Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

AdiumX - Progress to 1.0

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AdiumX - Progress to 1.0
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-10-04, 21:01

Currently, you can see the official home page here.
The latest "release" version is 0.77.
The latest "beta" version is 0.8rc1. (for the 0.8 release)
The beta page is here.

You are welcome. ( I know I can't be the ONLY person who has been looking for the "latest" adium and didn't want to go through the trouble of building it from source myself...)

Use this thread for the discussion of adiumX. I'll leave it to someone else to explain the app to the uninitiated... I'm off to backup my preferences and give it a whirl. (I just found the page.)

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)

Last edited by Paul : 2004-10-05 at 18:29.
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-10-04, 21:06

Quote:
- Group chat support:
* Create group chats over AIM, Yahoo, and Jabber
* Invite other users to group chats
* Many UI improvements
looks like you guys might have to put up with me this wednesday ...

Quote:
- (AIM) Autoresponses to properly tell other clients that the message is an autoresponse
this will clear up a bunch of confusion as well...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-10-04, 21:12

I think your first post is a bit misleading. Adium is still far from "1.0 status" and will be for a very long time (much like projects like Camino and Firefox). The current beta releases are for version 0.7, not 1.0.

That said...

I've been following Adium's development for a long time and had made a couple different threads about it in the past. I'm excited about the upcoming release too, but I hadn't deemed it ready enough for me to make a thread about it. Since you did, though, I won't resist replying.

The current string of beta releases should be used with extreme caution. There have been some serious issues in the 0.7 batches that have caused a number of people headaches (buddies and buddy lists being deleted, lots of crashes, etc). The buddy deletion bug was nasty because it actually removed buddies from AIM's server; so, backing up your own preferences wouldn't help. So, know that you've been warned. There are reasons why these beta releases aren't made immediately visible to the public.

Among the best features in the new 0.7 release is the updated contact list. It's ultra-customizable and now supports meta-contacts (multiple buddies under one name). The 0.7 release also adds support for Rendezvous chatting so you don't even have to connect to another "real" service to chat on the LAN.

The log viewer is awesome, but I can't remember if its update is new to 0.7 or not.

It still has other major drawbacks, though. Getting file transfers and direct connect sessions to work is worse than a shot in the dark. If you are behind a router (hard or wireless) or a proxy or anything remotely more complex than a direct line to a dedicated IP address, don't expect FT or DC to work for a very long time. Also, chat's don't display background colors as AIM sends them. This is because of the WebKit implementation of the chat viewer and I believe is on a to-do list for improvement in the future.

My judgment? It's awesome. Just be careful with those betas. YMMV and such.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-10-04, 21:54

<procrastinating from writing an english paper for tomorrow>

The log viewer is awesome, it is the best idea to view logs that shows up AIM style. I am still using .62, as .63 doesn't run on my computer more then 10 seconds after it downloads my buddy list.

I'm using a self modified smooth operator theme, just because it looks the best...it's damn sexy and clean.

As for file transfer or direct connect, well that is one thing I am a little upset about, and wish they could get that working. It's the one reason I still have to have AIM in my dock. Oddly I find myself using this feature often enough, that it's a hassle and I can't recommend it to others until it gets this feature.

As for the misleading thread title...you better believe it, I was all excited and shocked to think it could be at 1.0! So Paul, you bastard

</procrastinating from writing an english paper for tomorrow>
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-10-04, 21:56

Simply put, I love Adium for what it is, and hate it for what it isn't. If it weren't for a few small things, I'd use it exclusively over iChat. My biggest gripes, direct connect and file transfers. Brad said that they won't work for a long time I've gotta say that I'm extremely disappointed by that. I use DC and file transfers a lot, and so I can't use Adium when I know I'm going to do one.

It's slow, and I understand, it is still sub 1.0, so that's entirely excusable. No AV capabilities. I actually use iChat AV for the AV features. The contact list is somewhat confusing, and I don't much care for the message display styles.

I'd love to use Adium more as it's a very strong app, but until some things get fixed, I have to stick with iChat.

Come waste your time with me
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-10-04, 22:24

Re: misleading thread title... I don't know what you guys are talking about "progress" implies that it is moving in the direction of 1.0 (which is true) but not there yet (which is also true). The degree of the progress is debatable, much akin to Bush saying that we are "making progress" in Iraq...
wasn't intended to be misleading and I added a reference to what version "release" the beta is for... (and lets not make this thread a referendum on the title/bush analogies...)

I'll try to keep the first post updated with the latest release figures...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
ast3r3x

2004-10-04, 22:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Re: misleading thread title... I don't know what you guys are talking about "progress" implies that it is moving in the direction of 1.0 (which is true) but not there yet (which is also true). The degree of the progress is debatable, much akin to Bush saying that we are "making progress" in Iraq...
wasn't intended to be misleading and I added a reference to what version "release" the beta is for... (and lets not make this thread a referendum on the title/bush analogies...)

