Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

applecare protection plan...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
applecare protection plan...
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-01-18, 19:28

I've heard that it's recommended to buy the applecare protection plan when buying a laptop. Is this true, $349 is quite a bit to add to the total cost of the powerbook itself for my budget as a teenager who's paying for everything . What would ya'll do?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-18, 21:17

You can wait until the end of the first year of ownership before buying it.

AppleCare or some sort of insurance for any notebook computer is a must. It's simply too fragile. I mean, think about it. You're lugging a whole computer all over the place, jostling it and banging it wherever you go.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-01-18, 22:08

Could I put it under the Homeowner's Insurance? My trombone is protected under that lol, it doesn't sound like it wouldn't work... I mean, surely I could put a laptop under Homeowner's, especially if I can put my trombone under it! Am I right, or am I not?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-18, 22:21

Actually, I think you can. I've never done that myself, but I seem to recall reading about others doing that. Have your parents contact an insurance agent.
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-01-18, 22:25

No, but we're just looking into options right now. I'd rather just put the laptop under homeowner's, It'll last forever, and will help me get a new one if a meteor hits our homeoffice and shatters every piece of equipment... or the more probable, theft. So I think I've gotten some very nice, sufficient options. Thank ya Brad, you've been a big help!
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-01-18, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Hack
No, but we're just looking into options right now. I'd rather just put the laptop under homeowner's, It'll last forever, and will help me get a new one if a meteor hits our homeoffice and shatters every piece of equipment... or the more probable, theft. So I think I've gotten some very nice, sufficient options. Thank ya Brad, you've been a big help!
I have all of my computers on my Homeowner's policy. A total of $10,000 in coverage. The initial coverage was included in the basic policy and I pay extra, very little extra, for the additional coverage. As a matter of fact I almost used it on my PowerBook after a blackout messed it up. It is back working now except for the USB ports which can get flakey at times (once a week).

Mile 1
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-18, 22:43

yeah, I don't recall how... but my laptop is (was?) covered under homeowners... but I'm fairly sure it only applied if the laptop was stolen... not if it needed a repair... but I dunno...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-01-18, 23:00

I don't think your homeowner's insurance would cover repairs (as Paul said). But AppleCare wouldn't cover theft, so get both.

Believe me, it's well worth the money to get it. My wife is using a 2.5 year old ibook. We needed a new AC adapter for it about 2 months ago. Walked over to the Apple Store (I live across the street from it) and left with a new one. My 3 year old basestation went down. It was also covered under the ibooks warranty.

It also adds a fair bit to the computer's resale value if you've got it. Wait until near the end of your year and get it. You can get an educational discount on it too. It's like $249 for a powerbook.
ZogDog

2005-01-18, 23:24

Another thing, Homeowners insurance, correct me if I am wrong, only protects it against incidents that occur in the home. What if you are at school or on a trip and something happens? You could lie about it and say it happened at home, but that could be a problem if you really aren't at home and you have issues.

Another thing, like torifile posted, your not going to see any routine repairs or tech support with your insurance company. I also say get both. Home owners isn't that expensive per year and Apple Care sums up the entire Apple experience, perfection!

..::| www.zogdog.com |::..
rafdog5

2005-02-02, 18:53

im kinda confused, you can wait a year to buy applecare on a laptop and then extend for three years, or just extend an extra two?
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-02, 19:26

extra two
autodata
hustlin

2005-02-02, 22:37

I mentioned it in the other thread, but I'll mention it again. I've needed to use applecare for every powerbook I've owned. In fact, just last week I used it to get the logic board and optical drive replaced on my 2yo powerbook. It typically takes less than a working week to send it in and get it back.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-02-02, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
I mentioned it in the other thread, but I'll mention it again. I've needed to use applecare for every powerbook I've owned. In fact, just last week I used it to get the logic board and optical drive replaced on my 2yo powerbook. It typically takes less than a working week to send it in and get it back.
Just be glad all the parts you needed were in-stock with apple... Apple is great at shipping out warranty parts when needed, but when there's a back-order -- well lets just say it's not a positive time spent dealing with apple.

(trust me...)

