User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Webpage for the official AN MC server?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Which design do you prefer?
Bonn's 0 0%
dmegatool's first 0 0%
dmegatool's second 4 30.77%
Brad's 9 69.23%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

MC: Webpage for the official AN MC server?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-10, 15:01

So I need a favor: If you navigate to mc.applenova.com you see a plain text saying nothing here. How about a basic page with a creeper or other such MineCraft like theme to it. Maybe a link to AN, directions to do basics via links etc.

Anyone want to throw something together that's very basic (ie, no flash) so it won't impact server performance but give a nicer landing if someone decides to manually navigate to it via browser?

Maybe we could make it a contest of some sort too!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2011-04-10, 15:21

Maybe just a pic of the AppleNova sign would do. Kinda says it all....
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-10, 16:21

709: I like the AN sign/name idea actually! So who want's to code it? I'm not a coder.
Bonn89

2011-04-10, 16:38

Turtle, if you'd like I'll try my hand. Just a simple (yet pretty) HTML page with a nice image and links to tutorials, Minecraft.net, Applenova, and maybe even a small gallery of images pulled from the server shouldn't be too difficult! (and will further justify my purchasing Coda :P)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-10, 20:02

By all means, I'll take anything I can get. I was going to just get a big creeper png and throw it up. Something useful would be better.

I'm ok with images being local to the server, the heart behind it is that it doesn't suck up resources that should be given to the game. Thus the no flash declaration. Use CSS and whatever else you'd like but remember: basic in technology. Rich in detail if you'd like. . I just want something worthy of AN's name.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Bonn89

2011-04-10, 21:04

Would the community be interested with a small section listing all the active player's AN names, Minecraft names, and a small portrait of their Minecraft character in whatever skin they tend to use? I think that'd be pretty cool, although obviously more work to keep up with as people change their skins.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-10, 21:32

It would be interesting, but I don't think the extra work would be worth it. I'm not even sure it's a good idea to have it directly list user names. Maybe something about it being a whitelisted server and how to request access through AN/link, but that's about all I think would be good.

It could be cool to see who was active on the server "live" but not sure how that could be done. Plus, now we are really getting away from a good basic landing page. It does sound very interesting though!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-10, 22:43

Agreed. Let's keep the page as basic HTML. Dynamically generating pages in PHP/Python/Java/etc. all have the potential to sap resources away from what's important.

I might throw a version in for consideration if I can pull myself away from just playing the game in my spare time.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-10, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I might throw a version in for consideration if I can pull myself away from just playing the game in my spare time.
On that note, here's an idea. Any of us interested in making a page should make one by next weekend, post a link (or screenshot if you don't have hosting) in this thread, and we'll vote on it. Yay or nay?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bonn89

2011-04-10, 22:54

Sounds like a great idea to me!

Here's what I whipped up in the last hour or so. I made sure to incorporate the forum's color scheme into the whole thing.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/412263/novacraft/index.html

Lemme know what you think!

admin edit: screenshot!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-10, 23:08

Great idea Brad!

It's official then. A poll will be opened to chose which submitted page will be the index.html for the server.

Basic limitations: Static content only. I don't want to say HTML only, but I don't code so we'll go with static content only.

You can include an images folder for the server as long as the images are very small in footprint. Links out side of the game server are preferred since it takes more load off of the game server.

The goal is something better than what's there now but fitting for AppleNova.

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-12, 13:45

I did a quick design for you fellows, even if I don't play or intend to play Minecraft. I ditched the Applenova sign for an hollywood font to make it cleaner. Could use a regular font... with the image removed, it doesn't make that much sense now. Anyway, I haven't done the html/css file. I'll do so only if I win

Thanks to Bonn89 for the text, I pretty much just copied it... But I'm giving you the credits so it's ok

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Bonn89

2011-04-12, 14:18

Oooh, that looks MUCH better than mine!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-12, 22:30

Nice entry! Thanks for giving us another option.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-13, 02:39

Can we do multiple entries or is it like the photo challenge thread ?

I had a couple a minutes laying around and was about to tweak my submitted design... I ended with a second one. Same stuff, different presentation.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-04-13, 08:39

I haven't even signed up for MC yet and I like the 2nd one better. Thematically on the money.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-13, 20:31

I do like the second one better too! It really does fit the game more I think.

Anyone else gonna take their chance at getting picked?
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-13, 21:08

What can fit more the game than a Creeper face ?

I changed the typo on the first one. The hollywood thing didn't make any sense without the picture. So it's pixelated font for all !

Last edited by dmegatool : 2011-04-14 at 00:09.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-15, 11:29

Pretty quiet on the submissions front
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-15, 11:45

I have one in mind but haven't taken the time to hash it out. Tonight!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-15, 20:24

I'm looking forward to seeing what's out there for this simple task. Surely more want to submit an option?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-15, 20:29

I really don't think I could do better than dmegatool's second. I would change the link in the second paragraph to be "this thread" rather than "GamingNova subforum," but that'd be about it. I like the blocks

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-16, 01:39

Finally! My submission:

I wrote this as an HTML page, but I haven't ported the Webkit-specific CSS bits (gradient, drop-shadow) to work in Firefox and the markup is a little ugly at the moment. So, all you get is an image for now.

I specifically worded the opening text here to reflect that anyone accessing the page must have gotten there by mistake since the web page itself isn't advertised in links anywhere. The only way someone could get to it would be by reading one of our Minecraft threads or by word of mouth (which you must admit is unlikely).

I themed it very closely to the standard AppleNova Pro theme since the page lives just off the main applenova.com domain like the forums. I kinda threw it together in a rush tonight, but overall I'm satisfied with the general appearance. I'd like to add another narrow frame to both sides of the embedded image, but I didn't have time to trek out to the other locations I had in mind.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Unlike the other submissions here, I'm also using my texture pack for the graphics. Wait… looking closer at Bonn's screenshot... why aren't you using my pack, man?!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-16, 02:17

Ooh ooh ooh.

I vote for Brad's.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-16, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Ooh ooh ooh.

I vote for Brad's.
Admin's ass licker
Bonn89

2011-04-16, 10:36

Quote:
Unlike the other submissions here, I'm also using my texture pack for the graphics. Wait… looking closer at Bonn's screenshot... why aren't you using my pack, man?!
I flip flop between lots of texture packs. :P

Plus, when someone new logs into Minecraft, they're going to see stock textures the first time, so they COULD be confused as to why Minecraft doesn't look as beautiful as it does with your textures..

Spoiler (click to toggle):
*That's* how you be a suck-up to an Admin! :P
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-16, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn89 View Post
Spoiler (click to toggle):
*That's* how you be a suck-up to an Admin! :P
... Yep, that's how you do it

You could even push it a little bit more
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-16, 13:15

Trying to name the locations in Brads screenshots: l-r: mob trap, the sphere, Bridgeport. They're easy. Next one is...??? Last one I think is the exchange. With someone in it - I'm guessing it's me if the screenshots were taken last night but the armor means it could be one of several people.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-16, 16:20

SpecMode's house on mob hill I think.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-16, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
Admin's ass licker
But I think you can see a tiny sliver of the garden where my house will be on the edge of his Bridgeport screen! I want to make a difference.

Also, I'm never going to not vote for Minecraft speedholes. And it does nicely match the rest of the site. I am all about the matchy matchy.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong