User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

O2 boosts UK iPhone tariffs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
O2 boosts UK iPhone tariffs
wecallitfall

2008-01-29, 15:38

Just came across this, which reports O2 have finally made the rather expensive [but of course compulsory] iPhone tariffs actually worth the respective £35, £45 or £55 a month

Whats everyone think? Seeing as i plan to buy an iPhone in the next 3 months this is great news, its good they'll be upgrading all existing contracts too
Jason
Veteran Member

2008-01-29, 16:39

Slightly off topic, I guess but I live in a major city in the UK and I am a student. There are lots of students here with rich parents and everyone has a mobile. I also sit in bars, cafes, restaurants etc most days of the week both on the campus and in the city centre..

Since the iPhone was released here late last year, I have yet to see one single unit being used outside of a shop environment.

It does make me wonder who exactly is buying them?

Regards
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-29, 16:45

Honestly, I think that £35 is insanely expensive for the cheapest plan. If you paid slightly more (£40 or something) in Denmark, you'd get 5000 SMSs and 3000 minutes. This is of course without the data. However, the expense for the phone company WRT. data is not different from their expense WRT. a phone call (probably less).

Converted 07/2005.
electroniccpluralsleep

2008-01-29, 17:49

Where are you local to, Jason? The city I'm in is full of rich students and loads of them have got iPhones. O2 still need to offer more text messages for my liking.
Jason
Veteran Member

2008-01-29, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroniccpluralsleep View Post
Where are you local to, Jason? The city I'm in is full of rich students and loads of them have got iPhones. O2 still need to offer more text messages for my liking.
Sheffield.
wecallitfall

2008-01-29, 18:51

I have to agree with Jason, i am a student myself and spend a lot of time in Liverpool and surrounding area and know 1 "average joe" that owns an iPhone

I think the difference to the average phone pricing structure in the UK, i.e. £270 handset price rather than free + minimum 18 month [expensive] contract has done no favours
Jason
Veteran Member

2008-01-29, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecallitfall View Post

I think the difference to the average phone pricing structure in the UK, i.e. £270 handset price rather than free + minimum 18 month [expensive] contract has done no favours
That's how I think a lot of people feel. It annoys me that both companies insist on being so greedy.

Free phone + expensive contract = ok
Expensive phone + extremely cheap contract = ok

Expensive phone + expensive (18 month) contract = no chance.

£900 (approx) for a phone.
rasmits
rams it

2008-01-29, 20:57

Wow, now it's even that much a better deal than here in France (and that's saying something).

49€ (Roughly £35) gets you 240 minutes and 50 SMS, compared to 600/400 under the new O2 plan. What a huge difference...

Still, I saw two iPhones in the restaurant I work at on Saturday. Obviously I don't know if they were unlocked though.

edit: I don't speak German, but from what I can gather from the T-Mobile.de website, they have it even worse still. 49€ gets 100 minutes and 40 SMS. That's actually just sad. Is anyone in Germany that crazy?

You had me at asl

Last edited by rasmits : 2008-01-29 at 21:12.
electroniccpluralsleep

2008-01-30, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecallitfall View Post
I have to agree with Jason, i am a student myself and spend a lot of time in Liverpool and surrounding area and know 1 "average joe" that owns an iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
That's how I think a lot of people feel. It annoys me that both companies insist on being so greedy.

Free phone + expensive contract = ok
Expensive phone + extremely cheap contract = ok

Expensive phone + expensive (18 month) contract = no chance.

£900 (approx) for a phone.
Although this has been done to death, it warrants repeating: it's an awful lot more than a phone. I'd substitute the price of an 8GB iPod Touch from the £269, since you're not factoring in the iPod there at all. So you're looking at £70 for a great phone with a lot of exclusive features, like visual voice mail, a beautiful interface, an extensible software platform and more. Suddenly it doesn't seem too bad. If you can't afford the phone then don't buy it; it's a luxury electronics item - there has to be, at least initially, an air of exclusivity about it.
chris e boy

2008-01-31, 09:03

Much better.

It's convinced my dad to get one now instead of the [shudder] HTC Touch he was going to get.