Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Power Mac G5 question -- for those who have one

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Power Mac G5 question -- for those who have one
mkpub

2004-11-16, 15:27

Hi,

I have a general question re the Power Mac G5 (dual 2.5): I'm leaning strongly toward getting one, but I'm wondering if there are currently still software compatibility problems that would make it wiser to hold off a bit longer.

I've heard about problems with the latest version of VPC, for example. I will use the machine for general text and layout work for now, but I want to get into video editing (which is the main reason I'd like to get it).

If you're a current G5 user, what current shortcomings should I be aware off?

Thanks for your help.

M
Tuttle

2004-11-16, 15:33

I have no use for VPC so I have no idea about it.

However, I've had my dual 2gig for over a year now and have come across no problems with any software ever relating to the G5. I've never tried to run any old Mac OS apps in Classic, though.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2004-11-16, 21:29

I've had a Dual 2.0 for about 6 months and have had only 1 software issue on it. I had issues installing the Perl DBI/DBD modules on it.
I do not use VPC on the G5, thank God.
telekon

2004-11-17, 08:32

I have a G5 1.8GHzDP with VPC7 installed and I have to be honest and say that it's pants. Everything about it is SSLLLOOOWWW
It's usable for websurfing etc. but for anything which required processing power, save your money and buy the cheapest PC you can find - anything will outrun this disappointment.
The G5 however is remarkable. I strongly recommend one.
UnixMac

2004-11-17, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpub
If you're a current G5 user, what current shortcomings should I be aware off?

Thanks for your help.

M
None.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2004-11-17, 21:53

If your only beef is with VPC then get a cheap-ass PC. They cost the same and run better. If you absolutely must have VPC you will undoubtedly suffer the suck-assness of it's slowness. Walmart has PCs in the $400-$500 range that are also suck-ass but much less so than VPC. There will be patches available to speed things along, but Microhard will be very busy writing patches for the latest XP installment and may not put much time into VPC.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-11-19, 13:07

One thing that hasn't been emphasized enough I think, is that you may not need VPC or any kind of PC at all. Can you be specific about why you think you would need VPC? The reason I ask is because it's very likely that solutions already exist on the Mac side, meaning you won't need PC emulation. As far as I know, there are no "software compatibility problems". That sounds like something MS's PR department would generate.
mkpub

2004-11-20, 13:19

Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies; regarding the comments about why I'm worrying about VPC: I actually only brought up VPC because that it is a software that several G5 users seem to have problems with. Personally, I can't think of a use for it (for now), so whether that has probs or not ... it's not my prob. I only mentioned it as an example... and as a bad one at that.

Judging by your responses, however, looks like I have nothing to worry about when I go that route now instead of waiting a bit longer for the next gen.

Thanks again.

M