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
runner91786

2005-02-04, 02:43

Yeah, along with the whole "homeowners will not cover repairs" you should remember the batterys in these things are suck, and after a year, you will want another one. With applecare, this = free...without = US $149, so yeah well worth it there especially if your lookin at keeping it more than two years. Plus as everyone else mentioned, this is a powerbook, its mobile. Enough said. All mobile things are much more susceptible to damage and therefore will need repairing. The computer industry also is not perfect and could very easily have defective hardware that will go bad after the 1 years wear. Avg laptop repair is around $450, APP is much less. If that doesn't convince you, I guess your the same as the people that come back to my work (Best Buy) and rant about how their computer broke after 1.5 years. "So you didn't get the service plan?" "No, it was too much money" "Are you planning to get it this time?" Of COURSE!" my $0.01999
p-trick

2005-02-04, 08:01

So if I get it right:
- an average repair is more expensive than applecare
- changing batteries every year is almost as expensive as applecare

Leaves me with the question why some people don't have applecare...
unless the battery-replacement isn't as free and easy to get as it seems

And another question: is every repair part of applecare, or are there exceptions?
AllieBat

2005-02-05, 23:01

Why would not get apple care right away if when you wait until the end of the first year of your purchase and then buy apple care, it only extends the warranty 2 more years?
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-02-05, 23:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieBat
Why would not get apple care right away if when you wait until the end of the first year of your purchase and then buy apple care, it only extends the warranty 2 more years?
Err... what?

With applecare... 3 years parts/labour. Without, 1 year parts/labour.
Both start from the day you buy the mac.
rickolis

2005-02-06, 00:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Hack
I've heard that it's recommended to buy the applecare protection plan when buying a laptop. Is this true, $349 is quite a bit to add to the total cost of the powerbook itself for my budget as a teenager who's paying for everything . What would ya'll do?
are you a student? if so go to the apple educational store, APP is 30% cheaper.
elvia

2005-02-06, 18:12

I bought a G4 powerbood on ebay, when I got it, it had usb issues and a verticale line on the monitor, from top to bottom.
I sent it to apple only asking about the usb issues. when I got it back, they replaced the monitor also, in addition to repairing the usb issues. I had purchased the applecare right after I got it
Best money I ever spent
hl tan

2005-03-07, 04:56

This is my post in imac g5 / osx questions:

Bought my iMac G5 with an AppleCare. It broke down twice after 3 weeks with a logic board problem (bought it for 7 months). I had terrible time with AppleCare as they said that I did not register but the local office confirmed that I did (I reside in Singapore). Hence, little assistance was rendered and the customer service just sweeps you aside without assistance (if you call that customerservice?). I managed to contact someone in the local office (after much difficulty) and was later informed that there's a worldwide shortage of logic board! Hence, my iMac cannot be serviced for weeks (using my laptop now)!!!!

This is my 1st Apple product and to experience such horrndous aftersales service and product in the 1st place, I will consider twice purchasing another Apple product.

vineswingman: do find out if your AppleCare service is as bad as mine (Singapore).
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-03-07, 11:14

Hey buddy, no need to cross post...
jimdad

2005-03-07, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner91786
Yeah, along with the whole "homeowners will not cover repairs" you should remember the batterys in these things are suck, and after a year, you will want another one.
Sorry, I may have misunderstood you but why would you want to replace the battery in your machine after a year?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-03-07, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
I've owned two PowerBooks & both of them have gone in for repair (Ti500 HD died, 1.25GHz AlBook developed the dreaded white spots) before the first year's warranty was up. My first laptop I only held on to for a little over two years so with my second laptop I took a gamble. The credit card I used to purchase my AlBook automagically doubles the manufacturer's warranty so I have in effect a 2 year warranty on my laptop. If anything goes wrong between years 1 & 2 I get it repaired by Apple and pay for the repairs on the same credit card I bought the laptop. Then I file a claim and the CC company wipes the repair bill from my card.

Hopefully I won't have to send my AlBook in again because even with the protection it sounds like it could get as hairy as some fixes are through AppleCare.

[edit]
I also have my laptop covered on my homeowner's policy. This way if it gets stolen or destroyed by lightning, etc. (anything but flood ) the insurance company pays for a replacement. The theft/damage can happen anywhere, it isn't limited to damage caused while my laptop is at home. It's quite cheap (especially compared to homeowner's insurance in general) so if you're paying homeowner's insurance you might want to add your computing equipment onto your policy.