AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Where's the speculation on the Mini?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Where's the speculation on the Mini?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2006-01-31, 13:32

Seems like with all the hoopla surrounding the new Intel iMacs and MacBook Pros, we've seemed to forgotten all about the baby of the family--the Mac mini.
(Well at least I don't see any in the past few weeks)
Obviously it'll go Intel as well, but could we possibly see a duo core in it? Would a single core be much of a jump from the G4 chip?
I'd love to see a duo with a decent video card. There's something more appealing about a sleek cinema display paired with a mini vs. the relatively bulky Lenoesque iMac.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-01-31, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo
Obviously it'll go Intel as well, but could we possibly see a duo core in it?
I don't think Apple would want to do that. Would shift it too close to the iMac.

Quote:
Would a single core be much of a jump from the G4 chip?
Sure. It's not just the CPU; the entire architecture would be better. PCIe, better GPU (X1300?), Serial ATA hard drive, etc.

Quote:
I'd love to see a duo with a decent video card.
It's gonna happen.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2006-01-31, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
I don't think Apple would want to do that. Would shift it too close to the iMac.
Yeah, I think we will see a Core Solo in the mini at first, or a low clocked Duo, like 1.66Ghz.
JohnnyTheA

2006-01-31, 15:35

The mini was based on the equivalent ibook when then mini was released (ATI 9200 I think). I would expect the Intel Mini to basically the same as Intel iBook. Same processor, video card, RAM, etc... UNLESS they do what I hope, which would be to put some kinda DVR capability in, making the Mini into a Tivo...

Johnny
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2006-01-31, 15:38

I'm really hoping the Mini gets DVR functionality. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Well, maybe not that fast, but I'd definitely look into it..
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2006-01-31, 17:38

As an option maybe, unless they plan on adding DVR ability, and keep the same price point.

Plus you are limited to the HDD space of laptop drives... most people would want a lot of space for a DVR. Though, nothing would be stopping you from adding an external HDD to the mix.

Personally, I'd like to see it have a price drop over getting DVR functionality.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Reid

2006-01-31, 18:49

Quote:
The mini was based on the equivalent ibook when then mini was released (ATI 9200 I think).
Actually, it was based on the eMac. I'm guessing the Mac mini will stay an entry level computer -- with a Core Solo processor and without DVR functionality -- but will add Front Row and a remote just in case.

I also think there's room, especially now that Apple has a greater array of processors to choose from, for a wider form factor desktop similar in height to a Mac mini with a Core Duo in it. Mac Pro, when it comes out, will presumably have a higher-end processor (Conroe?) to differentiate itself. (I always thought the main reason Apple didn't release a midrange headless desktop wasn't for fear of cannibalizing iMac sales, but Power Macs, since they shared the same processor for so much of their lives.)

This $999 dream system could use desktop-sized hard drives and RAM to increase storage space and keep down the cost, and use the optical audio out they have on iMacs. It would also have a single expansion slot, into which you could plug any of an array of cards -- such as a Miglia AlchemyTV, for example. And, conveniently, it would be exactly the same width as your average stereo component, making it an even more natural living-room PC than the Mac mini. What could they call this not-quite a mini, not quite a Pro Mac? Uh, how about Mac.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-31, 20:16

Ha...Reid, I drew this over a year ago (before the Mac mini was announced at MWSF 2005). Sounds close to what you're talking about.

I don't like the appearance and I'd change about 11 things, but still...

MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-01-31, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo
Obviously it'll go Intel as well, but could we possibly see a duo core in it?
No. No. NO.

I'm doubting it even has a small chance for the iBook. It's about a 1/10000000000 chance for the mini right now.
ZachPruckowski

2006-01-31, 21:08

Core Anything Intel beats a G4. I agree with the idea of a straight-up Mac, but Mac vs. iMac isn't much of a difference in terms of name.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2006-01-31, 21:25

I say yes, yes, yes to Mini speculation! Another question is when will the Intel Mini happen? My completely baseless and uninformed speculation is sometime at or around the beginning of summer.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-31, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Ha...Reid, I drew this over a year ago (before the Mac mini was announced at MWSF 2005). Sounds close to what you're talking about.

It's funny, because "back then," I thought the notion that they would simply call it "The Mac" was absurd.

And here we are, 18 months and an Intel transition later, and that's the most logical name for the mid-range desktop they'll hopefully introduce.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-31, 21:57

That's because I'm cool, and why you people should listen to me from the get-go.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-31, 22:07

Just remember our $1 dedicated video iPod bet, Paul. We're halfway there already...
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-01-31, 22:19

Quote:

I so wanted one of those when you first posted it. Damn it Scates. Thanks for bringing up massive disappointment again.
Buthidae

2006-02-01, 08:54

I reckon they'll release Mac Mini's with semi-decent video cards and Core Solo's. I'll then buy one, fill it with RAM, and run as fast as I can to my PC shop and buy a Core Duo!

Sweeeeet
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-01, 09:19

You think it'll be that easy?

If so, everyone will be doing that.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-02-01, 09:21

There'll barely be enough space in a Mac mini to fit a socketed CPU in there. They did it with the iMac, but I don't think the will with the Mac mini.
sk8since89

2006-02-01, 13:14

Quote:

That looks like a game console ! Cool.
Reid

2006-02-02, 11:26

Quote:

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I'm talking about. Nice touch with the cutout for sliding under a display.

This idea is so logical to all of us, there's no question that Apple has designed and priced out something similar. There must be some business reason they've not brought it to market. The only thing I can think of is that issue about cannibalizing sales from other models. And, although they could've done it with a single vs dual-core G5, with a multi-tiered line of Intel processors to choose from cannibalization should be less of an issue.

