Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

New PB & programming software

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New PB & programming software
Mommy8me

Send a message via AIM to Mommy8me  
2005-08-15, 15:22

So this evening I'm going to pick up a 12" PB superdrive from the apple store!

My main concern is that in a lot of my EE classes I have to do x86 programming. What are my options? (This will be my only computer)

Completely new to OSX (except we used it for some physics labs)... but this forum made the decision to switch an easy one!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-15, 15:25

x86 programming...any language in particular?

You could install the developer tools on your Mac and learn some xCode too.
Mommy8me

2005-08-15, 15:30

if we just have to turn in code like the .c files etc am I golden?
Mommy8me

2005-08-15, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
x86 programming...any language in particular?

You could install the developer tools on your Mac and learn some Xcode too.
Do you have to *buy* the dev tools off of their website?
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-15, 15:40

Nope, they'll come ready to install with your computer, but I don't believe they come pre-installed. I think if the user wants them enough, they'll install themselves. Developer tools aren't really a necessity for the average (or even the above average) consumer.

I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for in terms of programming. If you Google around for stuff I'm sure you'll find something. There's all sorts of free editors, compilers, and the like out there for c, c++, Java...ect. I got 651,000 hits Googling for "free c compiler for Mac OS X." Assess your needs and see what you can find.

By the way, welcome to the world of Apple, hope it's enjoyable for you.

Come waste your time with me
Mommy8me

2005-08-15, 15:43

awesome! thank you so much for your help. I'm definitely going to mess around with it when i come back home with my pb!
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-08-15, 16:47

the dev tools made by apple include customized versions of the GNU compiler collection, with some advanced and nice looking UI over them. u can write c code in any text editor. the dev tools have a great IDE (Xcode), including a code editor, compiler and debugger.

EE classes probably will get into low-level x86-specific stuff. for that you'll need 1) an x86 computer, or 2) an x86 emulator. bochs is an ok emulator. i use it mostly for booting a very minor x86 emu machine on my ppc boxes every so often. virtual pc is probably better for running windows, or a full os. virtual pc costs money though, and bochs is free.

there are some quirks to windows coding that aren't found in many other OSes. and to the x86 processor (just as there are architecture-dependant features for osx, and the ppc proc). in EE class they should go over some architecture dependant stuff, as it applies to your coursework. if ur teacher uses an x86 box to test ur code, u should get an emulator.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-08-15, 22:58

The dev tools don't come pre-installed; they're an installer file in /Documents/Installers (IIRC) to begin with. Just run the file (I think it's Xcode20.pkg, or something like that), and you'll have the dev tools installed.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2005-08-15, 23:42

You can also register with apple as a developer (the basic variant is free) and then have access to their developer resources. See http://developer.apple.com/

Of course, if you could wait some more months - Apple is switching to intel processors. So sometime next year you would be able to buy a x86 Mac ...
Mommy8me

2005-08-17, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak
the dev tools made by apple include customized versions of the GNU compiler collection, with some advanced and nice looking UI over them. u can write c code in any text editor. the dev tools have a great IDE (Xcode), including a code editor, compiler and debugger.

EE classes probably will get into low-level x86-specific stuff. for that you'll need 1) an x86 computer, or 2) an x86 emulator. bochs is an ok emulator. i use it mostly for booting a very minor x86 emu machine on my ppc boxes every so often. virtual pc is probably better for running windows, or a full os. virtual pc costs money though, and bochs is free.

there are some quirks to windows coding that aren't found in many other OSes. and to the x86 processor (just as there are architecture-dependant features for osx, and the ppc proc). in EE class they should go over some architecture dependant stuff, as it applies to your coursework. if ur teacher uses an x86 box to test ur code, u should get an emulator.
Bochs you say? I am going to google that now!!

And yes, the professor will be using an x86 box to test the code. I might just go ahead and buy virtual pc.

Love my new powerbook! So glad i picked the 12" superdrive