Favorite quick snacks?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Favorite quick snacks?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-11-22, 14:16

I just had a nice snack of triscuits and cheddar cheese. It was tasty. And really quick to prepare with little clean up. I was thinking that I need more snacks like this. Here are the "rules":

1) Cannot use more than 1 utensil in the preparation of the snack. That is, if you use a knife to cut the cheese, you can't use another utensil to eat it.
2) No more than one dish should be sullied by the snack.
3) It doesn't involve the stove/oven/microwave.

I'm LAZY when it comes to eating so the easier the better. Post your ideas here! (this sounds like a thread windswept would make except I don't have 15 checkboxes for you to choose from. )

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-11-22, 14:27

Reeses Cups.

Mmmmmmm.
MagSafe

2006-11-22, 14:31

Toast or Ice Cream
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2006-11-22, 14:32

Donuts, powdered sugar. Yummy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Reeses Cups.
Good thing those are only available in the US. Otherwise, I'd be 6' by now. Wide, that is.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-11-22, 14:36

Triscuits and cheese. Yep. I'll use a cheese slice if there's no cheddar around; makes the cleanup even easier.

Big ass hunk of beef jerky is the best though. Tastes great, no mess, and of course IT'S MEAT. Best snack ever.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-11-22, 14:37

There's such snack that absolutely requires no preparation, no clean up, no hassle beyond getting the snack.

It's called Apples. Perhaps pears. Or daresay I say bananas or oranges (a bit effort in throwing away that peel, but hey worth it)

Scandalous!
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-11-22, 14:38

I prefer bananas!

InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-11-22, 14:47

Ritz crackers and peanut butter.

Or a giant bag of chips. No utensils needed.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-11-22, 14:47

My all-time favorite snack (although I don't have the ingredients very often) is slices of Ohio baby swiss on Wisconsin summer sausage (use the same knife for the meat and cheese). Mmm. Add in some crackers if you like, but it's just dandy without 'em, too.

Also, this time of year, I'm a *huge* fan of apples with those little Brach's caramel squares. Alternate bites, and it's just like a caramel apple, but without the mess.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-11-22, 15:02

Kudos!

I'm also an Oreo fiend.
¡Damned!

2006-11-22, 15:07

Besides Triscuits & cheese I also like either those long stick pretzels or sesame seed covered breaksticks dipped in Schuler's Bar Cheese. No utensils required.

Actually, I like just about anything paired with cheese.

I'm also fond of crunchy peanut butter and celery, and I'm never without a good spicy salsa and a bag of nice thick tortilla chips.

And Ruffles with French Onion dip. So nasty. So good.

So it goes.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-11-22, 15:10

Has anyone else here had a sandwich which is nothing more than two slices of bread with a couple slices of deli meat and perhap a mustard? No utensils required. (assuming that the mustard is from a squeeze bottle)
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-11-22, 15:11

Saltines and OJ. Don't ask me why, I love the combo, have since I was wee.

Oreos. Quadruple stuffed are the best.

Um... hmm. Gotta give a shout out to Triscuit and cheese.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-11-22, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I'm LAZY when it comes to eating so the easier the better. Post your ideas here! (this sounds like a thread windswept would make except I don't have 15 checkboxes for you to choose from. )

Haha.

Okay, I do have a suggestion, and will make it despite the fact that it breaks your rules.

It requires 'some' preparation in advance, but once that preparation is done, it'll be smooth sailing later.

You pick a cheese, say, colby longhorn. Using a grater, you grate the entire cheese into a container with a lid for storage in the fridge. So, once the grating is done one time, you are good to go for many snacks. (OR... you can buy pre-grated cheese at the supermarket, undoubtedly laced with copious preservatives. )

At snacktime, take a tortilla - either corn or flour - sprinkle with grated cheese, put on a paper plate, and microwave. In this case, you have *no* utensil whatsoever, and a plate that you can throw away.

Or, if you want this cheese crisp to actually be *crisp*, then you put the tortilla on a baking sheet, and either bake or broil till the cheese is melted and the tortilla edges look crispy.

If you are in an office, with no access to microwave or oven, you could eat rice crackers with either peanut butter, almond butter or cashew butter. If you have no fridge, then you'll have to stick to the kind of peanut butter that doesn't need refrigeration. The good quality nut butters all need refrigeration since they don't have preservatives.

Or you could eat plain rice cakes with nothing on them, if you're watching your waistline.

