Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Refurb Apple TV available soon - $249

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Refurb Apple TV available soon - $249
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-05-21, 06:13

I just spotted the above image on the Apple refurb store. It's not available right now, but now we know it'll be $249.

I'm still not interested, but I'm curious -- does the $50 cut make a difference for anybody here? Is anybody going to buy one now that you can get it $50 cheaper?

Interestingly, it shows up on the refurb iPod and refurb Mac pages. It's the only product that shows up on both.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
bender0069

2007-05-21, 08:17

Not here! Actually I was just thinking about this last night. I have an old click wheel iPod, the one with the monochrome screen. As far as itunes goes, I've only bought 1 TV series on it, before I knew that when you backed it up to DVD you couldn't play it on a regular DVD player. So, unless that come out with an update or legal program that will let me save my DVD collection to the apple TV or my iTunes program, I won't be getting one anytime soon. But, any new ipod that come out, I might consider.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-05-21, 08:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender0069 View Post
Not here! Actually I was just thinking about this last night. I have an old click wheel iPod, the one with the monochrome screen. As far as itunes goes, I've only bought 1 TV series on it, before I knew that when you backed it up to DVD you couldn't play it on a regular DVD player. So, unless that come out with an update or legal program that will let me save my DVD collection to the apple TV or my iTunes program, I won't be getting one anytime soon. But, any new ipod that come out, I might consider.
There are already a couple programs to copy your DVDs to your Mac. Handbrake is my favorite.
bender0069

2007-05-21, 08:47

Thank you! I didn't realize that! Of course I've only been a mac owner for 2 months. Still learning
RichieB

2007-05-21, 13:33

Also, the latest version of Handbrake has "AppleTV" as a preset option for ripping your dvd over. I tried it and it works really well. The video and sound quality were maintained... to the point where when I needed to pause the movie for a few minutes, I reached for my dvd remote instead of my appletv remote!

Here tonight, we have, ah, apple and orange. We all different, but in the end, we all fruit.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-05-21, 13:52

Once they add the ability to work as a PVR somehow, I'll buy one. Until then I'm not that interested.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-05-21, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Once they add the ability to work as a PVR somehow, I'll buy one. Until then I'm not that interested.
That sounds great, but I don't see them ever adding that feature -- certainly not as long as they're selling movies and TV shows. It's a shame, but It's just never going to happen.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
ccoulson

2007-05-21, 17:40

Think this could foretell a product update?
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-05-21, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoulson View Post
Think this could foretell a product update?
No.
¡Damned!

2007-05-21, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
I don't no.
Fixed that for you there, with your spelling and everything!
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-05-21, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Fixed that for you there, with your spelling and everything!
How about...

Quote:
Nobody fucking knows. Yes, eventually it will be replaced, but it's to early now.
¡Damned!

2007-05-21, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
How about...

Nobody fucking knows. Yes, eventually it will be replaced, but it's to early now.
Fair enough. Glad to see I wasn't too off with the spelling gag.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2007-05-21, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Fair enough. Glad to see I wasn't too off with the spelling gag.
meh.
rasmits
rams it

2007-05-21, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
That sounds great, but I don't see them ever adding that feature -- certainly not as long as they're selling movies and TV shows. It's a shame, but It's just never going to happen.
Well, since it's quite obvious that Apple TV can accept software plugins, I wouldn't be too surprised to see an Elgato plugin sometime (either hacked or first party).

Then there are other projects like iRecord that could definitely be hacked into Apple TV pretty easily.

I'm surprised it's taken so long, actually.

You had me at asl
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-05-21, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
Then there are other projects like iRecord that could definitely be hacked into Apple TV pretty easily.
Software-wise, sure. But where's the FireWire port?
rasmits
rams it

2007-05-21, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Software-wise, sure. But where's the FireWire port?
Palm, meet face.