stuff late and night and then when I wake up I realize I really messed something up. That's the fun about being a web designer I guess.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-03, 01:27

Anyone here use the "Post by email" method? I created a POP account to try this and it doesn't work. I might be missing something, but I verified my settings with Mail.app and there is still no love from WordPress. Any ideas? I'm still running 2.1.3.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-04, 20:45

So I take it no one has a clue about the post by email method and why mine isn't working? Is there more information I can give that would help?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-06-04, 20:54

I've never tired the feature. Sorry turtle.

I assume you've made sure that WP is monitoring the right port for your mail server?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-06-04, 21:00

Ahhh... I'm too scared to turn that feature on!!!
Sorry
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-06-04, 21:04

I've never even tried, but whenever I get a better phone that does email (hopefully this fall) I'll probably enable it and set up a Moblog category.

(I'm still on 2.1.2 )
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-04, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
I've never tired the feature. Sorry turtle.

I assume you've made sure that WP is monitoring the right port for your mail server?
Yeah, port 110. I know it's right because I created an account in Mail.app to check it so I would know if spam is sent there somehow. Mail sees it. I verified my settings in WP to Mail.

Quote:
Ahhh... I'm too scared to turn that feature on!!!
Sorry
Well, at least you know your scared and not afraid to say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
I've never even tried, but whenever I get a better phone that does email (hopefully this fall) I'll probably enable it and set up a Moblog category.

(I'm still on 2.1.2 )
I have a WM6 phone right now and that's why I'm interested in running this feature.

Well, I think I'll upgrade to 2.2 tonight or tomorrow and see if it works then. I'll let you guys know if I make any progress.

BTW, Drew, I really like PodPress. Great tip, even though I haven't posted with it yet.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-06-04, 21:47

Yeah, I really need to put some bread in Mr. Kuykendall's jar..... great plug-in!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-05, 01:20

What's a Cron-Job?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordPress Readme.html
Post via Email

You can post from an email client! To set this up go to your "Writing" options screen and fill in the connection details for your secret POP3 account. Then you need to set up wp-mail.php to execute periodically to check the mailbox for new posts. You can do it with Cron-jobs, or if your host doesn't support it you can look into the various website-monitoring services, and make them check your wp-mail.php URL.

Posting is easy: Any email sent to the address you specify will be posted, with the subject as the title. It is best to keep the address dicrete. The script will delete emails that are successfully posted.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-06-05, 03:46

cron is a scheduler in Unix. You tell it times/intervals at which to have something executed, e.g. every Monday at 9 AM.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-05, 10:57

There's a wp-cron.php file in my WP root. Is this where I would tell it to check my email? If so, how do I do this?
[PHP]<?php
ignore_user_abort(true);
define('DOING_CRON', TRUE);
require_once('wp-config.php');

if ( $_GET['check'] != md5(DB_PASS . '187425') )
exit;

if ( get_option('doing_cron') > time() )
exit;

update_option('doing_cron', time() + 30);

$crons = _get_cron_array();
$keys = array_keys($crons);
if (!is_array($crons) || $keys[0] > time())
return;
foreach ($crons as $timestamp => $cronhooks) {
if ($timestamp > time()) break;
foreach ($cronhooks as $hook => $keys) {
foreach ($keys as $key => $args) {
$schedule = $args['schedule'];
if ($schedule != false) {
$new_args = array($timestamp, $schedule, $hook, $args['args']);
call_user_func_array('wp_reschedule_event', $new_args);
}
wp_unschedule_event($timestamp, $hook, $args['args']);
do_action_ref_array($hook, $args['args']);
}
}
}

update_option('doing_cron', 0);

?>[/PHP]
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-07-10, 09:44

I could have sworn that the Links/Blogroll control panel gave you the ability to assign IDs to every URL in your blogroll so you could sort them... but that's not the case. Does anybody have an idea how to specifically and explicitly manage the order in which your links to other sites are presented?

EDIT: the only solution I see is to use the rating system, which goes from 1-9. Howevery, the Docs don't explain which end of the scale is considered "better" and if you have more than 8 or 9 links in any particular Blogroll category you lose the ability to control which link goes before the other.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Last edited by drewprops : 2007-07-10 at 09:55.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-07-10, 09:54

I haven't yet, that's why I don't use them much either.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-07-10, 11:46

Yeah, the only way I've ever been able to sort links is alpha by category. Though, I remember seeing a plugin featured on the dashboard thing a little while back that gave you expanded link management. Unfortunately I can't remember the name but it was on that Weblog Tools Collection site.

