User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Storms...
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-05-30, 22:55

Damn, this sucks. Massive storm system moving through right now. The tornado warning for this cell expired, but it still looks pretty nasty.

Maybe I'll go put on the Twister soundtrack or something.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-05-30, 23:03

WHERE did you get that amazing radar image, and how are you getting a signal from down inside your storm shelter?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-05-30, 23:06

I had a friend of mine grab that for me, he has this: http://www.grlevelx.com/grlevel3/

The storm looks like it's starting to fall apart, so I'm not in any shelter or anything yet. I'm waiting to see how it looks when it gets closer.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-05-30, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
I had a friend of mine grab that for me, he has this: http://www.grlevelx.com/grlevel3/

The storm looks like it's starting to fall apart, so I'm not in any shelter or anything yet. I'm waiting to see how it looks when it gets closer.
It shouldn't be bad by the time it hits you. It's breaking up my way. The worst of it was north of me, but even that part is starting to die down. You'll be alright.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-05-31, 00:13

I've just spent a few minutes looking for a Mac equivalent to that image software..... and I've given up. Good luck, stay safe.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-05-31, 00:20

weathertap.com has one in Java, but it's subscription only.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-06-03, 19:32

Oh here we go again... Tornado warnings and shit. *Watches radar*
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-06-03, 20:03

We've been under a tornado watch for hours, and I just heard thunder for the first time all day. The weather seems to be developing in my area this time, so you might see something. Stay safe, PKI.

[edit] I spoke too soon. There's a tornado warning just south of me. The cell over my town is connected to that one, so I might see something tonight.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-06-03, 20:18

Just got a tornado warning here. Peace, kids.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-06-03, 20:21

Duck and cover, man.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-06-03, 20:44

Yeah, I'm glad I live where the hurricanes outnumber the tornadoes. At least you can see a hurricane coming from hundreds of miles away and haul ass. Good luck, fcgriz.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-06-04, 06:04

The bad storms ended up being just southeast of here. It's actually worse here now than it was last night, but I think the worst of it for today has just about passed. There's some minor flooding here, but we managed to dodge the (2-4) tornados.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-06-04, 06:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Yeah, I'm glad I live where the hurricanes outnumber the tornadoes. At least you can see a hurricane coming from hundreds of miles away and haul ass. Good luck, fcgriz.
We might be a nation of people who constantly complain about the weather, but it's completely benign compared to that sort of thing that affects parts of the US. (That being said, I'd love to actually see a tornado)
ctt1wbw

2008-06-04, 07:53

Well, at least you can get McEwan's Scotch Ale where you live. I have to drive out of state to get it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-04, 09:10

We've had some real nutball weather here in southeast Tennessee the past 4-5 days...ridiculously humid and warm periods, and then, out of nowhere, the most hellacious, "we gonna die!" storms I've ever seen, dumping tons of rain, thunder and lightning all over the place, winds, tornado watches/warnings, etc. One hour later, the sun is back out and the steam/mist is rising off the asphalt and it's back to "jungle mode".

Currently it's 78 and sunny (climbing up to 94 today...ugh), but some severe storms are in the forecast, off and on throughout the day. May-June is usually like this, but things just seem a bit more drastic and violent than usual. Maybe because I'm just paying attention more, and noticing the sweeps.

ctt1wbw

2008-06-04, 09:22

Yeah, the weather the last few years is getting really strange. I remember the first summer in our new house here in Hampton Roads (Yorktown). We didn't even have the a/c on. It was simply gorgeous. Then the next few summers we measured the temp in Kelvin.

It's up and down, up and down. The weather guessers here can't get it right to save their lives.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-06-04, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
We might be a nation of people who constantly complain about the weather, but it's completely benign compared to that sort of thing that affects parts of the US. (That being said, I'd love to actually see a tornado)
Wait until you see one forming directly over your head. Bring a spare pair of shorts.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-06-04, 13:11

Whee, that was nasty. The worst was over when I went to bed about 3, it was still storming but just some low rumbling and lightning. I got woken up at 7 by some "holy SHIT the world is ending" quality thunder crashing, which went on for a little while then tapered off.