For a true media PC, I think a dual-core processor is important. Front Row drags almost to unusability on my iMac G5 if there's a video transcoding task (H.264) going on in the background.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-02, 16:40

I think Apple will introduce a mid-range headless desktop sometime this year.

Remember, it was only last year they showed any renewed commitment to the headless desktop at all with the Mac mini. They've been waiting for the Intel transition to introduce a mid-range desktop.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2006-02-04, 10:24

Any idea how a solo core Intel Mini would compare to a G5 iMac?
Would they roughly net out in terms of processing power?

If so, maybe a Mini w/20" display would be sweeter than my current 20" iMac G5 config.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-04, 10:32

Those are the very things I'm taking into account, and wondering about.

I know I'm not getting a MacBook Pro (too expensive, and I've learned my lesson on overbuying).

So I'm waiting on the new iBook, just to see what's what. Curious to see if it's really slimmer, has a widescreen, iSight, etc.

However, if it's not a fairly significant jump up from my Rev. A 15" PowerBook (1.25GHz, etc.), I will indeed be looking at a 17" iMac Core Duo

Or, for the first time ever, seriously considering a Mac mini (Intel-based), paired with the 20" Cinema (using that 20" iMac @ 1680x1050 at my work these past few weeks has spoiled me completely...and I certainly wouldn't mind having that same "drive-in movie screen" experience here at home).

I'm really not expecting the iBook or mini to have anything but a Core Solo. However, it's probably still a better performer than the G4 (bus, cache, etc.), so none of the above three options are out of the question at this time. I figure they're all going to be roughly in that $1,299 ballpark, and I'll assess them all once the other two go Intel...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-02-04 at 10:46.
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-02-06, 18:15

Not sure where this post really fits, but it does kinda relate to the Mac Mini "medi hub" realm, so this is probably as good as any place.

I stumbled on this while looking for something else, and I just thought it was intersting.
http://www.leviton-lin.com/LEAP/default.asp
It's basically like Front Row, except wired to your whole house. Even the icons seemed to be similar - not that the camera, music notes, and movie-chopper-thing aren't pretty standard, but that was still my initial reaction.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-02-06, 21:15

The Media Mini would most likely be shaped like most DVD players or other A/V hardware components. It would also work as a Airport Express and be able to link to other Macs wirelessly.

Here's my rendition: (a better name would be the Media Mini or something like that, but The Mac is what got on the picture)

It features an iPod like interface built into the front so you can play music without turning the Mac on. It supports Front Row via a remote.

Supports up to a Terabyte of storage for DVR functionality with hot swapping HDDs

Last edited by World Leader Pretend : 2006-02-07 at 18:21.
trevo

2006-02-06, 22:49

Oooh I like that! At first it reminded me of Xserves.

I would definitely love to see one of those under my Cinema Display.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2006-02-06, 23:15

I just hope they keep the same price point with the mini, regardless of the intel chip that it gets.

It's curious that they havn't officially updated the specs yet too. Did Apple just forget about it !?

A good feature that Apple could implement for the mini would be cases that came off without a putty knife. And perhaps exchangable shells. So you could have a black mini or a white mini, and of course third parties could develop blues, greens, transclucent etc.

As for what kind of chip, Im very curious to see if Apple will start integrating intels older chips into their lineup rather than just sticking with the latest and greatest. A Pentium M would be a perfect fit for a mini (uneducated guess) but how expensive are they ? Would Apple even consider putting a Celeron in there ?
trevo

2006-02-07, 02:20

Celeron???
I don't think it would be cost effective to put older chips in the mini when there are newer ones available, unless there is a problem with a more recent chip.

There was speculation before that the DVR would be a creation that would be based on the mini. Therefore, the mini would stay 'just as a computer with frontrow added' and a new line (under a different name and sharing no relation to the mini) with DVR functionality.
Tom the Piper's son

2006-02-07, 03:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt O'Keyes
Celeron???
I don't think it would be cost effective to put older chips in the mini when there are newer ones available, unless there is a problem with a more recent chip.
Sorry Matt —inter alia— (nothing personal ) but I still see the Mini idea (includes form factor with non-evolving box and somewhat unclear specs) as a very cool way of getting rid of perfectly efficient but outdated chips...
We shall probably see other "silent" mini upgrades when Apple decides to use up its redundant chip stocks as stocks evolve and other Apple products move upwards (they must still be tons of last-generation G5 chips lying around!). Once again, silent updates are frustrating, but you can't complain if you are getting what is "printed on the box", and not the upgrade others got!
Of course, this does not mean Apple will not produce the sort of state-of-the-art home video/Hifi equipment we have been imaginating (and drooling over!), but we can hardly call these "Minis" or hope that Apple will maintain its minimal price/equipment approach: an Apple Media Centre will come as the ipod did: up-market equipment, Ipods are still the amongst most expensive in the market and still selling like hell.
The Media Centre will use the latest available Intel technology and will therefore not be cheap, the Mini will however continue to be a bottom-line —but highly desirable— product.
I can't see Apple canabilising its premium top-notch market with a USD 500 machine!
I think the Mini is great value for money, and will, over the years, show its whole potential as a Trojan Horse for Windows-Ipod users...
Please do continue producing amazing to-be Apple products they are great!
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-02-07, 14:14

The best time for Apple to release the iBook and Mac mini Intel would be in the Summer since the #1 buyers of said products would be students(Apple kinda screwed them last year).

and "The Mac"? I don't know....I think Apple likes to move people towards the iMac after they "grow up" from the mini.

But if Apple feels "secure" enough. They will do it.

But what will make "The Mac" different enough from the mini and the iMac?

No DVR. that's another product.

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...