I'll try to keep the first post updated with the latest release figures...
Don't waver on your stand, it's what the terrorists would want

I just disagree with your thinking, I mean why chose 1.0, why not 2.0 or 3.0, it would still be true statements
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-10-04, 23:17

This just in!!

"Apple is making progress towards Mac OS X 11.8!!"

Hey, you started it!
Wrao
Yarp

2004-10-05, 00:02

I'm really looking forward to the next version. The new UI will probably be all I need to finally make the switch, I still love iChat, but there are a bunch of little things that are starting to get annoying, I'm ready to move on( but not without a UI that looks exactly like iChat )
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-10-05, 01:12

I dont know how I missed this app. This one rocks too. Too bad it doesnt do file transfers because it does everything I ever wanted out of an IM program otherwise. I cant wait to see what else they add to this wicked app in the future.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-10-05, 01:17

Well, perhaps I dinged Adium too badly on the file transfer bit...?

File transfer is implemented. It works. It transfers files under certain circumstances.

However, it only works if you aren't being a router, firewall, or proxy. Also, there is no GUI to show progress or status. If you open Console.app and pull up Adium's log, you can monitor the progress and status there, but how many people even know what Console.app IS?

Unfortunately, I get the impression from the Adium forums that this is very low priority. Apparently, none of them have to work behind routers and file transfer just works beautifully for them.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-10-05, 02:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Apparently, none of them have to work behind routers and file transfer just works beautifully for them.
That's F-ing silly.
What a huge oversight. Hope they take notice of this issue and do something about it soon.

Who in the home market doesn't work behind a router?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-10-05, 08:42

I tried Adium and was really impressed - it is great being able to use one app to chat with AIM and MSN friends - but I did not realise about the file transfer problems and was stuck waiting for about five minutes once when getting something from a fellow AN member and it was embarrassing - mainly due to my lack of knowledge about this issue. Anyway, I quit and reverted to iChat for the file transfer and have not returned to Adium as yet.

I might have to give this a shot again though.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
SledgeHammer

2004-10-06, 12:37

I have used adium for a long time, and I love it. The file transfer glitch bothers me, but I just use iChat. I have five or six screen names, so it's no big deal. I keep 3 of them signed in with adium, 1 of them with iChat (for transfers and AV stuff) and leave the others for when I am at a computer somewhere else. Every update of adium makes me happy.
ast3r3x

2004-10-08, 20:44

Does anyone else have the annoyance of when you log on that when it's loading your buddy list that it shows people that aren't on for a second or two.

Specifically I always notice a girl I haven't talked to in a while, and I'm always excited for a second, then disappointed. I mean not a big problem because I know, but you know, I notice it.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-10-08, 21:13

I have noticed that it will show that people are logging on before they actually log on totally. That and when people fake being offline, it shows them logging off when they have been shown to be offline in the first place.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-04-29, 10:14

.8 is almost ready (rc1)
the same beta page still works...

getting closer to 1.0...

I'd edit the original post but I'm not allowed.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-29, 10:20

Edited for you, Paul.

And, for what it's worth, my enthusiasm for Adium has been hampered for a while. 0.8 offers some great new features, but at the cost of some other features and the obfuscation of parts of the UI. I'm going to have to look at Proteus again sometime soon.

ast3r3x

2005-04-29, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Edited for you, Paul.

And, for what it's worth, my enthusiasm for Adium has been hampered for a while. 0.8 offers some great new features, but at the cost of some other features and the obfuscation of parts of the UI. I'm going to have to look at Proteus again sometime soon.
Care to expand on that?
Random Hero

2005-04-29, 11:35

I'd like them to sit down and address the File Transfer issues that I, along with many others are STILL not able to get working.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-29, 12:00

The official position from Adam Iser is basically "it's too hard for us to attempt; so, we'll just let it languish until someone else comes along and gives us code that works."

Quote:
YEAH, FILE TRANSFER DOESNT WORK SO HOT THROUGH FIREWALLS AND ROUTERS. WHEN IM AT HOME I USUALLY CANT GET THEM WORKING EITHER, BUT EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE ONE WILL GO THROUGH AND ITS A NICE SURPRISE.

NOW THAT WE HAVE A SPIFFY FILE TRANSFER INTERFACE COMING IN 0.8 SOMEBODY MIGHT BE INSPIRED TO LOOK INTO THE FILE TRANSFER CODE AND SEE ABOUT IMPROVING IT. NO PROMISES THOUGH, IF IT WERE EASY SOMEBODY OUT THERE WOULD HAVE ALREADY KNOCKED IT OUT IM SURE.
He got so fed up with every single user asking about file transfer that he went and broke his caps lock key.