User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")
Page 31 of 33 First Previous 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-03-14, 11:04

I read somewhere that Patrick Stewart had recently gotten interested in improvisational acting and that this influenced his acting style and character definition in Picard. Although that may explain some of the changes in the show, now I cannot find any primary sources for that info. So, take it with a big grain of salt.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-03-14, 12:51

Well, in season 2, I wasn’t sure it could be called “acting” rather than “standing somewhere a camera happens to catch”, so anything is a marked improvement.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-03-14, 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
We’ve also lost Picard as a diplomat. Stewart prefers to play him as an action hero now. That happened with the movies, almost thirty years ago now, so there’s probably not much to be done. Best to enjoy PIC S3 as a long-form sequel to Star Trek Nemesis.
Ouch. Even I know that's not good!

All my Trek-fan buddies despise that movie. It's the one thing they kinda seem to agree on. Is it the Rise of Skywalker of the Star Trek movies? Pointless and incoherent? Stupidly written and everything (including the kitchen sink) tossed into the mix, looking for a reason to exist?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-03-14, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post

All my Trek-fan buddies despise that movie. It's the one thing they kinda seem to agree on. Is it the Rise of Skywalker of the Star Trek movies? Pointless and incoherent? Stupidly written and everything (including the kitchen sink) tossed into the mix, looking for a reason to exist?
Yeah, soooo… the Nemesis production was so bad that it sent Tom Hardy, its main villain before the Nolan movies made him super famous, spiraling into a depression where he reportedly contemplated suicide. I'm not kidding! The official unofficial Star Trek wiki Memory Alpha puts it somewhat gently (link):
Quote:
Shortly after completing filming on Nemesis, Hardy had a physical and mental breakdown brought about from his drug and alcohol addiction. Although this breakdown cost him his marriage, it motivated him to clean up his act. He has been clean of both drugs and alcohol since 2005.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-03-14, 17:13

Quote:
To clarify, though, I'm saying it's more closely linked both in timeline and spirit to those four movies (Generations, First Contact, Resurrection, Nemesis) than to the series. So, in terms of timeline and character development, Nemesis is the closest to where Picard starts off.

Quote:
I can't comment on Star Wars, and resent that comparison.

Nemesis has a lot of problems, including having Troi as an entirely pointless rape victim, or having Picard drive a dune buggy because Patrick Stewart loves dune buggies, to the whole thing being incoherent, to the director kind of being an idiot.

Quote:
According to Burton and several other members of the main cast, Baird kept referring to LeVar as "Laverne" throughout production and thought the character of Geordi La Forge was an alien.
Like, no, you don't have to know as a random person that La Forge is not an alien. But when you're directing a movie where he's one of the main characters (forth in the credits!), maybe have a vague understanding of the character your film is portraying, and show some respect for the actor.

It's a bummer that this was the final TNG film (though that's not entirely the fault of this film; it was simply time for Star Trek to take a break). And now we basically get three seasons of… quasi-films. I wish they were edited differently (season 1 tries to do too much; cut out half the subplots and make it six episodes; season 2 is just dumb and way too long; season 3? Jury's out), but there's elements in the show that make me go "yeah, I missed this character". Worf, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Yeah, soooo… the Nemesis production was so bad that it sent Tom Hardy, its main villain before the Nolan movies made him super famous, spiraling into a depression where he reportedly contemplated suicide. I'm not kidding! The official unofficial Star Trek wiki Memory Alpha puts it somewhat gently (link):
While we're bashing that film and this may be related, there's a deleted scene where Troi is raped… again. The director seems oddly bummed the scene had to be cut out. Now, yes, the camera technique seems good. But Marina Sirtis was done dirty, again.

OTOH, another scene that was deleted IMHO should've been left in. It shows Picard and Data discussing family, loss, etc. And season 1 of Picard builds on this big time.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-03-14, 20:21

Quote:
Sounds less like being part of a shitty movie than screwing around with drugs/booze, and having that go sideways and become all-consuming (as is often the case).

I'm guessing combining the two - said shitty movie + doing drugs - didn't help one bit. I'll quit here while I'm ahead. Perhaps he should too.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2023-03-14, 22:08

Quote:
Is it the Rise of Skywalker of the Star Trek movies? Pointless and incoherent? Stupidly written and everything (including the kitchen sink) tossed into the mix, looking for a reason to exist?
In fairness, Rise of Skywalker had to pick up and close off from the absolute mess of The Last Jedi.

Sure Kennedy et al greenlit three billion-dollar franchise movies without an overall story plan, and deserve much of the blame.