Really though, cheese and fruit (like melons) together are a tasty snack. Also fairly nutritious. Of course, melons would require preparation in advance (slicing and de-seeding), so if you're *really* lazy, you could stick with apples and cheese. Somehow, the thought of 'bananas' and cheese is less appealing. (However, if I had said "*more* appealing", that would have been a nice pun. )

Also, made ahead of time and refrigerated, celery stalk pieces filled with cream cheese is nice. Deviled eggs also nice, though a bit more troublesome to make in advance.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-11-22, 16:01

Yeah, I like 709's crunchy peanut butter and celery.

You could use the celery stalks to scoop the peanut butter out of the jar.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-11-22, 16:04

Chive and onion sour cream + potatoe chips.
ironlung

2006-11-22, 16:09

chips and salsa anyone?
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-11-22, 16:29

Philly Cream cheese with Jalepeno Jelly on top and scooped with Ritz, Trisquits or Wheat Thins. Tasty!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-11-22, 17:04

For a variation on zippy's, cream cheese + chili sauce scooped with crackers (I like Wheat Thins for this one).
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-11-22, 17:42

Another quick snack I love is a pink taco. If I eat it a certain way, my wife will usually have some sausage afterwards.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-11-22, 17:42

Just about any kind of chip (potato, corn, whatever) with french onion dip.

And, butter on potato bread. No toasting or heating, just spread the butter on the bread. Orgasmically good.

You ask me for a hamburger.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-11-22, 17:46

Wheat Thins with peanut butter! Wheat thins have much better texture and complex taste compared to other crackers. The peanut butter is a great addition. Mmmm... Mmmm...
iThink therefore iMac

2006-11-22, 18:16

Pretzels dipped in peanut butter...no utensils and no cleanup.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2006-11-22, 18:41

I'm with you in the Triscuit and cheddar camp, torifile. It just doesn't get much better. But leave the knife in the drawer, and stock up on some Cracker Barrel Cracker Cuts. They're exactly the size of a Triscuit! Perfection!

Who knew you could buy cheese on Amazon? They're out of control!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-11-22, 19:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Another quick snack I love is a pink taco. If I eat it a certain way, my wife will usually have some sausage afterwards.

Last edited by Mac+ : 2006-11-22 at 20:41.
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2006-11-22, 20:20

Keebler Deluxe Grahams and extra-crunchy peanut butter. Repeat as necessary.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-11-22, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
It requires 'some' preparation in advance, but once that preparation is done, it'll be smooth sailing later.

You pick a cheese, say, colby longhorn. Using a grater, you grate the entire cheese into a container with a lid for storage in the fridge. So, once the grating is done one time, you are good to go for many snacks. (OR... you can buy pre-grated cheese at the supermarket, undoubtedly laced with copious preservatives. )

At snacktime, take a tortilla - either corn or flour - sprinkle with grated cheese, put on a paper plate, and microwave. In this case, you have *no* utensil whatsoever, and a plate that you can throw away.

Or, if you want this cheese crisp to actually be *crisp*, then you put the tortilla on a baking sheet, and either bake or broil till the cheese is melted and the tortilla edges look crispy.
I had a similar recipe that was a favorite of mine when I was living on my own. Now that I'm in China, I have virtually no "quick snack" options beyond fruit I can keep in my room. Everything I eat is made by someone else, either in the cafeteria or in a restaurant.

Anyway, I'd just cut three or four slices of cheese (cheddar worked well) and arrange them slightly off-center in a tortilla, then roll up the tortilla. Stick the tortilla in the microwave for about a minute, and the cheese will melt and the tortilla will be warm. Actually, it usually took two minutes for me, but I normally made at least two tortillas. Then I just popped a jar of salsa and dipped the tortillas in it. The tortillas are long, and perfectly suited to scooping up hard-to-reach salsa without the need to pour the salsa into a dish.

So yeah, like Windswept, this technically violates your "no microwave" rule, but it's easier than hers No grating the cheese in preparation, and it only dirties one dish - the plate. But then, your wife may yell at you if she sees you double/triple/quadruple/etc dipping the tortilla in the salsa. I was lucky; I lived on my own so I didn't have to worry about eating food directly out of the package. You could always just use a spoon for the salsa.
Partial
Stallion

2006-11-22, 21:13

Fresh Pinneapple. Requires a pretty darn sharp knife, though.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-11-22, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
Fresh Pinneapple. Requires a pretty darn sharp knife, though.
Seconded. Have you ever had a real pineapple that is in season? Delicious!
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-11-22, 22:17

Maynard's Wine Gums! Yummy!