Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Merging iTunes Libraries

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Merging iTunes Libraries
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-06-07, 05:43

I have a question about how you would go about merging two iTunes libraries, without ending up with multiple copies of songs that they have in common.

Here's the situation: My girlfriend and I each have a Powerbook and iPod. When she first got hers, while my music library was 25Gb or so, she copied my library in it's entirety. Now both libraries are up to about 30GB, but with different music. What I'd like to do is re-combine them, but without ending up with 2 copies of everything that existed in the original 25GB. If I copy one library on top of another, will it replce files on a file-by file or a folder by folder basis? Ie; If I have two songs by, say U2, and she has two different ones, and I copy that folder across, will it replace the whole U2 folder or will I end up with a u2 folder with 4 songs in?

Any ideas how I can get around this? how would you go about it?

Kit available: 2 Powerbooks, with less than 20gb left on each HD. One 80Gb external with about 45GB left and 2 40GB iPods, each with 30GB odd full of music. The music libraries are synced on the p'books and respective iPods.

Many thanks in advance
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-06-07, 08:15

I merged all of my collections (5 computers and 1 MP3 player) onto one drive and then used iTunes to sort them. In the menus of iTunes there is a selection to display duplicate songs. I was then able to remove all the doubles and triples and such. Worked great and only took a couple of hours.

I know it isn't exactly what you asked, but it worked for me.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Stevuh

Send a message via AIM to Stevuh  
2005-06-07, 22:09

http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...Itunes+library

here is your previous thread about the exact same question where i have already answered your question for you.

"History will be kind to me because i intend to write it" -- Winston Churchill

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. -- Winston Churchill
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-06-08, 02:24

You know I searched for that, but couldn't find it. So I convinced myself it must have been another forum. Anyway, that method uses more HD space than I have available. never mind, I am resigned to doing it semi-manually by working out the date on which the libraries diverged and taking everything after that date from hers onto the FWHD and getting it from there.