AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Updated WWDC schedule with new tidbits

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Updated WWDC schedule with new tidbits
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2004-07-02, 21:10

Now that Apple has announced Tiger they've filled in some missing pieces from their WWDC Descriptions.

Quote:
Introducing PDFKit PDFKit is a powerful set of Cocoa classes that allows you to incorporate a rich PDF viewing experience in your application. PDFKit easily handles all the details relating to PDF display, navigation, selection, and searching. PDFKit also supports a variety of ways to customize your application's interaction with PDF documents. Attend this session to learn about leveraging the power of PDF in your application.
Sounds promising. My God PDF reading sucks on my PC. I'm highly jealous that you all have Preview which is nice small and fast. I think PDF is important. Hopefully this kit is adopted by those who need it.

Quote:
New Development Quartz 2D is the powerful 2D graphics engine in Mac OS X, with advanced features such as transparency, anti-aliasing, and PDF support. Exciting new developments in Quartz 2D will be discussed in this session along with a focus on best practices you should follow to get the most out of Quartz 2D. This session is a must see for all WWDC attendees who use 2D graphics in their applications.
A poster over at MacNN was able to enable this in Tiger Preview and text rendering doubled. More optimizations are sure to come.

Quote:
This looks new HDRI ImageIO is Mac OS X's unified architecture for opening and saving popular image file formats. Come to this session to learn how the ImageIO Quartz-friendly API simplifies working with TIFF, PNG, JPEG, and JPEG-2000. Additionally, ImageIO supports high dynamic range (HDR) formats, such as OpenEXR and floating point TIFF, that extend visual fidelity far beyond today's 32-bit images. Come to this session to learn about ImageIO and HDR imaging. This is a must-see session for developers working in digital video, cinema, and photography spaces.
HDRI is also used in 3D for radiosity. They left that out conspicuously, I wonder if Apple has more tricks up there sleeve here.

Quote:
Quartz Composer Quartz Composer is a development tool provided with Mac OS X v10.4 for processing and rendering graphical data. It allows developers to use Quartz 2D, Core Image, Core Video, OpenGL, and QuickTime technologies through a visual programming environment. Developers can use Quartz Composer as an exploratory tool to learn the tasks each visual technology performs without having to learn the application programming interface (API) for that technology. Come to this session to learn how to discover Mac OS X's incredible new graphics technologies.
Revamped Pixelshox. The Developer says he cannot speak about the company he works for until a product is announced. Could that be Motion or something new?

Quote:
Xcode Modeling and Design Want to take your software design skills to the next level? Learn about Xcode's new design tools for object design and persistent object modeling. With these new tools you can view and edit a visual model of your object-oriented code in C++, Objective-C, or Java, and use the model to navigate your source base. Then, create an object graph of your application's object model, and automatically generate a schema for Cocoa's new Persistence Framework.
I don't remember seeing this before. It sounds new. Anyone familiar with Xcode want to chime in?

Quote:
Introducting Core Data This session provides an overview of the new Core Data framework in Cocoa. It will focus on the new functionality provided for managing and persisting model objects, which includes automatic undo/redo, input validation, and saving to various types of "persistent stores" (SQL and XML).
I have no idea how this will affect OSX. But it's definitely new.

Quote:
Advanced Core Data Learn about the more advanced features of the new Core Data framework, including how to work with multiple persistent stores at the same time, how to use predefined fetch requests and predicates to find your objects, how to get more out of your validation rules, and how to manipulate schemas at runtime.
More Core Data

Quote:
Introducing Sun Java Studio Creator Sun Java Studio Creator (formerly Project Rave) is a next-generation tool for Java application development designed from the ground up to deliver the promise of Java to millions of developers via new technology, ease-of-development features and vastly improved developer productivity. This session will provide you with an overview of the product, some principles of ease-of-development as they apply to Creator and a detailed walk-through of its productivity features and capabilities on Mac OS X.
Better Java support is much welcomed
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-07-02, 21:36

core data = metadata

java apparently SCREAMS on 10.4
I really can't wait...
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2004-07-02, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
core data = metadata

java apparently SCREAMS on 10.4
I really can't wait...
That's kind of what I though Paul. Thanks and I agree it looks like Apple put some attention into Java. PDF support looks good too.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-02, 22:19

Wow. Those are all exciting developments. wooT!¡
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2004-07-02, 22:29

Hmmm support for OpenEXR and Floating Point TIFF(an insane 32bits per pixel)

http://www.openexr.com/samples.html

Yup Apple you'll definitely have my $129
Harald

2004-07-03, 12:41

I may be wrong, but it seems to me this OS fucking wr0XxorZ.

