User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Purchase Advice (replacing dual G4; buy a dual G5 now or wait for Intel?)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Purchase Advice (replacing dual G4; buy a dual G5 now or wait for Intel?)
del-uks

2005-08-10, 06:36

Hi there,

Since the Intel switch has been announced, I'm really not sure what to think about the current line of Apple products anymore...

Anyway, I'm a sound enginneer and I need more power to finish my current work. The Dual 1.25 G4 I'm using is getting a bit old now and I've been considering getting external DSP hardwares in the wait of Intel based Mac (or many other solutions, actually)... but today a local Apple dealer has made an offer with the last Dual 2.5 G5 PowerMac they got in stock for about $ 2'390.00 each.

I'm really tempted...

Let me know what you think...
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-08-10, 06:50

that's not really a particularly outstanding deal. nothing to make it a "can't turn down" situation

New updated powermacs are likely coming within 2 months if you can wait. PowerPCs will likely be in PowerMacs for at least a year more so the intel switch really shouldn't affect you purchasing decision for a long time.

I'm not too familiar with sound engineering but I'm curious as to how the Dual 1.25 G4 can't fullfill your needs anymore. I know sound engineers who use much less powerful machines and get by pretty easily. What exactly are you doing and can you wait a couple months for better products/deals?
del-uks

2005-08-10, 07:13

Maybe I should precise that I live in Switzerland and the current price for a new 2 x 2.3 G5 PM is about $ 2'700.00 here.

I'm using Pro Tools LE with a DIGI 002 and I usually work in 96KHz / 24 bit, number of tracks depends on projects (max. 32) and I use a lot of CPU hungry plug-ins...

The current line of PowerMac has been here since april 27... do you really think they gonna update the line in 2 months?
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-08-10, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by del-uks
Maybe I should precise that I live in Switzerland and the current price for a new 2 x 2.3 G5 PM is about $ 2'700.00 here.

I'm using Pro Tools LE with a DIGI 002 and I usually work in 96KHz / 24 bit, number of tracks depends on projects (max. 32) and I use a lot of CPU hungry plug-ins...

The current line of PowerMac has been here since april 27... do you really think they gonna update the line in 2 months?
general theory is that AppleExpo in Paris in September has a very high chance of seeing new PowerMacs will dual core G5s. Of course, it's just speculation but recent announcements by IBM show the processors are available and its just a matter of time before Apple uses them.

I didn't realize PowerMacs were that expensive overthere.

Despite that, I still think it would be wise to wait a bit if you can get by. If not, then by all means go for it. If it'll allow you to do your job better and more efficiently its a worthwhile investment no matter what
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-10, 14:50

We have a whole forum dedicated to questions like this, appropriately titled Purchasing Advice! I'm moving your thread there now. Be sure to browse other discussions there too, as surely someone else has had the same or similar questions at some point.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.