User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

iPod playin' in your car!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod playin' in your car!
nathanaaron02

2005-02-07, 16:52

I'd like to get everyone's opinion on the best set up (though not crazy in price) for hooking up my new iPod Photo (40GB) in my car, to play. I have a cassette deck, which right now I play my portable cd player in the car by using the cassette deck adapter. I know they have these for the iPod as well; but I hate lots of cords. I'm working really hard to go all wireless for most of my Apple stuff, in general. I realize I can't do this in my car, but what would be the best thing to get to play the iPod in the car, without lots of wires/mess from a recharger, as well as the tape deck adapter, etc. I've heard about the FM Transmitters, but have heard lots of mixed reviews on them? Thoughts? Experiences on any/all? Thanks!
Wraven

2005-02-07, 17:36

Uhhh,
Use the cassette adapter for your CD player? No extra cords, since it is already in your car (per your post). No cost, no fuss, MUCH better than FM transmitters in terms of sound quality.

Cheers,
Wraven
Baylor8306

2005-02-07, 17:47

I use an iTrip Mini for my iPod mini. It works great and I love it. I also have the Belkin TuneBase I think it is called so my Mini sits on a goose neck dock so it is up by the head unit. But I think the iTrip works really well.

(by the way, mine is green)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-07, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraven
Use the cassette adapter for your CD player?
I couldn't agree more.

I got a cassette adapter for my g/f to use and it works great. Since you're already going to have that cable hanging out, you might as well just swap it from your CD player to your iPod.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-02-07, 19:23

Buy the Griffen Smartdeck. It's awesome
ZogDog

2005-02-08, 00:11

Or you can buy an Alpine deck like I did and have it working in all sorts of new ways. Remote control and the Display work with the iPod, very nice!

..::| www.zogdog.com |::..
stonyc

Send a message via AIM to stonyc  
2005-02-08, 11:01

I used to use the Griffin iTrip until it just stopped working all of a sudden... it wouldn't find a station at all (tried installing just one, then some, then all of the stations... none worked). It all seemed to coincide with one of the iTunes updates. I've looked everywhere for any sort of troubleshooting, and no go... so now I'm back to the cassette adapter, and in all honesty I think the cassette adapted sounds alot better than the iTrip ever did: no minute scratches in the background, it can go to a much higher volume..
defaultmike

2005-02-09, 20:59

iTrip works well, but only if you can find a truly clear station... does anyone have any experience with the "XtremeMac AirPlay FM Transmitter"?

My iTrip just broke... again (after it broke the 1st time I opened it up and figured out that some of the wires were loose, so I soddered it... and then again, then again, now I finally gave up, I'm just gonna buy one again...

But I wanted to know if there's anything better than it available right now... No cassete tapes though...