But Rian Johnson knowingly signed on to produce the middle chapter of a trilogy. Then he discarded what came before and and left no great threat or big bad for the final chapter. While none of the sequel trilogy plays particularly well, I feel Rise of Skywalker was severely hamstrung by what came before.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-03-15, 18:25

Quote:
The Last of Us show, kind of like the game, I don't expect to revisit in the future, unless I want a refresher just before season 2 arrives. I doubt it has that much replay value, but the first time watching felt like a great experience. I feel like the same goes for a lot of movies I've loved and recommended over the years. Great to watch and enjoy the drama and suspense as it unfolds; probably never revisit it again after the story is over.
Nope. Scratch that, stupid.

I'm already watching The Last of Us now for a second time with my wife; it's her first time watching because she prefers to binge series like these over a few days instead of a few months.

In the first few episodes, there are already several reactions or lines of dialogs or very subtle foreshadowing hints that I didn't pick up on the first viewing. Having the full story in my recent memory including certain characters' backstories gives a lot more weight to a few looks and reactions and comments by certain individuals. Also, some of the heart-wrenching story beats are still nearly as intense upon second viewing. I'm looking at you, episode 3.

So, I'll revise my earlier assessment to suggest that The Last of Us probably doesn't have much replay value beyond a second viewing.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2023-04-30, 10:02

I said this on Mastodon the other day, but the most recent episode of Ted Lasso, The Strings That Bind Us was quite possibly my favorite episode of the entire series.

Had all of the emotional tugs that pull you in and advanced a bunch of story lines.

What a great show.

My wife and I also started watching The Last of Us this weekend and got two episodes in. I definitely think it's an interesting show and want to keep watching it. The episode about Bill & Frank was everything I could have wanted. Introduce new characters, show their backstory, advance the main plot line, and conclude the characters story line, all in one episode. Great storytelling so far.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
chucker

2023-04-30, 14:58

Recent Apple TV+ shows I've watched:
  • Extrapolations: 5/10. Some episodes (especially the second) are great, and I like the concept, but not most of the execution.
  • For All Mankind season 3: 7/10. The Danny/Jimmy stuff is just too much. I wish it had been more like The Martian.
  • Mythic Quest season 3: haven't finished yet. 6/10. Seasons 1 and 2 grabbed me more.
  • Shrinking season 1: 9/10.
  • Slow Horses season 2: 8/10.
  • Suspicion: 5/10. Feel like this started out strong, then had no idea where it was going.
  • Liaison: 5/10. Nothing to write home about, but not bad either.
  • Ted Lasso season 3: 9/10
  • The Last Thing He Told Me: 5/10. Nothing to write home about, but not bad either.

Oddly, even those 5/10 shows struck me as better-written than most recent Star Trek stuff.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-04-30, 19:16

For All Mankind - surprisingly addictive show

Mythic Quest season 3 - sucked

Slow Horses - season 2 was AWESOME

Ted Lasso season 3 - last 2eps were SO GOOD

Where is:

INVASION season 2

Severance season 2

WHY???:

The After Party season 2
(The first was cute, but a season 2?!)

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2023-05-01, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I said this on Mastodon the other day, but the most recent episode of Ted Lasso, The Strings That Bind Us was quite possibly my favorite episode of the entire series.
I know it's all played for laughs, but I couldn't shake the feeling that if it really happened in the real world, the "strings" thing would be utterly unacceptable sexual harassment by an employer....
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-05-01, 09:34

The dick string scene was hilarious.

Yes I have simple tastes.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-05-01, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Recent Apple TV+ shows I've watched:
  • Extrapolations: 5/10. Some episodes (especially the second) are great, and I like the concept, but not most of the execution.
  • For All Mankind season 3: 7/10. The Danny/Jimmy stuff is just too much. I wish it had been more like The Martian.
  • Mythic Quest season 3: haven't finished yet. 6/10. Seasons 1 and 2 grabbed me more.
  • Shrinking season 1: 9/10.
  • Slow Horses season 2: 8/10.
  • Suspicion: 5/10. Feel like this started out strong, then had no idea where it was going.
  • Liaison: 5/10. Nothing to write home about, but not bad either.
  • Ted Lasso season 3: 9/10
  • The Last Thing He Told Me: 5/10. Nothing to write home about, but not bad either.

Oddly, even those 5/10 shows struck me as better-written than most recent Star Trek stuff.
I thought Central Park was a solid 7/10, but animated musicals aren't for everyone.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2023-05-01, 11:38

For All Mankind is one of my favorite shows and I'm super excited to see where they go when it comes back.