Website | Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-07-13, 18:46

Any ideas as to why my album art isn't being uploaded into iTunes for a podcast I'm running? It looks good in podPress as thought it is there, but yet iTunes only has the generic image of the purple guy.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-07-17, 13:57

Dan Kuykendall was doing a 1-year thing with his forums and has since restarted them over on Yahoo groups, which is absolutely pitiful. But, if you go join up over there you'll find that there are RAFTS of podcasters who are having problems getting their feeds to validate.... and I'm among that group.

Two minutes ago I went to look at Feedburner.com and am SERIOUSLY going to go read up on that tonight. I'd like to have a discussion of that site/method... which of our forums is the appropriate location to do that? If I can just have Feedburner handle the feed and PodPress handle the installation of the video in my posts I'll be happy.

Alternately, if you're only delivering video, you *could* insert YouTube video code into you posts.... ugly, but you don't have to bear the brunt of the server load....

Anyway, is this best discussed in another thread? Want to start it?

Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-08-13, 21:14

Anyone else upgrade to 2.2.2? I have with no issues at all, I'm just wondering who else upgrades all the time. I'm actually surprised that most don't upgrade. Anyway, I guess it was released 9 days ago.

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-08-13, 21:27

<-- Still on 2.1.2
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-08-13, 21:45

I run two WordPress run sites and just updated them both today. I was surprised that this update didn't require the usual one click upgrade. It must have just been a clean up of the code.

Website | Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-08-13, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
I run two WordPress run sites and just updated them both today. I was surprised that this update didn't require the usual one click upgrade. It must have just been a clean up of the code.
Yeah, That kinda freaked me out too because I went to the upgrade URL and it told me I didn't need it. Then I went to view my site and it was borked!

Come to find out I needed to re-activate my Theme Switcher plugin since I coded it into the themes. There were a few other things I needed to tidy up too. No issues once I re-activated my plugins though.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-08-14, 11:41

I have.... um.... three? Four??
They're all at different levels.
Each new one that I set up and maintain teaches me things to take back to the other WP installations.... good cross-pollination happening there....

Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-09-03, 23:29

So how hard is it to move my WP blog to another folder on my host? I have a secondary domain name and want to move my blog from tonysphoto.old.com to tonysphoto.new.com. I know little about SQL but it seems like all I'd need to do is copy the folders on the server and change an address here or there. Has anyone done this before?

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-09-03, 23:37

Database wise it's fine.

Just move the wordpress files to the new folder and make sure you update all the URLs and file paths in the admin panel.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-09-04, 06:26

Or, really, all you have to do is move the index file and have it point to where everything is stored. Just make sure you complete the settings in the general options and follow these instructions: http://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_Wo..._Own_Directory

Website | Twitter
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-09-26, 14:31

Anyone know a good newsletter type plugin? I'm looking for something that sends update notices or copies the blog post to subscribers upon posting by a specific author or to a specific category.

Website | Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-03-18, 22:24

Hey, I just noticed that WordPress v2.5 is due out sometime soon... check out the interface and the feature set!
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-03-18, 22:34

Saw they let RC1 out last night. The feature set looks pretty nice -- auto-updating plugins sounds pretty nice. I'm glad they are updating the interface as it's the single thing I loathe about WP.

Website | Twitter
noleli2

2008-03-18, 22:58

Thanks for the update. I didn't see anything about whether or not they're using the new (Safari-compatible) version of TinyMCE. Anybody heard anything about that?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-03-18, 23:28

http://www.7graus.com/tech/wordpress/leopress/

I'm using this theme now, it's awesome. I just upgraded mine to the latest 2.3.3, I tend to let upgrades slip a bit, I was on 2.3.1
drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-03-19, 00:01

Very cool theme!!

I recently upgraded to 2.3.3 and am busy doing heavy customizations to an off the shelf theme called springLoaded. I was hoping to install a theme switching plug-in, to allow users to pick their own themes, but it's looking like there may not be one available right now...

Captain Drew on Twitter