Cough.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-07-03, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
core data = metadata
While I'm pretty sure Spotlight uses CoreData, CoreData is essentially Enterprise Objects Framework Lite convolved with the document model system of Cocoa.

Which means...

You have your data in memory, you set up how to save it out to a file format... or database... or whatever... and your core logic and data model never have to change.

So, *just suppose* that somewhere down the road Apple whips up a database file system. Guess what apps have to change to be compliant? Maybe a few lines of code. At most.

This facilitates the developer by helping them form an XML schema (which can be a bitch) for their data, spooling it out, reading it in, etc, etc, etc... which can *also* be used to create an SQL schema (remember, they're shipping with SQLite in 10.4), so you can save it to a database with a simple change or two.

Of course, I'm just guessing, but this seems to be the most logical progression.

Oh yeah... this is excellent.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2004-07-03, 14:15

Kickaha yeah you're not the only one to call it EOF lite. This is interesting. Does iLife currently share a common db or do all the apps have their own db? Would there be a benefit from encompassing all the iLife apps into one db so that future changes to the fs etc would require less work?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-07-03, 14:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison
Kickaha yeah you're not the only one to call it EOF lite.
I'm not? You mean I might actually have this right? *gasp*

Quote:
This is interesting. Does iLife currently share a common db or do all the apps have their own db? Would there be a benefit from encompassing all the iLife apps into one db so that future changes to the fs etc would require less work?
Not really, what it would mean is that each iLife app could have it's own database that was more readily accessible to outside apps, so instead of having to have iTunes running to get track info, a utility could instead just read the SQLite database (for instance), or XML files if they were there instead, etc. Basically it just gives developers a way of moving between flat files and databases transparently, to ensure that when dbfs's come down the pipe, they're *ready* for them, instead of *reacting* to them.

MS is going to have a serious problem on their hands with their developers when their database file system hits, since apps will have to be seriously rewritten for it. Not optionally, it'll be required. Not trivially, it'll suck.

This future-proofs Mac developers for the inevitable.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2004-07-03, 14:48

Yup pi agrees with you

and so does argod at macnn

I am clueless on EOF and actually though it was a technology from NeXT that was being relatively abandoned.

I see the strategy here. Preparing developers for developing in a way that deals effectively with db schema while at the same time getting end users familiar with search methods that favor this structure(Spotlight)

Ok time to get Trekkie

Apple is decloaking and lowering shields ready to fire the warbirds arsenal at Longhorn. Apple's the nimble one here but Longhorn has superior size and firepower. Looks like 10.5 will take that last step to engage the photon torpedoes and launch an offensive. 2007 is going to be an interesting battle glad I'll be a part of that as a grunt soldier.

Last edited by hmurchison : 2004-07-03 at 14:58. Reason: typing errata<sigh>
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-07-03, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison
Yup pi agrees with you

and so does argod at macnn

I am clueless on EOF and actually though it was a technology from NeXT that was being relatively abandoned.

I see the strategy here. Preparing developers for developing in a way that deals effectively with db schema while at the same time getting end users familiar with search methods that favor this structure(Spotlight)

Ok time to get Trekkie

Apple is decloaking and lowering shields ready to fire the warbirds arsenal at Longhorn. Apple's the nimble one here but Longhorn has superior size and firepower. Looks like 10.5 will take that last step to engage the photon torpedoes and launch an offensive. 2007 is going to be an interesting battle glad I'll be a part of that as a grunt soldier.
You're a total dork. I mean that in the most high form of praise. Thanks for the great thread. I'm pretty sure I understand what all of this new OS enhancement means to the user, if not the specifics of its benefits. I'm excited.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2004-07-03, 18:31

sunrein I warned you with the face that something extremely stoopid was comin'.

Man I'm not going to have any free time come fall...in addition to all the math I have to take this next year I have to absorb basic programming principals. I'm gonna be reading until my eyeball dry out. Well at any rate "Catfish" and "Dhaveconfig" from Ars- Mac Ach are most enamored with Core Data's implications. Kickaha has explained it well I believe but to be fair the concept is still way over my head as far as how deep EOF lite will go and it's ramifications. With two sessions including an advanced session it seems important enough. Red Alert! LOL