User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Need g5 purchase advice, please

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Need g5 purchase advice, please
smokii

2006-01-21, 05:21

I am trying to determine what we need in editing equipment for a local church. I've been swayed to go to the G5 dual processor, quad core. I've had a couple quotes from some retailers, but am still not sure that packages are coming with all we need to get started. We were using a Windows machine with Pinnacle equipped with the blue breakout box. Generally, we were sending our feed up to a DV recorder and later sending that recording to the workstation for editing. Aside from the computer itself, exactly what else do I need to make sure we can begin editing as soon as we get the G5? I mean, will the Mac come equipped so that I can get the signal from the DV recorder to the Mac and back again to the DV recorder? What do I need to check for to make sure I have all the hardware I need to get started? We probably will use Final Cut pro as the editing program. Please, any advice and direction will be greatly appreciated...also if you have any sources to purchace from...thanks
JK47

2006-01-21, 12:31

What kind of editing will you be doing? If you're doing fairly basic editing with FC Pro, you'll easily be able to get by with a 2.3 Ghz machine. Just make sure you load it with RAM.
smokii

2006-01-21, 19:14

Thanks, JK, I'm pretty sure it will be simple editing. It basically boils down to capturing the live service on the DV and sending it to the workstation to edit the program down to a 30 minute TV program. We will be adding an intro and an exit probably. That is about all unless we might break in and add a clip of music or tapes and books available to order. So apparently the quad isn't particularly the best route?!? What would you suggest as a recommendation for RAM? Was considering 2 GB but open for suggestions. Also will we need additional hardware to import the video from the DV recorder? Thanks...
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-01-21, 19:25

I'm not sure what your total budget is, but if you're only editing DV footage why not just get Final Cut Express HD and put the money you were going to spend on FCP towards more RAM.