Shrinking is hilarious.

Trying is also really good.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-05-01, 12:04

For some reason I’ve been enjoying Steven Van Zandt in Lilyhammer. YMMV.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2023-05-01, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
The dick string scene was hilarious.

Yes I have simple tastes.
Absolutely hilarious and I was dying during the entire scene.
chucker

2023-05-01, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I know it's all played for laughs, but I couldn't shake the feeling that if it really happened in the real world, the "strings" thing would be utterly unacceptable sexual harassment by an employer....
Yeah, deservedly so. This kind of stuff is best left to fiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I thought Central Park was a solid 7/10, but animated musicals aren't for everyone.
I tried a few times to get into it. I wonder if I just lack the connection to NYC. (Last time I was there, I was 15, and I enjoyed Chicago way more.)

I did, however, like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, so musicals do sometimes work for me.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-05-01, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Absolutely hilarious and I was dying during the entire scene.
“Next time we tie all these guys dicks to one guy’s dick…”

Reason enough to hope for season 4 right there…
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-05-01, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
“Next time we tie all these guys dicks to one guy’s dick…”

Reason enough to hope for season 4 right there…
Roy Kent is such a great character.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-23, 22:12

Netflix has an animated, multi-season series based on Ultraman. The animation style is remarkably lifelike, and it was pretty well acted; good voice casting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-05-24, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
For some reason I’ve been enjoying Steven Van Zandt in Lilyhammer. YMMV.
He’s a funny, engaging guy. Watch the YouTube clip of him inducting the Young Rascals into the Rock ‘n’ Roll Gall of Fame. That led to his gig on The Sopranos, which surely led to his involvement in this show.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-31, 21:00

Ted Lasso is finally complete.
What an entertaining high-budget Hallmark show!
I thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

Anonymous Coward

2023-05-31, 23:52

FBI: International: OK, forget that there is an FBI "Fly Team" based in Europe that is better and more effective than any other police force anywhere and happens to operate in areas where they are immediately understood by everyone while speaking American English.

So, they can run around waving guns and yelling "F. B. I." Would most Europeans even know what that means and what authority they have, just by shouting, "Stop. F. B. I."?

This show is already renewed for its third season.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-06-01, 03:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Ted Lasso is finally complete.
What an entertaining high-budget Hallmark show!
I thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

Every time I see pics or an interview with that tall, pretty blond woman, I think “have I missed out on something special?”
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-06-01, 05:05

Quote:
Every time I see pics or an interview with that tall, pretty blond woman, I think “have I missed out on something special?”
I would say "Yes you have" and "you have the advantage now of being able to stream the entire series so it all stays coherent" and "you don't have to know anything about soccer to enjoy the show" and "this one is filler because I'm getting tired of doing these" and "can I stop now?".

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-07-09, 02:12

I'm watching season 3 of The Witcher but it has not grabbed my interest. Maybe it's just me, ((but it's not))

chucker

2023-07-09, 06:35

Platonic is like maybe a 6.5/10. Rogen and Byrne have the right chemistry, but the writing isn't fantastic.

Silo doesn't seem to be mentioned here? 8/10, I would say. Honestly a bit predictable (maybe because I have a colleague who knew the books and couldn't keep his yap shut?), but intriguing enough to keep going.

Hijack is like a 6/10. Not bad, but also not excellent.

Disney took months to bring Single Drunk Female season 2 to German Disney+, then… deleted the entire show without a trace within a few days, having canceled it. What the hell.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2023-07-09, 08:37

We've been watching Platonic and it's been pretty entertaining, but you're right, Byrne and Rogen are great, but seems like the story line just isn't that great overall?

Still have Silo and Hijack on the list to watch.

I did see that The Morning Show is coming back and I'm kind of ambivalent on that. I'll watch it because I'm invested, but seems like it should have been a much different show. ( I know the "Me Too" rewrites changed a lot of what was planned) Still nothing about "For All Mankind" or "Severance" coming back.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-07-09, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I'm watching season 3 of The Witcher but it has not grabbed my interest. Maybe it's just me, ((but it's not))

Cavill got the short end of the stick, twice. Lost two pretty good gigs in one year. A shame. Seems like a nice enough guy. With all the DCU realignment/tweaking/rebooting going on, it’s funny they hired a new Superman, a 29-year-old, David Corenswet, who could easily pass for Henry Cavil’s younger brother. Who you trying to kid, James Gunn?