Got another tornado watch here through 4PM, but it doesn't look like it's going to heat up enough to cause any real concern. Bad flooding through, like 4" or more of rain here in a fairly short amount of time.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-06-04, 17:24

*Sigh*

Tracking right at me and these have 70mph wind in them...
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2008-06-04, 17:54

Good luck down there, PKI. We've been okay so far up here in the Toledo area, but some nasty ones have gone just south of us in the past week.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-06-04, 19:11

We had a tornado touch down about two blocks away the other week. That was fun.

Then we started getting some hail. Thankfully it seems we didn't get the worst stuff, some of the hail was over 2" across, which isn't Texas hail or anything, but pretty damn big for this far north.

I did take a quick movie of it though. Once it's done uploading you should be able to watch it.

http://gallery.mac.com/alcimedes#100056

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-06-04, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
We've had some real nutball weather here in southeast Tennessee the past 4-5 days...ridiculously humid and warm periods, and then, out of nowhere, the most hellacious, "we gonna die!" storms I've ever seen, dumping tons of rain, thunder and lightning all over the place, winds, tornado watches/warnings, etc. One hour later, the sun is back out and the steam/mist is rising off the asphalt and it's back to "jungle mode".
We have a name for weather like that down here.
We call it "Summertime".
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-04, 19:25

I've been to coastal Louisiana and the New Orleans area in the summer...multiple visits in June, July and August of 2004. Holy hell...it's just not right.

You sweat just standing there, breathing.

"How many showers do I gotta take? Damn!"
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-06-04, 19:27

Well, I'm talking about S. Florida - but, same difference!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-04, 19:29

Oh, I thought you were over in the Radiators backyard or something. Didn't you used to be?

Yeah, Central/South Florida is no picnic either. I've done that too.

I always feel sorry for that poor bastard in the Mickey or Goofy costume.

"Hey, are there little air conditioners in those suits?"
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-06-04, 19:34

I haven't lived in New Orleans since the 1980s - but I do continue to visit several times a year. And, the Radiators are coming here to see ME for the July 4th weekend!

I'll PM you your penance.....
drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-06-04, 20:30

I was in a flash flood down at Lake Sinclair two weekends ago, but the one I remember most is when we were in twelve inches of water on top of an OVERPASS somewhere around Orlando, Florida. Yes, Florida gets some stupid crazy rain (as compared to other places in the U.S.)

(I'm still kind of torqued that we can't access those GORGEOUS maps on the Mac, except via subscription.)

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-06-05, 08:27

We have a nice Thunderstorm with 50mph+ winds right now... keeping an eye out the window because I doubt if I'd even hear the siren.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2008-06-05, 12:46

Where I live the weather is mostly benign, of course. But a couple of weeks ago we had a violent (though brief) thunderstorm. I was sitting in the kitchen with the window open, listening to the impressive thunder. A particularly bright flash of lightning occurred, and was followed almost immediately by the loudest crack of thunder I have ever heard... not a hint of a rumble, but rather a sharp and incredibly loud crack, like a gunshot at close range. It echoed off the buildings in distinct reverberations, and after some time I actually smelt the lightning. A clear stench of sulphur in the air.
Quagmire
meh

2008-06-05, 12:58

Those storms that based by the DC area was fun. Amazingly we didn't lose power( always seem to lose power when weak storms pass by, but when monsters pass by we still have power). There was this huge gust of wind. Had the trees in the distance bent over so far they look like they might snap soon and water was forced against the window. Thought a twister might be coming and grabbed the cat, dog, and cell phone and ran to the basement and shoved them into a small bathroom. But, it turned out just to be a freakish gust of wind.

giggity